This website uses cookies to improve your experience navigating our site. By continuing to browse, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

OK, I understand

Another Amazing Local Furniture Maker You Need To Know About

Creative People

We’re so proud of the many great local furniture designer-makers we’ve had the chance to feature on The Design Files. And, it could be just us, but it really feels like consumers are increasingly shunning slapped-together-mass-made (or worse yet: replica) furniture, for something considered, bespoke and crafted with care. It’s so encouraging!

While you may recognise this face from our recent feature on 11 Great Craftspeople Who Can Make You A Table, local furniture maker Thomas Lentini’s stellar creative output inspired us to pop back for a studio visit to find out more.

10th January, 2019

Notes from avid sketcher and note-taker (plus awesome furniture designer and craftsman) Thomas Lentini. Photo – Caitlin Mills.

Thomas is the one-man-marvel behind Studio Thomas Lentini. Photo – Caitlin Mills.

We visited the workshop he shares in Coburg North. Photo – Caitlin Mills.

A table design by the furniture designer and maker. Photo – Thomas Lentini.

‘If there’s one thing I learnt, it was to really consider the timber that goes into each piece. So with each job I spend half a day travelling and sorting timber,’ tells Thom. ‘I think it really makes a difference in the narrative and care that’s gone into each work. Photo – Thomas Lentini.

The furniture maker has a penchant for American White Oak and American Black Walnut. Photo – Caitlin Mills.

‘Coming up with names for each piece was hard, so I took a leaf from architects’ books and decided to name each commission after the street it was going to reside in,’ explains Thom. Photo – Thomas Lentini.

He gives a big shout out to the interior designers and architects that have given him a real shot over the past two years. ‘They’ve all given me such great opportunities to really project to a wider audience off the back of a pretty small portfolio which I’ll never forget,’ he says. Photo – Caitlin Mills.

Thom just stamped and dated his 24th commission, and is currently in NZ working alongside his Dad! Photo – Caitlin Mills.

Elle Murrell
Thursday 10th January 2019

‘I realised everyone I dealt with wanted a completely unique piece. So, I went with it.’ – Thomas Lentini.

When he wasn’t playing with Lego, a young Thomas Lentini was kitted out in Hard Yakka overalls and tool belt, trying to be like his carpenter father! This aspiring tradie fell in love at six years of age, when his dad came home with a wooden sailing boat, that he’d been building over two years at night school. ‘I still have a pretty romantic memory of walking into the garage and being totally blown away by the warmth of the timber, the beautiful curves and copper nails…’ recalls the 27-year-old.

That fateful eve really made an impact, and throughout school, Thomas was drawn to the workshop, where he was fascinated by the ‘freedom of being able to spend weeks drawing something, then, being able to try and produce whatever was in your head’. ‘Once I figured out you’re only limited by your ability, I knew I wanted to pursue learning further,’ he tells.

It wasn’t until two years ago, though, that he was empowered to produce his own custom designs, under Studio Thomas Lentini. Seeing Patrizia Moroso of the eponymous and highly-famed furniture house give a presentation at NGV was the match that rekindled the spark. ‘At the time I had almost completed four years as a maker in a pretty specialised workshop, which had followed three years of Furniture Design and Technology at RMIT,’ explains Thom. ‘I realised I’d lost touch with my original ambition, and got really detached from everything I loved and got excited about at uni; hearing Patrizia totally realigned me with all of that.’

A month later, he set himself on a challenge: two years to ‘try and gather some momentum to see if people dug what I wanted to communicate through my work’. As we write this, Thom is full-time between his Coburg North shared workshop on the tools, and his Fitzroy studio where all the designing and admin takes place!

Over the years, business demands haven’t made him forget what he was originally drawn to about craftsmanship. Thom’s designs typically result from several weeks of drawings, planning and site visits. ‘As a model, I thought I’d have to certainly have a set range of 10 or so designs that I made to order,’ he says. ‘But as things progressed I realised everyone I dealt with wanted a completely unique piece. So, I went with it.’

That said, the pieces still bear hallmark features – soft profiles and tactile edges. The meticulous maker also has a penchant for the ‘old romance and beauty’ of American White Oak and American Black Walnut timbers, visiting the timber yard as each commission comes in, rather than having stock on hand. Getting his ‘creative kicks’ from architecture (notably the likes of Andrea Palladio and Achille Castiglioni), Thom is also inspired by trips down to The Otways in his little Defender, where he and partner Eliza can take in the giant Mountain Ash trees and the good air!

The sole trader is spurred on by the creative freedom he is given by his many happy customers – including our own art director Annie Portelli, who commissioned a warm, tactile dining table that she plans on having for life! ‘Having that sort of trust from clients, along with the ability to experiment and explore new things is something that I really treasure as a designer and maker. I think it’s a real privilege to be doing what I love for a living at my age.’ I totally echo that sentiment, so thanks to Thom and all the other wonderful local makers who are creating things worth writing about!

See designs from Thomas Lentini, or get in touch at Thomaslentinistudio.com, and follow him on Instagram @thomas.lentini.

This Week

Homes

A Magical Inner City Treehouse

An empty nester's brilliantly unconventional Clifton Hill home, designed by architect Murray Barker.
Lucy Feagins
  24 hours ago

Art

10 Unmissable Art Exhibitions of 2019

Our pick of not-to-be-missed art exhibitions for 2019, Australia wide – clear the calendar!
Miriam McGarry

News

What To Do On Your Next Summer Roadtrip

Bush Heritage Australia remind us what to consider (and what’s at stake if we don’t) as we venture outdoors.
Elle Murrell

Architecture

An Award-Winning Home, In Three Parts

The triple pavilion house design from Trias Studio in Newcastle, NSW.
Miriam McGarry
  16 hours ago

Modernist Australia

A Home Where Summer Holidays Never End, And It's For Sale

A miracle confluence of premier Victorian beach town, and preeminent Victorian architect Guilford Bell, designed in 1973.
Patricia Callan

The Tools I Use

The Tools I Use · Phillip Withers

We go behind-the-scenes and inside the toolkit with legendary local landscape designer, Phillip Withers!

Art

This Exhibition Is A Tribute To New York Museum Wanderings

Sydney-born, New York-based artist Adriana Picker returns to her home city to unveil 'Vases from the MET' in Paddington this week.
Miriam McGarry

Architecture

A Welcoming Renovation

Tim Spicer Architects seamlessly connects old and new, in this clever extension in Shoreham, Victoria.
Miriam McGarry
  Less than an hour ago

News

Huge Names Added To The 'All About Women' Festival

Including Michelle Obama’s former Chief of Staff!
Sally Tabart

Work Space

An Invigorating New Base For A Homegrown Success Story

Carman’s invite us to check our their fresh HQ by Ewert Leaf architects in Huntingdale, Victoria.
Elle Murrell

News

Your Chance To Eat With Julia Ostro!

Enjoy Julia Busuttil-Nishimura’s personal favourite recipes from her prolific cookbook!

Tiny Homes

This Home Transforms Neglected Housing Stock Into Micro Luxury!

The 'tiny home' phenomenon continues... explore the Type Street Apartment from Tsai Design.
Miriam McGarry

Food

Lucy's Green Bean Salad With Preserved Lemon, Hazelnuts And Crème Fraîche

An easy weeknight staple, dressed up with zingy preserved lemon, creme fraiche and roasted hazelnuts for that all important crunch!
Lucy Feagins

News

The Bag Making Workshop Combining Aesthetics With Ethics

Level up and learn how to craft your own leather pouch!
Sally Tabart
  15 hours ago

News

Mercedes me Achieves carboNZero Certification

The Mercedes me Melbourne cafe and event space has been recognised for their ongoing commitment to sustainability.

View Comments

Similar Stories

Creative People

11 Great Craftspeople Who Can Make You A Table

A round-up of the best bespoke furniture makers and designers in Australia!

Creative People

The Tools I Use · Bern Chandley, Chairmaker

We take a look inside the toolkit of a proper, old-fashioned chairmaker, and learn what it takes to make chairs of 'heirloom quality'.

Studio Visit

The Melbourne Furniture Designer With A 'Softer' Approach

Softer Studio is the emerging Melbourne-based furniture label making a big impression, with its playful and accessible range.

This Week

News

Mercedes me Achieves carboNZero Certification

Architecture

An Award-Winning Home, In Three Parts

The triple pavilion house design from Trias Studio in Newcastle, NSW.
Miriam McGarry
  16 hours ago

News

Huge Names Added To The 'All About Women' Festival

Including Michelle Obama’s former Chief of Staff!
Sally Tabart

Modernist Australia

A Home Where Summer Holidays Never End, And It's For Sale

Patricia Callan

News

Your Chance To Eat With Julia Ostro!

Tiny Homes

This Home Transforms Neglected Housing Stock Into Micro Luxury!

Miriam McGarry

24 hours ago

News

What To Do On Your Next Summer Roadtrip

Elle Murrell

News

The Bag Making Workshop Combining Aesthetics With Ethics

Level up and learn how to craft your own leather pouch!
Sally Tabart
  15 hours ago

Work Space

An Invigorating New Base For A Homegrown Success Story

Elle Murrell

Architecture

A Welcoming Renovation

Miriam McGarry
  Less than an hour ago

The Tools I Use

The Tools I Use · Phillip Withers

Similar Stories

Creative People

11 Great Craftspeople Who Can Make You A Table

A round-up of the best bespoke furniture makers and designers in Australia!

Creative People

The Tools I Use · Bern Chandley, Chairmaker

We take a look inside the toolkit of a proper, old-fashioned chairmaker.

Studio Visit