BEDROOMS are easy. Truly.
The sleeping space is, of course, a highly personal one – not a room for showing off or entertaining in (at least, not usually!). It follows, then, that this is a room to be designed and decorated somewhat selfishly! Don’t be too fussed about trends here. Your bedroom is your very own personal retreat.
Dark colours and low lighting works well in bedrooms – after all, this is a space you occupy first thing in the morning and last thing at night. We love the moody hues in Amanda Henderson-Marks Northcote bedroom, and the drama of Martyn Thompson’s NYC loft!
A sleeping space need not be large to be lovely. As long as you can comfortably fit a good sized bed, and there’s a window to gaze out of, any room, no matter how tiny, can make for a cosy bedroom. Some of our absolute favourites over the years have been attic bedrooms with pitched ceilings and exposed timber beams (Pop and Scott’s Eltham bedroom is an all-time fave, as is the loft-like bedroom at Anna Swain’s Byron Bay home, with it’s sweet pitched roofline and symmetry).
Some bedroom ideas to try
· A low-lying bed frame, to give the illusion of vastness – even a futon will do, if perfectly dressed! We love Pop and Scott’s gorgeously inviting daybed.
· A dark painted wall behind the bed – think charcoal greys and moody blues, as seen in Amanda Henderson-Marks Northcote bedroom.
· I always favour a small painting hanging off-centre above a bed, rather than a large one hanging right above the bed itself. I guess I just don’t like sleeping under a large heavy item…!? (Check out my own bedroom here, with my favourite painting hanging low above my bedside).
· Bedlinen is such a personal thing… though I must admit, in my own home, I tend to like a ‘non-shouty’ bed. By that I mean… a little colour is nice, but I’m not a fan of anything too garish or bold. My all-time favourite bedlinen is from Melbourne label Mr Draper, in a palette of greys, whites, pink and nutmeg tones (as seen at last year’s TDF Open House!).
· Nothing beats a good old-fashioned upholstered headboard, for proper ‘grown-up’ bedroom vibes. I adore the printed headboard in the home of Philip Messenger and Susannah Lempriere in Prahran – so lux! Try Heatherly Design for a range of upholstered headboard options, made locally.