This website uses cookies to improve your experience navigating our site. By continuing to browse, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

OK, I understand

Announcing Our Next Exhibition, Katie Daniels' 'Unfolding Light'

TDF Collect

Today we reveal our first TDF Collect exhibition for the year, with an exciting new artist we’ve never featured before – Melbourne painter Katie Daniels!

We’re thrilled to host our first show with Katie, entitled ‘Unfolding Light‘. This collection of dreamy landscape paintings explores the human capacity to feel beauty and joy in times of great difficulty. Foreboding shadows contrast with glimmers of brightness in Katie’s highly evocative scenes.

Please join us and Katie for the opening on Saturday, March 2nd, with drinks from 2:00pm!

18th February, 2019

Katie in the studio, standing alongside the largest work in her upcoming exhibition, ‘Often in paradise‘. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

New works by Katie for her upcoming show. From left – ‘Travelling through‘, 60.1 x 45.7 cm, Oil paint on linen board. ‘I let it wash‘, 35.5 x 25.4 cm, Oil paint on linen board. ‘Someday‘, 20.3 x 25 cm, Oil paint on linen board. Photos – Amelia Stanwix.

Best believe‘ by Katie Daniels, 50.8 x 40.6 cm, Oil paint on linen board. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Katie at work in her studio. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Katie at work. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Studio details. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Studio details. Pictured on floor, ‘Luminous depth‘ and  ‘At the bend in the river‘. Photo – Amelia Stanwix.

Lucy Feagins
Monday 18th February 2019

Melbourne painter Katie Daniels is a quiet achiever. She holds a Bachelor of Creative Arts from the University of Wollongong, a Masters of Arts Curatorship from the University of Melbourne, and last year, was a finalist in the prestigious Wynne prize for landscape painting, which saw her work exhibited in esteemed company, at the Art Gallery of New South Wales!

We’ve been watching Katie from afar for a long while, so we’re more than a little excited to FINALLY announce this exhibition! ‘Unfolding Light‘ brings together seventeen luminous oil-on-linen paintings. For Katie, these dreamy landscapes represent moments of peace amidst times of upheaval, and speak to the power of hope and human resilience.

‘In a sense, I was following these moments of light to reach the place I now find myself. These works look back to what has been, and give thanks to what has led me here.’ Katie says.

Can you tell us a little bit about your background, how you came to study art and then pursue it as a career?

I have been drawing from a time before I remember concretely how or when it began.

I studied oil painting and still life painting after school as a preteen (which I really loved) and I always took art in school as a subject, and later studied it at university, going on to do an Honours, but I didn’t really have a subject matter that lit me up and I ended up doing, and studying, many other things with the intent of making them my career, before finally dedicating myself to my first love of art, and to my painting practice.

What has inspired the artworks in this exhibition?

I was thinking about light and sunshine; I certainly had an obsession with it coming back from European summer to our Melbourne winter last year. Looking in my photo reel in my phone for painting inspiration, I found myself drawn to summer landscapes, sun-drenched scenes, and when I was in the studio it was these images that I wanted to paint.

I found myself thinking about the time and history associated with each image, about finding joy and a sense of peace within whatever has happened, and about the sometimes lengthy process of becoming oneself.

Where do you typically create your art and are there any noteworthy materials, techniques and processes you use?

In the past I have used kitchen tables, garages, and last winter I was painting undercover in my partner’s father’s back yard. At the moment it’s the back living area in our house. I’m not a messy painter by any means, so its easy to pack myself up for the week.

I have set days in the studio which has allowed me to be more successful in my practice than not. I have a tendency to become colour obsessed and find that these colour obsessions then invade my mood board, wardrobe or other consumer choices, and visual preoccupations so life starts to imitate art in a way.

In my paintings I like to have thin surfaces of paint so I use linseed oil and sometimes solvent to thin the paint into washes of colour, and then to build the layers up slowly.

What’s one thing our readers might be surprised to know about you?

In the past I have (perhaps randomly) briefly studied nutrition and also completed my yoga teacher training. Although at present I do little with these qualifications and study in a professional sense, I still appreciate that they inform me as I am now.

What’s next for Katie Daniels?

Always more landscape painting of course, and some other potential opportunities in the works for later in the year; most exciting of these is a residency in France in October!

After the residency is complete my aim is to travel around the French countryside visiting gardens and sourcing inspiration and material for future body of works to be presented in 2020.

Please join us and Katie, for the opening of Unfolding Light next Saturday, March 2nd!

All the works in this show are now pictured on the TDF Collect website, and are available to purchase via email from today – enquiries, please email art@thedesignfiles.net.

Unfolding Light by Katie Daniels
March 2nd to 7th
TDF Collect
14 Little Oxford Street
Collingwood, Victoria

Saturday 2nd, 10:00am – 5:00pm, with opening drinks from 2:00pm – 5:00pm
Sunday 3rd, 11:00am – 3:00pm
Monday 4th, CLOSED
Tuesday 5th, 10:00 – 4:00pm
Wednesday 6th, 10:00 – 4:00pm
Thursday 7th, 10:00 – 4:00pm

This exhibition is generously supported by DuluxMagnum and Queens WineSample, and CAPI

This Week

Interiors

Stand-Out Kitchens To Inspire

Kitchen ideas and inspiration from our interiors columnist, Lauren Li.
Lauren Li

Homes

From Caterpillar To Butterfly - A Truly Transformed Home!

Take a tour through the incredible Sydney home Terri Winter of top3 by design shares with her family.

Architecture

The Joyful Renovation Of A 1940s Home

A sensitive and surprising renovation to a 1940s brick home in Ascot Vale by Taylor Knights.
Miriam McGarry

Architecture

A Sustainable Home, Designed To Connect To Community

The sunny and generous renovation of a California Bungalow in Northcote, by Gardiner Architects.
Miriam McGarry

A Day In The Life

A Day In The Life Of Melissa Leong, Food Writer + TV Presenter

We spend a day with the multifaceted foodie, who has recently made the move from Sydney to Melbourne!
Sally Tabart
  6 hours ago

In Print

A New Monograph Celebrating One Of Australia's Most Captivating Female Artists

As the new book series Mini Monographs hits shelves, we offer a look inside the first volume, honouring bold painter Del Kathryn Barton.
Sarah Darmody

Studio Visit

New Work From A Favourite Local Artist, Super-Charged With Colour + Pattern

Melbourne-based artist Gavin Brown opens a new exhibition of works today, inspired by the sights, flavours, and moods of travels through Asi...
Elle Murrell

News

A Unique New Line Of Meticulously Handwoven Bags

Introducing George – a limited collection of bags exploring the relationship between object, material, and human interaction.
Sally Tabart

Art

The Local Gallery That's ‘Light Years’ Ahead

Sydney’s Michael Reid Gallery celebrates lightbox photography with a pioneering new exhibition.
Elle Murrell

Architecture

A House Revived From The 1990s

CO-AP Architects boldly re-imagine a 1990s semi-detached home in Balmain, Sydney.
Miriam McGarry

On The Market

One Of Fitzroy’s Most Iconic Homes Is On The Market

Your chance to see inside (and maybe own!) the most intriguing house on the street!

Interiors

The Winners Of The Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards

Take a deep dive into the Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards for 2019, announced last night in Sydney.

News

Exploring Colour + Pace Through 'Blue And Green Music'

A brilliant new exhibition from Sally Lee Anderson takes cues from an evocative Georgia O’Keeffe painting.
Sally Tabart
  24 hours ago

News

A Month-Long Third Drawer Down x David Shrigley Pop-Up

This decade-long collaboration between Melbourne’s kookiest gift store and the renowned artist is open for business!
Sally Tabart

Modernist Australia

A Rare Opportunity In Melbourne's 'Bagel Belt'

A five-bedroom 1970's gem in Caulfield North, and it's for sale!
Patricia Callan
  22 hours ago

View Comments

Similar Stories

Art

‘Quietly’ Suspended Landscapes By Wendy McDonald

Exploring place and ecology with an artist/farmer, working from the Murray River floodplain.
Miriam McGarry

Art

2018 Wynne Prize Finalists

A look at the works shortlisted for Australia’s most prestigious landscape painting award.
Elle Murrell

Art

7 Women Shaking Up The Australian Art Scene

The trailblazing artists making their own unique mark on Australia's creative landscape.
Elle Murrell

This Week

Art

The Local Gallery That's ‘Light Years’ Ahead

Elle Murrell

Architecture

A House Revived From The 1990s

Miriam McGarry

News

Exploring Colour + Pace Through 'Blue And Green Music'

Sally Tabart

Miriam McGarry

News

A Month-Long Third Drawer Down x David Shrigley Pop-Up

Sally Tabart

Interiors

Stand-Out Kitchens To Inspire

Kitchen ideas and inspiration from our interiors columnist, Lauren Li.
Lauren Li

Modernist Australia

A Rare Opportunity In Melbourne's 'Bagel Belt'

A five-bedroom 1970's gem in Caulfield North, and it's for sale!
Patricia Callan
  22 hours ago

In Print

A New Monograph Celebrating One Of Australia's Most Captivating Female Artists

Sarah Darmody

Homes

From Caterpillar To Butterfly - A Truly Transformed Home!

Architecture