Western Australian Home · Fiona MacLennan, Ken Norrish and Family

Wednesday 24th April 2013

Dining area in the incredible WA home of Fiona MacLennan, Ken Norrish and Family.  Danish Glass on late 1940’s Australian blonde sideboard.  Polished concrete, 1950s chairs Moller teak and Bertoia diamond.  Photo by Angelita Bonetti, production / styling by Anna Flanders for The Design Files.

Open plan living / dining area.  Photo by Angelita Bonetti, production / styling by Anna Flanders for The Design Files.

Entrance hall.  Huge French vintage poster.   Photo by Angelita Bonetti, production / styling by Anna Flanders for The Design Files.

North facing protected timber terrace/deck.  Photo by Angelita Bonetti, production / styling by Anna Flanders for The Design Files.

I’m always very excited to share a WA home with you all – I know they’re few and far between around here, but with the amazing assistance of Perth based stylist Anna Flanders and photographer Angelita Bonetti, we’re slowly but surely working in a few more incredible WA homes into the TDF mix!

Today’s amazing family home comes to us from the Yallingup Siding region, which is on the West Coast of WA, about 3 hours South of Perth.  It’s the home of one very creative family – Fiona Maclennan, Ken Norrish and their son Mackie.

Ken and Fiona share a passion for great design, and have each made their livings from sourcing and selling beautiful furniture and homewares, and renovating homes together in the WA area.  Fiona grew up in a design family, and has lived with beautiful design pieces all her life.  Ken has been an antiques dealer and obsessive restorer / renovator since his teens, whilst Fiona has always been more drawn to mid-century design and Japanese pieces. (She still runs occasional Japanese ceramic pop-ups called ‘Momo Home’ in the Margaret River region.)  Apparently Ken is quite well known around Fremantle and Perth, particularly for his big Tuscan-style renovations in the 90’s, which were well documented in various interiors magazines such as House & Garden at the time!

Despite having renovated and sold many homes together, this is the first home that Ken and Fiona have built from scratch. ‘This is our first new house, built after many renovations and restorations’ says Fiona.  The pair selected this block of land for its mix of native bush and the Northern outlook to the bay.  ‘We could build here without destroying bushland, and were able to design with big North windows for view and solar gain, which is rare in WA, as most views tend to be Westerly, with hot afternoon sun issues’.

Having previously lived in a lightweight old beach house, in designing this home, Fiona and Ken became ‘a little obsessive’ about thermal mass, keen to ensure they would have lots of thick dark concrete floors absorbing winter sun.  First and foremost, this house was designed to suit the site, with functionality in mind – but an important influencing factor was also to create a space that would complement the incredible mid 20th Century furniture both Fiona and Ken have collected over the years.  Indeed this space certainly does seem to strike the perfect harmonious balance between efficient contemporary design and classic mid-century style.

Massive thanks to Ken and Fiona for sharing their stunning home with us today, and to Anna and Angelita for capturing it so beautifully!

Loungeroom.  1970’s B&B Italia sofa.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Peter Matulich bus stop drawing/painting.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Dining looking through to kitchen. ‘Our interpretation of a modern country kitchen / dining area, with an outlook over trees to Geographe Bay’ says Fiona.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Kitchen details.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Loungeroom detail. 1950’s fiberglass chairs by Lawerence Peabody.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Loungeroom reverse. Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Bookshelf detail – 1960’s Porsche 906 tin toy.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Loungeroom. Joss Gregson painting, 1950’s fiberglass chairs by Lawerence Peabody.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

North facing protected timber terrace/deck.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Master Bedroom. Recycled local Tuart timber, Moroccan rug.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Bedroom details.  Japanese kokeshi dolls sit on 1954 Danish Moller sideboard, and 1950’s Roger McLay ply Cone chair.  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Mackie’s bedroom. Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Main bathroom.  Raw cedar, glass mosaics and terazzo floor. Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Exterior.  Drystone granite retaining walls. 1970 Egli Vincent in the driveway (the original cafe racer!).  Photo – by Angelita Bonetti, styling – Anna Flanders.

Wednesday 24th April 2013

• Mary Anne 1 year ago

Gorgeous gorgeous family home! The Mon Oncle print looks fabulous! Love it all !

• ces 1 year ago

The view from terrace/deck is lovely. I want one too!

• White Forest Home 1 year ago

What a lovely space…bright, light and beautiful lush bushlands…

• Pamela Oberman 1 year ago

This is a beautiful expression of extreme good taste – this couple does Australia proud, love the shapes and lines and bold colour – even the motor bike seems to be a well thought out object of transportation.
    I am a Mon Oncle fan also.

• Pippa 1 year ago

What a thrill!

• jil casey 1 year ago

Love it!

• Ash B 1 year ago

Do you think they’d mind if I snuck in and took that McLay chair… and the Jielde lamps… and the Holmegaard collection… and…

• Melissa 1 year ago

The photography is gorgeous, so crisp. What kind of camera was used?

• Amanda 1 year ago

What a beautiful home. I’m getting ideas for our deck. And I love that sink. I wish we had bought that sink when we did our kitchen.

The bathroom is also beautiful.

• jessica 1 year ago

Stunning home, just lovely! =)

• Kate 1 year ago

Love the children’s bedroom, bathroom and vintage french posters! In fact, I love the whole house – just divine.

• Clare 1 year ago

Because I’m lame and practical I’m wondering how they dealt with the fire-proofing design requirements… seems to heaps more beautiful windows (without shutters) than my in-laws are thinking they’ll be able to have on a bush block.

• Sarah 1 year ago

Totally in love with this house!

• Kate 1 year ago

This is my most favourite house on TDF. Thank you!! xx

• Gemma 1 year ago

My favorite house so far. Keep up the good work.

• Darcie 1 year ago

Great house, love all the beautiful wood, and pops of colour. And that tap! I have been looking for one just like it. LOVE.

• Hannah 1 year ago

Lovely to see a WA home featured! x

• patricia 1 year ago

The coloured stools in the dining/kitchen- what are they?

• mel 1 year ago

stunning!

• Julianne godby 1 year ago

Hi can you tell me what and where i might get the lights that are hanging above the dining table???love them!

• Liz 1 year ago

Yes, what a divine house – I don’t think there is a bit I don’t like! Can you tell me the make and model of the wood burner, it is just what we are looking for and we are tired of seeing mock, old fashioned numbers with brass knobs! Love to know that please.

• Darcie 1 year ago

I can’t stop thinking about that black kitchen tap! Anyone know where I can find one like this? I am DESPERATE for one!

• julie arrowsmith 1 year ago

Design Files, your best ever.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• owls house london. 1 year ago

what a lovely, relaxed feel this home has, and the furniture pieces are a knock-out!

• Claire G 1 year ago

SOOOOOO happy to see another WA house on TDF!! And such a beautiful home.. Would love to see more like that from the West!

• Kirsty 1 year ago

Fabulous styling and story! Love the warm, yet modern look. K x

• EMMA F 1 year ago

Amazing home,so wan’t everything in it.

• business 1 year ago

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.

Anyhow, just wanted to say superb blog!

• Lisa G 1 year ago

Love! Happy space. Great light. Just one question, if I may …. Where did you purchase the fabulous world map in Mackie’s bedroom? Enjoy your wonderful home and thanks for sharing.

• Maria 1 year ago

Love it! Great to see homes from states other than vic and nsw!

Can you tell me where the vintage poster is from? Thanks!

• Patsy 1 year ago

Stunning. Just returned from a week ‘down south’ and this place really captures the essence of the creative yet natural vibe down there. There is a lot of homogenous boring top end design in WA right now, so it is lovely to see such imagination.

• Aretha Gasbarro 1 year ago

Movements of financial capital are normally dependent on either credit or equity transfers. Credit is in turn dependent on the reputation or creditworthiness of the entity which takes responsibility for the funds. Credit is also traded in financial markets. The purest form is the credit default swap market, which is essentially a traded market in credit insurance. -;

Remember to check into our very own blog site
    <http://www.healthmedicinentral.com

• Lee York 1 year ago

Great to see so many fantastic comments, this is a truly remarkable property.
    I thought I would let anyone who may be interested in buying the property know it is currently for sale. Feel free to give me a call if you would like more info 08 9759 1300

• Thanks for this, I really appreciate what you have done here. Keep it up, and I will be back for more.

• This blog contains nice information regarding design and color combination used in the interior. The eco friendly design and materials are used to make interior very delightful and beautiful environment. It will be helpful for the home renovations procedure.

• I was curious if you ever considered changing the structure
    of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so
    people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

• Rebecca 1 year ago

What an amazing place! Incorporating eco-friendly design, is really the way of the future. I’ve used these guys before to put in energy efficient lighting and it turned out really well, I would recommend them to anyone! http://lightsense.com.au/

• Excellent post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I am impressed!
    Extremely helpful information particularly the final phase :
    ) I take care of such information much. I used to be
    looking for this particular info for a very long time.
    Thanks and good luck.

• Nice to see the very impressive colours combinations for home and their different rooms.

• liz 1 year ago

Beautiful house – do you know where to get the wire chairs – ie. black one in the dining area, white on in the hall and on the deck?

• Susan 8 months ago

RE: bedroom Danish Sideboard
    I ‘m interested in the small vanity on top of the sideboard? Is it available somewhere?