This website uses cookies to improve your experience navigating our site. By continuing to browse, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

OK, I understand

Announcing Our Next Exhibition, Katie Daniels' 'Unfolding Light'

TDF Collect

Today we reveal our first TDF Collect exhibition for the year, with an exciting new artist we’ve never featured before – Melbourne painter Katie Daniels!

We’re thrilled to host our first show with Katie, entitled ‘Unfolding Light‘. This collection of dreamy landscape paintings explores the human capacity to feel beauty and joy in times of great difficulty. Foreboding shadows contrast with glimmers of brightness in Katie’s highly evocative scenes.

Please join us and Katie for the opening on Saturday, March 2nd, with drinks from 2:00pm!

18th February, 2019

Katie in the studio, standing alongside the largest work in her upcoming exhibition, ‘Often in paradise‘. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

New works by Katie for her upcoming show. From left – ‘Travelling through‘, 60.1 x 45.7 cm, Oil paint on linen board. ‘I let it wash‘, 35.5 x 25.4 cm, Oil paint on linen board. ‘Someday‘, 20.3 x 25 cm, Oil paint on linen board. Photos – Amelia Stanwix.

Best believe‘ by Katie Daniels, 50.8 x 40.6 cm, Oil paint on linen board. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Katie at work in her studio. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Katie at work. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Studio details. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Studio details. Pictured on floor, ‘Luminous depth‘ and  ‘At the bend in the river‘. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Lucy Feagins
Monday 18th February 2019

Melbourne painter Katie Daniels is a quiet achiever. She holds a Bachelor of Creative Arts from the University of Wollongong, a Masters of Arts Curatorship from the University of Melbourne, and last year, was a finalist in the prestigious Wynne prize for landscape painting, which saw her work exhibited in esteemed company, at the Art Gallery of New South Wales!

We’ve been watching Katie from afar for a long while, so we’re more than a little excited to FINALLY announce this exhibition! ‘Unfolding Light‘ brings together seventeen luminous oil-on-linen paintings. For Katie, these dreamy landscapes represent moments of peace amidst times of upheaval, and speak to the power of hope and human resilience.

‘In a sense, I was following these moments of light to reach the place I now find myself. These works look back to what has been, and give thanks to what has led me here.’ Katie says.

Can you tell us a little bit about your background, how you came to study art and then pursue it as a career?

I have been drawing from a time before I remember concretely how or when it began.

I studied oil painting and still life painting after school as a preteen (which I really loved) and I always took art in school as a subject, and later studied it at university, going on to do an Honours, but I didn’t really have a subject matter that lit me up and I ended up doing, and studying, many other things with the intent of making them my career, before finally dedicating myself to my first love of art, and to my painting practice.

What has inspired the artworks in this exhibition?

I was thinking about light and sunshine; I certainly had an obsession with it coming back from European summer to our Melbourne winter last year. Looking in my photo reel in my phone for painting inspiration, I found myself drawn to summer landscapes, sun-drenched scenes, and when I was in the studio it was these images that I wanted to paint.

I found myself thinking about the time and history associated with each image, about finding joy and a sense of peace within whatever has happened, and about the sometimes lengthy process of becoming oneself.

Where do you typically create your art and are there any noteworthy materials, techniques and processes you use?

In the past I have used kitchen tables, garages, and last winter I was painting undercover in my partner’s father’s back yard. At the moment it’s the back living area in our house. I’m not a messy painter by any means, so its easy to pack myself up for the week.

I have set days in the studio which has allowed me to be more successful in my practice than not. I have a tendency to become colour obsessed and find that these colour obsessions then invade my mood board, wardrobe or other consumer choices, and visual preoccupations so life starts to imitate art in a way.

In my paintings I like to have thin surfaces of paint so I use linseed oil and sometimes solvent to thin the paint into washes of colour, and then to build the layers up slowly.

What’s one thing our readers might be surprised to know about you?

In the past I have (perhaps randomly) briefly studied nutrition and also completed my yoga teacher training. Although at present I do little with these qualifications and study in a professional sense, I still appreciate that they inform me as I am now.

What’s next for Katie Daniels?

Always more landscape painting of course, and some other potential opportunities in the works for later in the year; most exciting of these is a residency in France in October!

After the residency is complete my aim is to travel around the French countryside visiting gardens and sourcing inspiration and material for future body of works to be presented in 2020.

Please join us and Katie, for the opening of Unfolding Light next Saturday, March 2nd!

All the works in this show are now pictured on the TDF Collect website, and are available to purchase via email from today – enquiries, please email art@thedesignfiles.net.

Unfolding Light by Katie Daniels
March 2nd to 7th
TDF Collect
14 Little Oxford Street
Collingwood, Victoria

Saturday 2nd, 10:00am – 5:00pm, with opening drinks from 2:00pm – 5:00pm
Sunday 3rd, 11:00am – 3:00pm
Monday 4th, CLOSED
Tuesday 5th, 10:00 – 4:00pm
Wednesday 6th, 10:00 – 4:00pm
Thursday 7th, 10:00 – 4:00pm

This exhibition is generously supported by DuluxMagnum and Queens WineSample, and CAPI

This Week

Art

A New Direction For A Much-Loved Landscape Painter

Belynda Henry’s forthcoming exhibition, ‘Reflections’, is a bold new collection of oil-on-canvas landscapes.

Architecture

A Home In Three (Tiny) Parts

Atelier Chen Hung blasts open the idea of micro-living, with a literal hole in the middle of this tiny home!
Miriam McGarry
  19 hours ago

Studio Visit

The Self-Taught Painter Inspired By His Ethiopian Heritage

We visit Afro-Norwegian artist Olana Janfa in his Thornbury garden-shed studio, who paints to connect with his history and culture.
Sally Tabart
  3 hours ago

Art

5 Standout Installations At Melbourne's Newest Gallery

Corbett Lyon guides us though Lyon Housemuseum Galleries' inaugural exhibition, unveiling new works by Australia's contemporary art trailbla...

Travel

A Micro Hotel Room Inside An Upcycled Shipping Container

A pop-up hotel on a tiny footprint, touring Victorian wineries the autumn!

Architecture

A Bright, Breezy Addition Tucked Into A Beloved Home

The Annexe House by Bent Architecture in Pascoe Vale South, inspired by good old fashioned caravan holidays!
Miriam McGarry

Lighting

A Leading Lighting Designer Transforms An Underground Carpark

British product designer Lee Broom creates a breathtaking installation in the carpark of Space Furniture in Sydney – and it’s only open
Sally Tabart
  17 hours ago

Get A Good Night's Sleep, With These Top 10 Bed Linen Brands

Celebrating World Sleep Day (today!) with top tips for a good night's sleep, from ten of the best bed linen brands.

Homes

A Furniture Designer's New York-Style Loft Apartment

Nick McDonald of Made by Morgen shares his finely curated West Melbourne warehouse apartment.

Interiors

A Luxurious Family Home On Port Phillip Bay

First look at The Esplanade, a dreamy renovation in Brighton by award-winning interiors firm Golden.

News

Thomas Coward And Fiona Lynch Bring A Greek Marble Quarry To Collingwood

An exhibition that honours the ancient materials used in Artedomus’ ground-breaking furniture collection, New Volumes.
Sally Tabart

News

Coco Flip’s New Collection Is A Celebration Of Australian Craftsmanship

Combining timber, glass, and ceramics, Honey is a collaborative feat!

News

A New 'Work Shop' For Fiona Lynch

The celebrated Melbourne interior designer expands her offerings by opening a gallery space in Collingwood.
Sally Tabart

Interior Design

The Stella Collective's Award-Winning Interiors, From Palestine to Brisbane

Meet Hana Hakim the founder of a Melbourne interior design studio creating WOW-factor projects, both here and abroad.

News

Don't Miss The 'My General Store' Pop-Up This Weekend

Melbournians, you’ve got one day only to have an IRL try on of these Australian made designs in natural fabrics.
Miriam McGarry

View Comments

Similar Stories

Art

‘Quietly’ Suspended Landscapes By Wendy McDonald

Exploring place and ecology with an artist/farmer, working from the Murray River floodplain.
Miriam McGarry

Art

2018 Wynne Prize Finalists

A look at the works shortlisted for Australia’s most prestigious landscape painting award.

Art

7 Women Shaking Up The Australian Art Scene

The trailblazing artists making their own unique mark on Australia's creative landscape.

This Week

Homes

A Furniture Designer's New York-Style Loft Apartment

News

Coco Flip’s New Collection Is A Celebration Of Australian Craftsmanship

Combining timber, glass, and ceramics, Honey is a collaborative feat!

Architecture

Sally Tabart
  3 hours ago

Art

5 Standout Installations At Melbourne's Newest Gallery

Travel

A Micro Hotel Room Inside An Upcycled Shipping Container

A pop-up hotel on a tiny footprint, touring Victorian wineries the autumn!

News