Melbourne Home · Eddie Kaul and Richa Pant

Wednesday 28th May 2014

HG_carlton8918

The Melbourne home of Eddie Kaul and Richa Pant. Stanley stool by Jardan. Photography – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9139

Painting by Emily Ferretti from Sophie Gannon Gallery, little ceramic Raku planter by Bridget Bodenham from Mr Kitly. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9033

Living room. Artwork by Belinda Fox from Scott Livesey Galleries, fiddle leaf fig tree from Glasshaus Nursery, couch by Jardan. Photo – Eve Wilson. Photography – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9114

Living room details.  Top Shelf – David Band Limited Edition Print from Olsen Irwin Gallery, Antique prints from Brighton maps. Second Shelf from Top – Printed Book Vee Speers from Amazon,  Akiko Hirai Ceramic bottles from Mr Kitly, white basket from The Minimalist.  Photography – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9127

Painting by Belinda Fox from Scott Livesey Galleries, stacking vessels by Pia Wustenberg, plants from Glasshaus Nursery. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton-portrait

Richa and Eddie at home. Photo – Eve Wilson.

Today’s beautiful contemporary Melbourne apartment highlights the great importance of cultivating a deep sense of trust between interior designer and client.   Drawing on their Indian heritage, Eddie Kaul and Richa Pant originally had different ideas for their home, but with the encouragement of Hamish Guthrie and the team at Melbourne interior design firm Hecker Guthrie, they were guided to create an elegant, understated interior which they now couldn’t imagine changing.  ‘Our original intent with this house was to add colour and make it match out Indian heritage, but Hecker Guthrie took us on a journey of designing for simplicity and elegance, and layering in the detail in subtle ways’ says Eddie.  Though they say it was a little confronting to begin with, the pair welcomed the challenge, and are thrilled with the results.

Eddie and Richa first moved into their much loved apartment in Carlton two year ago, in May 2012.  Both are originally from India – Eddie has been living in Melbourne for over 20 years, and Richa joined him in early 1997.  Though Richa originally studied interior design in India, she and Eddie both studied business after coming to Australia, and each now work in multinational firms in the CBD.  These days, they are super busy professionals who work long hours, love what they do and travel often, and so for them, this inner city home is a cherished sanctuary, and a place to recharge.

Eddie and Richa were the first occupants of their apartment, which was designed by Melbourne architectural firm Woods Bagot, with interiors by Hecker Guthrie.  After moving in, they made a few key additions to the existing floorplan.  A custom designed wall unit was added in the living room to accommodate books and treasured trinkets, and a number of carefully selected pendant and wall lights were added to inject individuality into the space.

Though both Eddie and Richa have both taken great pride in transforming their apartment into a layered, personalised space, it is Richa who has really blossomed under the guidance of the team at Hecker Guthrie.  ‘I should highlight that this project became a near obsession for Richa as she re-learnt her interior design thinking’ says Eddie affectionately, ‘her style evolved radically during the process – she is a dyed in the wool Scandie now!’  With a little encouragement, Richa also gained confidence in choosing artworks by a number of local artists including one of our personal favourites – Emily Ferretti.  Picking up from where Hecker Guthrie left off, Richa has continued to layer and enhance the home over the past two years since moving in, filling the space with other artworks by local painters, handblown glassware and handcrafted ceramics.

Aside from it’s meticulously presented interior, a key part of the appeal of this home is its leafy outdoor courtyard, and the plants all around the house. A wonderful addition to this inner city space, this lush plant life is the result of great dedication and a steep learning curve for Richa and Eddie, who previously didn’t have a green thumb between them!  For their newfound love of all things green, the pair credit Paul Hyland from Richmond plant nursery Glasshaus, who changed their outlook on living with plants. ‘Paul has taken us on a journey of change, from being people who could barely keep a plant alive, to ones who have a thriving garden’ says Eddie.  ‘Our plants love us, and we love them… and they add to the personality of our home’.

What’s clear with Eddie and Richa talk about their apartment is just how much they truly love their home.  They talk enthusiastically about the decisions they have made here – from the art they have carefully selected (‘We enjoy the artwork every single day, every piece was chosen with great love and care’) to their dining table, made by local designer Daniel Barbera (‘it’s an elegant, hand crafted piece made with care by a local designer, and it perfectly suits our home’).

One unexpected side effect of this design journey has been Richa’s reignited interest in interior design, and she is now a self confessed ‘Pinterest junkie’, finding and sharing exciting new pieces all the time!  ‘While the journey itself has been deeply rewarding and has helped us grow and refine our tastes as well as our interests, the outcome for the home is nothing short of amazing!’ says Eddie.  ‘We love our home. The harmony of colours, textures and materials here. All these have the effect of creating a peaceful home which is great for winding down as well as entertaining’.

I’ll finish up with a sweet anecdote, as told by Eddie, that seems to perfectly summarise Eddie and Richa’s deep affection for their home! –

‘When Richa was leaving for work one morning just recently, I said goodbye and got back to reading my emails, but I didn’t hear the door shut as I was expecting. I didn’t realise this for about a minute, but then looked up.  I saw Richa standing near the door with a glazed-eyed look… which she was shaken out of when she saw me looking at her in puzzlement. She looked at me sheepishly and said… ‘I was just standing here enjoying our beautiful house!’

Awww such a sweet little story!  What better way to describe that toasty, comforting ‘I love my home’ feeling! Huge thanks to Eddie and Richa for sharing their home and story with us today.

HG_carlton8986

Kareena Zerefos limited edition prints from Signed & Numbered in Prahran. Ceramics by Yoko Ozawa from Mr. Kitly. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9162

Kitchen / dining details. Dining table by Daniel Barbera, chairs by Hay, glass domes by Amanda Dziedzic. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9170

Glass domes by Amanda Dziedzic. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9075

Artwork by Belinda Fox from Scott Livesey Gallery, terrarium from Totokaelo, plants inside from Glasshaus Nursery. couch by Jardan. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9805

Kitchen details. Painting to right by Matthew Johnson from NKN Gallery. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton9003

Bedroom details. Watercolour by Nicolas Harding from Sophie Gannon Gallery. Akiko Hirai Ceramic bottle from Mr Kitly. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton8979

Bedroom details. Photo – Eve Wilson.

HG_carlton8943

Outdoor terrace.  Photo – Eve Wilson.

Wednesday 28th May 2014

• Molly 5 months ago

gorgeous home!

do you know the source of the headboard?

thank you!

• Ellie 5 months ago

Gorgeous! I could look at these photos all day! I especially love the courtyard.

• Rachel Castle 5 months ago

I want to live in this house. Very badly. x

• Anastasia @ WFH 5 months ago

Beautiful Simple lines and lots of white…. very nice.

• Therese 5 months ago

I love the beautiful calm design- so lovely!!!!!

• jasmine McClelland 5 months ago

Well done, soft..relaxing with out being cold. Always love the use of plants..

• Jane 5 months ago

What a beautiful home. I would love to live there.

• Christy 5 months ago

Gorgeous home, and so peaceful! These two have given me hope that my black thumb may not be a permanent infliction. Any chance of finding out where the brass wall light next to the signed and numbered prints came from? Thanks :-)

• Amanda 5 months ago

Sophisticated, calm and thoughtful.

• Nina 5 months ago

This house is perfection. Simple and chic… love all of it. Thank you for showing it to us!

• Yolanda 5 months ago

What a stunning apartment! Please, is there any chance that the source of the marble side table in the living room be revealed. Divine. Thank you for sharing.

• Alexsia Heller 5 months ago

beautiful!

• Siew-Fung 5 months ago

Beautiful home!! Lucy, you able to let me know what is the kitchen’s countertop + splashback material? They look beautiful! And the sexy shinny exhaust above the stove top, brand?

• Lisa 5 months ago

Dream home. Absolutely love this. Can you tell us more about that brass wall lamp?

• Paula 5 months ago

Love, love and I want to live their WITH Rachel Castle! Name of the rug in the dining area and beautiful headboard and bedding old make my day please. And how lovely to read how much they adore thir home! Swoon.

• rebecca 5 months ago

Thank you for sharing. I love the rug under the circular dining table – any chance of sharing the source? thanks.

• Indra 5 months ago

Too much beauty in one post. I am off to pin it to bits. #dreamhome

• Melissa 5 months ago

Stunning! It looks so serene and that courtyard is stunning.

• Jane 5 months ago

EVERY light fitting in this place. Perfection.

• Amandine 5 months ago

The rug underneath the circular dining table is ‘Vigor” from Halcyon Lake.

• ella 5 months ago

The Headboard is a Diesel by Moroso bed that I lust over.

• Vinod Sharma 5 months ago

Elegant and tastefully decorated. Can’t wait for my kids to grow up so that i can think anything white…

• PJ 5 months ago

Brilliant fusion of minimalism combined with the warmth of natural materials and soft lines. Does anyone know what the outdoor chairs are?

• Jenny 5 months ago

great design, simple, bright and warm.

• Romona Sandon 5 months ago

Damn Hecker Guthrie – you guys don’t miss a beat! Absolutely stunning home that anyone would be privileged to live in. Beautiful materials, furniture and artwork. Love it!

• Melissa 5 months ago

Absolutely beautiful home! I’m interested in the brand of the pendant light that hangs above the Daniel Barbera dining table. Can you help me please? Thanks !

• honeysuckle 5 months ago

Trademark HG interior… that pale palette! Is this a cool Wellington Parade appartment? The courtyard makes me think it is…

• Ange Walsh 5 months ago

Just so stunning – I would never leave for work. Eddie – you’re famous!!

• Margot 5 months ago

Some beautiful pieces. Love the outdoor area and all the indoor plants.

• maryla 5 months ago

Just a beauty of a place to live. Well done again to H&G!!

• Kate 5 months ago

Hello All,

Love this house…anyway we can find out who manufactured the bed head?

Thanks so much,

Kate

• keren 5 months ago

beautiful. do you mind telling us where the pendant is from above the kitchen table?

• letitia 5 months ago

Beautiful home with such a sense of calm, and elegance & comfort. Dream home! x

• rbid 5 months ago

beautiful apartment – but it doesnt really give you any clues as to the personality of the owners. it would have been great to see some of their Indian heritage and love of colour expressed throughout the house – to truly make it Eddie & Richa’s house and no body elses….

• Kate D 5 months ago

Truly stunning home. Would love to know where the brass wall lamp comes from?

• Karli 5 months ago

Hi! Please let us know the benchtop material. Thank you.

• Richa 5 months ago

The bench top is Turkish limestone – Natural Tundra Grey

• Richa Pant 5 months ago

The lamp is Milano Restart lamp

• Eddie and Richa 5 months ago

Renae, the most incredible part of this beautiful design is that it captures our essence without losing the beautiful simplicity that we have come to love!

The books on the shelf (covering the most amazing range of topics that only someone with Richa’s passion for reading could have collected), the colourful comics from India that only we know about, the artefacts of our travels sprinkled all over the house, the beautiful abstracted sunrise painting by Matthew Johnson and the orange thread that runs through the house that starts with that painting, the hand blown India vessels by Pia Wüstenberg, and the beautiful, serene and subtle image of a man deep in thought in Belinda Fox’s painting… they are all reflections of us… of our passions, of our past, and of all the things that make us tick.

Hamish Guthrie and Simone Haag made the effort to understand the real Richa and Eddie, and that they could weave so much about us into what they did without compromising their incredible design ethic showed just how utterly and tremendously talented they are! Thanks Hamish and Simone!

• Julianne 5 months ago

What a stunning house you have!!!! I love so much it is hard to list. Hamish and Simone did an amazing job and it sounds like they personalized the space perfectly. I especially love the cupboards I would love to have some made for my home in Barbados. Were the kitchen cabinets custom built? I love the hardware. Congrats on your beautiful space! :)

• Z 5 months ago

Beautiful home and even better hearing from the homeowners themselves that their designers so thoughtfully ensured that their clients peronalities and loves were very much a part of the whole design process.

• Binaykia 5 months ago

beautiful stunning apartment – it would have been great to see some of their Indian heritage , which I am sure is there but has not been captured in these photos.

• Josh 5 months ago

I’ve found Richa’s pinterest account which has plenty of great inspiration for all you design file lovers! http://www.pinterest.com/rpant12/

• Dee 5 months ago

Eddie & Richa, what a stunner of a home you both have! Sophisticated yet calm
    & relaxing!! I love your globe on the shelf in your living room – is it possible you could let us know where you sourced that. Thank you.

• Simone 5 months ago

The bed is by Diesel for Moroso (Hub), the pendant over the dining table is by Brokis (Hub) and the marble side table is by Map Furniture.
    It’s so lovely to read the positive comments coming in for these delightful clients and their special home.

• Kris 5 months ago

What a seriously stunning home. Such glorious attention to detail and an overall beautiful, peaceful space. Well done to all involved! I would love to know where is the outdoor rug from??

• Amy 5 months ago

Stunning Home!!! I’m desperate to know where to buy/source the white armchair.. with small orange detail?

• marie 5 months ago

Love this look – very well put together and blending so naturally – l have come back a few times to look at it – just so easy on the eye – well done

• Karli 5 months ago

Thanks Richa! I don’t think I’ve seen Turkish limestone stocked anywhere. I was set on concrete until I saw this! I will search for stockists. Thanks again. Such a gorgeous home.

• Amy 5 months ago

One of my favourites! Love everything.
    I’m currently on the hunt for the exact carpet colour that you have in your lounge room. Richa if you read this I’d love to know where to source it. Thank you.

• Richa Pant 5 months ago

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. Here are answers to some of the questions:
    1) Globe lamp: DesignerGiftsForMen.com.au – Bamboo Globe from Atmosphere
    2) Outdoor rug: West Elm Iznik Dhurrie
    3) White armchair with Orange detail: Poliform Santa Monica Armchair
    4) the kitchen cabinets were part of the original Apartment designed by Hecker Guthrie and Woods Bagot. I am not sure who did the cabinet design – it might have been HG.

• Richa Pant 5 months ago

Hi Amy, Sadly the carpet was part of the Apartment we purchased. The only detail I have is the brand. It’s Park Manor cut pile carpet. It is from Feltex Carpets Pty Ltd.

• Hamish Guthrie 5 months ago

Ok Rachel Castle and Paula, we’re all moving in with Eddie and Richa! It’s going to be a squeeze but should be a lot of fun! Thank you all for your generous comments and feedback and thanks again Lucy for the brilliant feature. It was a true pleasure working with Richa, Eddie on a journey to transition their beautiful apartment into an amazing ‘home’ and big thanks for inviting Simone and I to be part of this process. We hope you enjoy for many years to come and now have to confidence to let the home evolve with you over this time.
    thanks again Sim for the great work.
    H

• Amy 5 months ago

Thank you Richa! I think I have found it!

• Maddy 5 months ago

Any idea where the white lamp in the living room is from? It’s so simple and perfect, I love it.

• Markus 5 months ago

Wow very calming and beautiful. Great curatorship and finds by the Hecker Guthrie team!

• Maddy Porter 5 months ago

Love this home! Would you be able to share where the white lamp in the living room (next to the fiddle leaf) is from? It’s so simple and lovely!

• Sarah 4 months ago

Stunning home! Does anyone know what the large plant in the living room is? Thanks

• Vanessa 4 months ago

I would LOVE to know where the fabric or materials were sourced for the cushions on the couch and bed? Hamish, Simone, Eddie or Richa?

• Richa 4 months ago

Answers to the above three questions are:
    1) Maddy, the lamp is Arkipelag floor lamp
    2) Sarah, the Big leaf plant is Fiddle leaf Fig
    3) Venessa, the fabric for the floral cushion in the bedroom is from Westbury Textiles (Kyoto Garden); the leather cushion in the bed is from Mr and Mrs White; the floral cushions on the living room couch are from http://www.bluebellgray.com
    Happy Shopping!

• Mary 4 months ago

Lovely! I’ve tried a few shades if white in my home but have been Unsatisfied with the effect! Can you please share the specifics of this paint used throughout?

• Jennie 4 months ago

Absolutely beautiful home. Elegant, relaxed and warm. I hope my husband and I are able to achieve this feel in our home.
    If possible please would you let me know the source of the beautiful grey covered headboard and pillows in the bedroom, together with the white bedding. We live in the UK so hopefully we can source . Many Thanks. Jennie

• Michelle 3 months ago

Great, the atmosphere elegant, simple, very soft furnishings with very place

• Jen 3 months ago

Such a lovely home! I keep going back to the photos for inspiration! I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the beautiful white outdoor table? I’ve been hoping to find one just like it to complete my outdoor furnishings. I don’t see any reference for it in the post or thread. Thank you for your beautiful pictures. They are very inspiring.

• Richa 3 months ago

Hi Jen, the white outdoor table is from Hub Furniture. It’s the Eno Maya table.

• Juho 1 week ago

Splendid! As a Finn, this all seems much more interesting to me, than the pure/cold style that my image of scandinavian is :)

Any chance to find out what the terrace chairs are? Do the pillows come with them or not, and if not, I’d appreciate to know the source of the pillows as well!