Melbourne Home – Jane & Matt Martino

Wednesday 20th July 2011

The Glen Iris home of Jane and Matt Martino!  All photographs - Sean Fennessy.

Loungeroom details.  Artwork on right – a timber collage by Matt Martino

Loungeroom looking through to the den – timber collage artwork by Matt Martino.

Uh oh.  There has been a new development at The Design Files HQ.  A few weeks ago I had the GREAT pleasure of roping in an excellent professional photographer to shoot the beautiful Melbourne home you see here!  In actual fact I had previously attempted to photograph the place solo, I just didn’t feel I could do it justice, so I made arrangements to pop back with someone who owns a proper camera AND knows how to work it.  That someone is/was the very talented Tassie-born, Melbourne-based photographer Sean Fennessy.

And now, dear readers, I have a problem.

You see, Sean has just done the most incredible job!  I fear that I will be forever unsatisfied with every photograph I ever take for this blog!  (A similar thing happened once when someone gave me that luxurious Aesop handwash as a gift – making it impossible to revert back to supermarket handwash!  Agh.  First world problems.)

I Digress.  My point is, today’s post has been made 4000x more beautiful by Mr Fennessy!  I do hope he agrees to shoot many more homes with me before he is snapped up by all the editors in magazine land, who I’m sure have much bigger budgets!

MOVING along.  This is the beautiful family home of Jane and Matt Martino, and their gorgeous boys Tom (6), Henry (4) and Sonny (3)!  You have previously seen the Martino family weekender / rental – Comma in Daylesford – REMEMBER!?  Yes that sure was a popular one!  You might notice a few similarities between the two homes – Matt is responsible for the interior design in both cases, and you can certainly see a few of his hallmarks here!  Matt is not afraid of a little colour on the walls – particular deep inky blues, which gives his home office and the family dining room such an intimate, dramatic feel.  But it’s not all blues and greens – Jane says her favourite room is the dusty pink ensuite – ‘and the fact my husband was happy to have a pink room that we share!’  You’ll also notice much of Matt’s own striking artwork throughout the house, as is also the case at Comma.

Matt and Jane purchased this house 2 years ago, and renovated before moving in.   When they bought the house it had been a much loved family home for more than 36 years.   The Martinos carefully re-arranged the space – the dining room became the kitchen, the kitchen became the dining room… and the rooms were all opened up to each other. The result is a free flowing layout that still maintains distinct individual rooms and spaces. Matt says he used colour to create intimacy and define separate areas.  The garden was given a good tidy-up and a verandah was built right around the entire rear and side facade of the house, a fantastic addition which really links the interior spaces with the generous garden!

There is so much to love about this warm, welcoming family home.  It’s generous in proportion and full of life.  It feels almost like a country home in the middle of Melbourne!  Jane and Matt have succeeded in creating a space that feels smart yet lived-in, stylish without being precious.  Jane loves the local neighbourhood  ‘it’s green and leafy and close to everything we need and use’  She loves the connection to the local community – ‘the butcher across the road, tram outside our door and the amazing people we have met through the kids school, kinder and other activities – we feel lucky to live where we live’ she says.  Awww I would too, Jane!  You’ve made such a perfect family home!

Huge thanks to Matt and Jane for sharing another beautiful home with us.  For your own Martino moment (!), perhaps consider a weekend stay at Comma!  It is so so gorgeous you will not want to leeeave.

Love this view from kitchen/lounge into the dark dining room!  Rug from Loom. Ottomans from Fenton and Fenton.

Dining details

Chunky marble bench, Tolix stools in beautiful olive green. Vintage Poster from Vintage Posters in High Street Armadale.

Kitchen details

Looking through the kitchen into the loungeroom

Master bedroom – cushion from Fenton and Fenton. Blue painting above main bed by Thierry B.

Bedroom details – ‘The Kiss’ print by Charles Blackman.  Cushion from Fenton and Fenton.

Stunning bathroom details – including that gorgeous dusty pink ensuite bathroom!

Details from the kids’ bedroom and playroom.  Love the dusty blue walls in the bedroom, and fantastic kids artwork in the playroom!

Timber collage artwork by Matt Martino.  Home office / Den on left – love the deep blue walls!  Large artwork by James Robertson.

Industrial locker and woodpile on the verandah

Stunning outdoor dining area

RED backdoor.  Love it!

Wednesday 20th July 2011

• Notting Hill Girl 3 years ago

I love that you’ve shown Jane and Matt’s home! I remember them from The Block (years ago) and then had the pleasure of working with Jane a few years ago. After seeing photos of their Daylesford house, I’m not surprised at how beautiful their family home is.

• Simone 3 years ago

GASP! Just beautiful :-)

• Brismod 3 years ago

Oh my! What a gorgeous home. Love their use of colour and floor rugs. xx

• Simone 3 years ago

I officially give up. This house is beyond tasteful….

• Jessamy Alexander 3 years ago

This house has now become what I aspire to. I already loved Comma. Is it possible to become a style-stalker?

• And they have 3 young boys? I bet they sent them away for a week or two while they made that house the pleasure that it is!

Not a sign of a train track anywhere!

• jas 3 years ago

gorgeous and I love Sean’s work too, after I recently found his site after an architectural photographer search! Also, I reeeeally want my den/office that colour – if only I had one!

• Paula 3 years ago

Love it! My favourite house so far!

• Camilla 3 years ago

Great photos -but I always think yours look great too! I know how tricky interior photography is & you still always get the essence of the home across – thats what makes a good shot I think!

Psst – I want that James Robertson painting!

• Paula Norman 3 years ago

Just divine – I love the timber collage by Matt!!!

• Kelly 3 years ago

Beautiful house, and beautifully photographed! Definitely one of my faves from the Design Files!

• Allison 3 years ago

This looks and feels like a home you could fashionably mooch in. Very much like.

• kylie 3 years ago

another lovely home…

p.s. I think you take great pics Lucy x

• Chris 3 years ago

Nice one!! 2 questions – 1) where are the lights in the kitchen from (spot lights) and 2) where did they get the mini Eames dining chairs from??

• Siobhan Rogers 3 years ago

Love the timber art works! – I’d love to make a quilt based on the black & white one, It would look beautiful. Xx

• Matt 3 years ago

Oh I love the round table in the living room and the chairs used outside. Where can I get them ??

• This is exactly what I want my house to feel like.! Beautiful..

• debbie 3 years ago

This is by FAR my favourite home!!!! well done on photos and write up and well done to the owners for sharing what I beleive to be the most splendid home. Each room has the owners individual taste and uniqueness and I love that. Tops!

• Vanessa 3 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful Home! I love the grey couch in the first couple of photos, anyone know where its from?

• captain kk 3 years ago

STUNNING home. STUNNING photographs. super-la-fantastique! and i’m in love with that paris vu par vintage poster & timber bathroom ladder..(custom made or available in melbs somewhere?) i also love the kitchen in the previous dining room & how the new joinery & chunky island bench feel like furniture placed within a beautiful room rather than simple joinery up against one end of a bigger space. what a beautiful, brave, simple, relaxed home. gorgeous.

• Mary Anne 3 years ago

Love their home! It;s warm, inviting, stylish and totally gorgeous! Was wondering where they lived now since they sold their other home – which was moodier and more modern. Loved that home too! Always interested in what they are doing ….they do a great job on everything they touch!

Would love to know their back door Red colour??? Dulux hot lips?? and also where the wooden towel rack is from??? Mark Tuckey??

Thanking you, Mary Anne xo

• Amanda 3 years ago

This house has broken my heart…it’s everything I want and then some!!

• Melissa 3 years ago

I love it. I have loved each home they have created. Everything about it is inviting and stylish while being practical for a young family also. Can’t wait to see what is next for them.

• design elements 3 years ago

this home is beyond wonderful!

• matt 3 years ago

Thanks for the compliments regarding the house, we love the house and what we have done. we always set out doing what we love and what works for us, family, comfort and style, glad it appeals to others. questions to be answered. Grey Couch is from Lounge Furniture Melbourne. Round Table Zuster, chairs from Mark Tuckey. Towel rail from the now defunct Cranfields. paris par Vue poster from Sam johnson;s Vintage posters high st armadale. Thanks again

• gaz 3 years ago

Love your artwork Matt. Nice to see some colour on the walls too!

• Lil 3 years ago

Hi Matt, I would love to know where your table lamp with the black & white stripey shade is from if you would be kind enough to share?! Its gorgeous :)

• matt 3 years ago

The Lamp is also from Cranfields which I don’t think exists anymore.

• Patricia 3 years ago

What a beautiful home! I love the stained glass entrance and windows. The glass dividing wall and entrance at the dining room is brilliant. Congratulations on a very successful remodel.

• Sophie Travers 3 years ago

I love Laetitia’s graphic use of colour and angles…gorgeous

• Amber 3 years ago

Just beautiful would love it!

• Matt 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing your house Matt & Jane. Matt you are a true sport for sharing with everyone where you got all of your goodies from !!

• sarah 3 years ago

so fresh…love the stripes and patterns and the gorgeous colour. Its so livable, i could live here!!

• Penelope Loorham 3 years ago

Such a lovely mix of textures and colours – unique and not set on one particular style .. Would be wonderful to know what the paint and colour name is of the dining room ( the Grey/Teal colour ) ?

• matt 3 years ago

hi penelope. the colour in the dining room is a colour called Ticking. Cant remember which brand sorry. It is a really deep navy blue. Occasionally we change the furniture in this room and make it a sitting room. Really cosy, dark quiet reading room and the colour works for that too. Thanks for liking.

• Melissa 3 years ago

Love it. Anyone know where the pendant in the loungeroom is from? Great job on creating a gorgeous home.

• matt 3 years ago

The White wicker pendant in the living room is from is from DeDeCe.

• Penelope Loorham 3 years ago

Thank you so much Matt .. shall try to track Ticking’ down. Hope you both have many more projects to enjoy and hope interiors is your profession.
    Kindest wishes,

• Claire 3 years ago

Hi Matt, another lovely home. What colour is the white you have used on the wall in the living area, kitchen spaces? Really like the light! Thanks.

• matt 3 years ago

Claire, the colour is dulux vivid white. It appears different in every space, not too cream, not too grey. It also works well as the house faces south west and it almost magnifies whatever natural light we get.

• Claire 3 years ago

Hi Matt. Thanks I am painting big open plan space in whites with a mezzanine in harbor wood wash from murobond to complement. I might just go with the vivid white on the ceiling as well. Trim is whisper white for now. I’ll have to see. Thanks for sharing your tips. My husband will be glad to have my final answer too!

• Hi Matt! The chandelier on the first photo is beautiful. Where did you get that? I adore that rug in the lounge room. Great wall art paintings as well.