Events

The Design Files Open House 2014 · OPEN TODAY!

Thursday 4th December 2014

In case you missed it (highly unlikely) I am just writing one last little post to remind you all that The Design Files Open House 2014 is officially open TODAY and for the next 4 days in Collingwood, Melbourne – woohoo, we got there!

After an epic few months of planning, building, and transforming our warehouse space, we are SO pumped to throw open the doors at The Design Files Open House today, and share this very special project with you all!  If you’re in Melbourne please do pop down and pay us a visit! We’re open today for four days, 10.00am – 5.00pm, from today until this Sunday Dec 7th…. and just in case you need a little further encouragement to pay us a little visit, we thought we’d share a little sneak peek today! These beautiful shots of the house were captured earlier this week by Eve Wilson.

ENORMOUS THANKS once again to all supporters and sponsors who have been instrumental in getting this project off the ground for the fourth year running!  We’re immensely grateful to Bank of Melbourne who are our inaugural Major Event Partner this year, and who have really enabled us to bring Open House to life on a larger scale than ever before!

We also have five wonderful Major Sponsors supporting the event this year.  Jardan have been with us ever since our very first event in 2011 – we are so grateful for their ongoing support.  Australia’s leading paint brand Dulux are also with us again this year, and we’ve selected a palette of stunning Dulux colours to feature throughout the house.  Thanks also to Fiat for their generous support of this event – you’ll be able to see our super cute customised Fiat500 by Georgia Perry parked outside the Open House event each day.  Thanks also to Royal Oak Floors, whose beautiful range of wide oak and herringbone floors can be seen throughout the house.  AND last but not least, building Open House from scratch has enabled us to design and build a full scale KITCHEN ourselves, which has been possible with the generous support of Siemens, whose sleek kitchen appliances feature in the house.

HUGE THANKS ALSO to all the amazing artists, designers, local businesses and friends who have participated and supported this crazy venture once again this year – especially Cookes Food who cooked up a storm for our opening event last night, serving wine from All Saints Estate.  Charlie and Wona from Loose Leaf alongside Georgina Reid aka The Planthunter all deserve a mention for all the amazing leafy plant life they have installed in here over the past week… and I also must give a well deserved shout-out to Esther at The Project Agency – the most amazing, hardworking and passionate publicist any client could wish for.

A special thanks is in order also to our most excellent team, especially the bump in crew who have worked tirelessly over the last two months to pull this thing off –  My talented fella Gordon Johnson, Huw Smith (you guys are truly superhuman, thank you!) Nat Turnbull, Gemma Portelli, Marni Kornhauser, James Clark, Jona Gunn, Chrissie (my wonderful Mum!), and Lisa Marie Corso (Words fail me… LISA YOU ARE one in a MILLION!).

ONE FINAL THING.  Those who follow us on Instagram will know that this year for the first time we have decided to harness your incredible support of Open House, by asking all visitors for a gold coin donation for the Aslyum Seeker Resource Centre. The ASRC do life-changing work supporting asylum seekers and refugees in our community, providing housing, food, legal aid and vital services to those desperately in need, right here in Melbourne.  We’re aiming to raise $10,000 for the ASRC Christmas appeal by end of day Sunday!  Please dig deep, bring your loose change and help us smash our target! x

The Design Files Open House 2014
12 Smith st
Collingwood
Vic 3066

Open from today until this Sunday December 7th,  10.00am – 5.00pm daily.

FOUR DAYS ONLY people – come visit!

Our amazing internal courtyard!   Lush green plant wall by Loose Leaf in collaboration with The Planthunter.  Hanging lights by Moya Delany.  French Grey Herringbone flooring by Royal Oak Floors. All furniture by Jardan. Photo – Eve Wilson.

Thursday 4th December 2014

• Lachlan 2 years ago

Omg, the open house looks like it will be a-mazing once again !! Go you guys, you rock so much !

• Philippa 2 years ago

It all looks amazing…..the plants! Well done to all :-)

• Amelia 2 years ago

Congratulations Lucy and team – what an amazing effort and the results look super cool. I love the coloured walls, so inspiring. Good luck with the next few days!

• Jo 2 years ago

OMG! WOW! L + G + L + C + the team!!!! You’ve done it again! This year looks unbelievably good!! Have the best weekend guys! xx

• mdo 2 years ago

The plants are amazing … would love details about the splashback behind the cooktop – tiles?

• Kristin 2 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE

• Emma 2 years ago

Congratulations you guys! This looks A-MAAAZING this year!! <3

• Emma 2 years ago

Looks absolutely incredible. Congratulations! Can hardly wait to come and see!!!!

• Rachel M. 2 years ago

Loved it so much! Particularly the green room. Good job Lucy and co.
    Hope the rest goes well. xx

• Lauren 2 years ago

Thanks Lucy and the team, I caught up with some friends and had a coffee today and it was just lovely! Such an awesome space and I can’t imagine the effort that must go into running open house for everyone! Loved it. My only negative comment is that it turned out to be a very expensive visit as we walked out with a poster. Oops.

• Jodie 2 years ago

WOW! I adore every perfect little detail…..when can I move in!? Its times like these I wish Perth wasn’t so far away as I would have loved to visit! There’s always next year…… :)

• If you’re interested in doing the same thing in Sydney we’d love to be a part of it.

• Romona Sandon 2 years ago

Hi Lucy! Looks soooo amazing and wish I could have made it over to Melbourne to take a peek.
    Can you say where you got those white etched-look tiles in the Kitchen Detail shot? They are lovely!
    Cheers.

• Ali 2 years ago

I visited yesterday and was impressed that I was welcomed at the door by Lucy. Now you could one of those execs who thinks that her is job is done and can now leave it to the team,but instead there you are front of house. I watched you for a while and admired how engaging you were with people. What a credit all of this is to you. By the way really liked the house, especially liked the greenery. Well done.

• Lisa 2 years ago

Hi Lucy,

Visited TDF open House yesterday…once again, a fantastic space full of inspiration. Was a tad, OK, very disappointed that there wasn’t much of the Robert Gordon pottery left…my question is, what were the cabinets made from…Were they laminate? Or another product? And also, the tiles ? on the kitchen splashback, would love to know what they were too….and any time you would like to send your clever man to my neck of the woods, he would be warmly welcomed to renovate my kitchen!! Thanks again for a fab house!

• Melissa Uchiyama 2 years ago

Hello glamorous amazing team, I was so so inspired by the photo of the indoor courtyard, seen above, that tonight, I took a wall of my own & emulated the look, a bit translated & individualized. May I share your page, the fabulous inspiration, in sharing my fun, new wall on my blog?