We don’t often cover design trade shows or ‘industry only’ events. However, after attending last week’s Denfair in Melbourne, we found ourselves truly inspired. Though small, Australia’s feisty local design industry continues to punch above its weight – in particular, there are so many local furniture and lighting studios and retailers really raising the bar when it comes to innovative new products, materials and styling ideas.
Narrowing down our Top 10 Denfair Discoveries was no mean feat, but here goes!
1. Melbourne-based Something Beginning With, was a standout in our eyes. We love their new ‘Halo’ furniture range, in particular the upholstered sofa and armchair.
2. Tait Furniture continue to go from strength to strength; they took out the Denfair 2017 Award for best new product, for their new ‘Trace’ outdoor furniture collection, designed by Adam Goodrum. Keep an eye out for Tait’s brand new Melbourne showroom, opening in Smith Street Collingwood in the coming weeks.
3. Space Furniture‘s stand was probably the closest thing to Milan in Melbourne (!). Elegantly executed, it showcased a range of bold contemporary design pieces.
4. The delightful new ‘Soft Chair’ from Adelaide design duo Daniel Emma won many hearts (in fact, our resident stylist Nat Turnbull was lucky enough to purchase a prototype!).
5. Local lighting brand ISM Objects showed an impressive range of new and old designs, all made locally in their Mentone factory. We especially loved their oversized spherical pendant lights which gently expand when switched on!
6. Fred International‘s impressive stand brought together two Scandinavian design brands: furniture by Fogia, with lighting by RUBN. The stand was designed by Angela Harry, with art direction by Simone Haag and foliage by Loose Leaf – what a wonderful collaboration of like minds!
7. INSTANT love for the cartoon-like new ‘Cabin’ sofa and armchair by Sydney-based studio, Design By Them – one of each, please.
8. Cult debuted their new Australian-designed house brand, NAU, including furniture, lighting and accessories by a collective of Australia’s most talented designers including Adam Cornish, Adam Goodrum, Jack Flanagan and Gavin Harris.
9. Perth-based District (who also have an excellent Melbourne showroom) presented a beautiful range of pieces by leading international designers, including Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec, Konstantin Gricic, and Tim Rundle, direct from the Milan Furniture Fair.
10. Last but not least, we were bowled over by Bonnie and Neil‘s collaboration with Byzantine Design – ceramic tiles and vinyl floor coverings in the bold, painterly patterns Bonnie and Neil are so well known for.