Uncategorized

Canberra Home – Jane Pettersen and Family

Wednesday 4th May 2011

Colourful details in the Canberra home of Jane Pettersen and family!  Painting of torso (in both images on the left) by Australian artist Anthony Lister.  Painting in top right image behind striped yellow char is by Molly Pwerle, the brilliant sister of the late famed Minnie Pwerle.  Artwork in bottom right image, painted directly onto wall by ANU School of Art graduate, Lisa Twomey. All photos by Peta Rudd

Dining room – love this shot!  All photos by Peta Rudd

It’s opportune timing to share this extraordinarily colourful family home in Canberra – I can’t help but think Scott Weston (this week’s Guest Blogger) would be most proud of Jane Pettersen’s efforts!

Jane is a fashion retailer originally from Melbourne, now living in the Canberra suburb of Ainslie with husband Gary and 2 daughters, Lily (16) and Mia (12).  The family have lived in this heritage house for 3 years, and have spent the last year renovating – significant changes include a large extension, new bathrooms and a ‘coloured up’ kitchen.  Jane has also commissioned a number of custom wall paintings by local artists, including having a special poem and other words and phrases painted directly onto doors and walls!  I’m in awe of Jane’s brave approach to decorating and really personalising her space in this way!

So many of these shots really are show stoppers (thankyou photographer Peta Rudd!), but I must admit the one that stopped me in my tracks was that bathroom showerscreen!?  AMAZING!  I have never seen a digitally printed artwork used in this way and it looks incredible!  Really makes a change from all the same same bathrooms out there!  The bathroom designers were Concepts Interior Design – ‘innovative and always luxurious in their designs’ says Jane.

Jane’s passion for colour and bold design is clearly apparent in this vibrant, energy-filled home. ‘I love the ‘feel’ of my home’ she says… ‘the colour and the care have created a warm space that everyone loves to be in. It is uplifting.’ You can’t help but be swept up in Jane’s immense enthusiasm for the designers and artists who have made her home so special -

‘I LOVE my Jimmie Martin wallpaper from the UK designers who make furniture for fabulous, famous people !! – (the black behind my bed)
LOVE graffiti and text. Creates mood very quickly.
LOVE my Universal Freedom poem written on wall (by George Krokos)
LOVE my tattooed girl painted in the entrance by ANU School of Art graduate, Lisa Twomey.
LOVE the pink fireplace!’

Jane’s fashion boutique in Canberra is Pink inc – here she stocks many wonderful Australian fashion labels including the wonderful Megan Park, Easton Pearson, Akira, as well as international brands.  Jane also works as both a fashion and interiors stylist, travelling overseas annually to find special one-off pieces in clothing, accessories and furniture for her store and her clients.   ‘I try to bring to Canberra, what has been seen as exclusive ‘property’ of the bigger cities – Style and Luxury’ she says! Do pop over and visit her website and blog to learn more!

HUGE thanks to Jane for being so generally lovely and super excited to share her home on The Design Files!  (our first Canberra home, can you believe it!?).  Many thanks also to Peta Rudd who took all these gorgeous pics!

Loungeroom detail

Kitchen details – PURPLE countertops!

Eclectic details – nice Dinosaur Designs collection you have Jane!

INCREDIBLE bathroom by Concepts Interior Design – cannot get over that amazing digital Magnolia print on the showerscreen!

David Bromley makes an appearance in the bedroom

‘I have a wonderful poem written across the wall – Universal Freedom by George Krokos’  says Jane

Jane’s much-loved Graffiti-esque Jimmie Martin wallpaper in the bedroom

Jane really loves Jimmie Martin!

Garden details, incuding one of two Jack Russells! (Could be Zoe, could be Grissom… I cannot identify).

Wednesday 4th May 2011

• Wow, colourful and explosive!
    Love it:)

• Amazing, my jaw dropped at the shower screen. Fantastic to see such a beautiful home in Canberra! Something to aspire to!

• claire 3 years ago

So much colour! I love it all, especially that bed head. Whoa! xo

• Paula 3 years ago

Bold and Inspirational. Fabulous! Congratulations Jane!

• Jenny 3 years ago

Fabulous fabulous. Not afraid to do whatever makes her happy and express her personality. Go colour Go Jane

• mariana 3 years ago

it’s like walking into a rainbow.. i absolutely adore every inch of this home. incredible style. completely in LOVE with the shower screen, black board bed head and kitchen splashback tiles. so very bold, creative, clever, unique and oh so inspiring. kudos. thanks so much for sharing.

• Barbara Fisher 3 years ago

Such a bold and beautiful home – and great to see the first from Canberra, where I live. It’s inspiring to see someone showing such confidence in their own style and taste, most of us are too afraid to make such statements. Congratulations Jane, you have an amazing home!

Oh, and thank you for bringing us Pink Inc too!

• cleamoureuse 3 years ago

wow such a vibrant brillant home! Well done for making it all work together so well. Indeed, thank you for sharing

• Lisa Cahill 3 years ago

Love it! What an inspiration Jane Pettersen is – using her own incredible sense of style and eye for the best of the best in designers and artists worldwide!

• Tamara Veltre 3 years ago

Love the Rona Green on the wall in the dining room, one of my favourite artists in melbourne.

• I LOVE THIS HOUSE! SERIOUSLY! I want to live there!!! Gorgeous.

• Sarah 3 years ago

What an inspiring house! I love the mix of colour and text, and such an individual take on an interior. Which is what interiors should totally be about! And who knew there was so much colour in Canberra!!

• Jiah 3 years ago

Thank you Jane for sharing your amazing home! And for helping to explode the myth that Canberra is a boring place. I love the purple bench top and penny round tiles on the splash back.

• Juicy Roo 3 years ago

I love everything about this. If I lived there I would never want to leave the house! And if ever I had to move, I’d have to take the wall with that awesome original painting with me. Thanks for sharing.

• J u l e s 3 years ago

kinda makes my eyes hurt, but in a good way. makes my place look like a rainy day! :/

• Louise 3 years ago

Best house I have ever seen on DF!! So much amazing, original and inspiring detail. Sensory overload. Hardly surprising as Pink Inc is the best boutique in Canberra too!! Congratulations Jane x

• homestilo 3 years ago

So many cool details- I love that lamp in the lounge room!

• Ninaribena 3 years ago

Wow, so beautiful!
    Also incredibly proud to see a Canberra home here… and what a fabulous one! I L.O.V.E every detail of this fun, colourful and gorgeous home. Amazing.

• Freddie 3 years ago

inspiring!

• Katie Stewart 3 years ago

This house just makes me smile! You can see and feel the love that has gone into it! Congratulations Janie on creating such a wonderful home!

• Gaz 3 years ago

Very brave and not boring at all. The purple laminate in kitchen a great idea. I’m on a tight budget for my upcoming reno so might have to get some pop colour laminate like that. Brightens my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kerryn 3 years ago

Fantastic home. Hope to see more from my city in the future.

• Tracy 3 years ago

What a great bathroom. Love the lamp in the lounge.

• blue fruit 3 years ago

Fantastically colourful ~ I am lingering over every single photo to capture the atmosphere, which I reckon would be electric!

• Sangi 3 years ago

WOW!! Love the Loungeroom detail – especially the flower lamp, brilliant!!

• John S Buckley 3 years ago

Lovely house, Stunning photographs!

• Jane Pettersen 3 years ago

Thank you , thank you to all of you who have looked and loved my home.
    Am thrilled the colour and energy has been shared around !!!!
    And they say Canberra lacks style ……
    JP.
    xx

• Carla 3 years ago

Not sure if it’s mention above, I didn’t see it but I may have missed it.
    The great framed image of the rabbit with tatts looks like a Rona Green print. Such a striking image I thought I’d mention it. http://www.ronagreen.com

• Sarah Mackay 3 years ago

I am mad about the Cool Galah towels but the absolute stand out favourite is the 211 dark multi stripe. Love it and Love the Design Files!

• Samone 3 years ago

Oooh, thanks for the heads up re Rona Green, Carla. I was gleaning the article trying to find out who that fabulously dapper Bunny Gent was by!

• Fern 3 years ago

Love it all!
    Does anyone know where the ‘flower’ lamp in the lounge room is from???

• Margo Carlon 3 years ago

wow,wow and wow.What a wonderful personalised space to reside in.
    Love the Molly Pwerle, Bromley, and the rest.
    Cheers Margo

• George Krokos 3 years ago

What prompted or inspired you in the poem “Universal Freedom Is…” to want to write it across a wall in your very colorful and beautiful house? Have you had a chance to read any more of my poems? It would be appreciated if you could please let me know.
    Regards and thanks, George Krokos..

• Jane Pettersen 3 years ago

Hello George,
    Thank you for writing to me.
    I LOVE your poem, ‘Universal Freedom Is’….
    It is the ultimate reconnection with what is important and real and of value in
    the fast and often superficial world we live in.
    It makes me reconnect with my heart every time I walk past it.
    Thank you.
    Jane P.

• Jane Pettersen 3 years ago

Did someone tell you it was on The Design Files?
    JP.

• I love that digital print on the shower screen in the bathroom picture. What a fantastic idea!

• Rebeka Bardou 3 years ago

LOVE it!!!!

beautiful work or art!

• Andrew Letton 3 years ago

Fantastic Jane! Lily had told me about this many times but I just had no idea…. A credit to you!

• Kate 2 years ago

Please tell me who made that shower screen. It is fabulous!

• Georgie 2 years ago

Love the “aliveness” of this house where do I get that lamp in the lounge room
    Great ideas inspiration feels like a home with a heart