Emerging as Melbourne’s go-to purveyor of interesting, hand-selected wines, craft beers and ciders, Blackhearts & Sparrows are now in 11 locations across Melbourne, Canberra and Tasmania! Not bad for an independent retailer which first opened in 2006 with just one small store.
We’ve learnt a LOT about great wine whilst perusing Blackhearts’ shelves to create our very own gift wishlist for you – our top picks include an awesome 3-pack of ‘pet-nat’ natural wines, a summer survival gin-mixer pack, a handful of extra special (yet, surprisingly affordable) individual wines, and a brilliant new non-alcoholic wine substitute too!
The Design Files’ Top Picks :
Pet-Nat Park 3-Pack
– 2019 Triple Trouble Bubble Pet-Nat Rose
– 2019 Noisy Ritual Pet-Nat Chardonnay
– NV Orsi San Vito Sui Lieviti Frizzante Pet Nat NV
‘Pet-Nat’ stands for ‘Pétillant-naturel’ – and refers to the cloudy, slightly fizzy natural wines we’ve been seeing more and more of in recent years. This 3-pack is perfect summer fare – best consumed outdoors, and horizontal on a picnic rug.
Summer Survival Gin Pack
– Gin 700ml
– Campari 700ml
– Maidenii Sweet Vermouth 375ml
– 2 x Stranglelove Light Tonic Water 540ml
Blackhearts and Sparrows put this summer pack together to cater for every and any gin drinker – between the humble G&T (+ good quality tonic water of course!) and the classic Negroni, this summer pack has all bases covered.
Extra Special Spirits
– Lantana Gin 500ml – a handcrafted Australian gin characterised by local botanical flavours including lantana and native finger lime… but honestly, we can’t go past the packaging – this is the prettiest gin bottle we’ve ever seen.
– Starward x Blackhearts Project Whiskey 700ml – A special single cask, distinctly Australian whiskey, selected by and bottled exclusively for Blackhearts and Sparrows.
– Allies Cinq a Sept Vermouth 700ml – Another handcrafted Australian spirit, made on the Mornington Peninsula from a botanical infused barrel of fortified Pinot Noir.
Glassware & Hardware
The surprisingly affordable ‘StandArt’ Gabriel wineglasses are made from dishwasher-safe, lead-free crystal glass. An incredibly versatile wine glass, designed to accommodate all types of wine rather than just being mono-varietal… no matter what you’re drinking, these glasses just make wine taste better!
– NON 1 Salted Raspberry Chamomile Non-alcoholic Sparkling Beverage 750ml
– NON 2 Caramelised Pear Kombu Non-alcoholic Sparkling Beverage 750ml
– NON 3 Toasted Cinnamon Yuzu Non-alcoholic Beverage 750ml
This stunning non-alcoholic option will be appreciated by the designated drivers, the Mums-to-be, the new-years-resolutionists or anyone aiming for a little restraint over the festive period.
Wildflower Gold is a medium strength wild ale sour beer, delicately balanced with notes of meyer lemons, fresh limey hops and stone fruit.
Meanwhile, the Boatrocker ‘Wildheart’ festive beer is an exclusive blended beer created in close collaboration with the Blackhearts team. It’s lightly sparkling and delightfully sour – a complex blend that is far greater than the sum of its parts. DELISH!
– 2019 Rainbow Juice Rose
– 2018 Scary Gully Chardonnay
– 2018 Oakbank Shiraz
A mixed 3 pack of Gareth and Rainbo Belton’s current Gentle Folk releases made from organic fruit in South Australia.
– 2019 Pret-a-Blanc
– 2019 Pret-a-Rouge
– 2018 Thorley shiraz
Three stunning wines from husband and wife duo Tessa Brown & Jeremy Schmolzer, winemakers from North East Victoria.
Exceptionally Good Single Bottles
– 2018 Tolpuddle Chardonnay – An extra special chardonnay from Coal River Valley Tasmania, which according to those in the know is ‘as good as it currently gets, and fought over by wine stores and people who write wine lists…!’
– 2018 Lone Star Creek Pinot Noir – An exceptionally good value Pinot Noir, from the cool climate upper Yarra. Blackhearts confirm this one will definitely make you look ‘wine-clever’ in front of snobby wine friends.
– 2019 Valentine Greco – Another great value wine, this time from Heathcote, Victoria. A savoury tasting wine with notes of white stone and citrus, and a refreshing minerality.
The Christmas Countdown offer :
Receive 10% off the TDF’s Top Picks . The discount will be automatically applied at cart for The TDF Gift Edit Products, and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Offer is available for online purchases only.