Shopping

The Woodsfolk

Thursday 14th March 2013

The Woodsfolk, a sweet new homewares and gift store, open this week in Hawthorn.  Photo – Brooke Holm.

The Woodsfolk interior.  Love those buttons!  Photo – Brooke Holm.

The Woodsfolk.  Photo – Brooke Holm.

Amber Clohesy of The Woodsfolk.  We also love The Woodsfolk logo, designed by Amber’s favourite graphic design agency, Stitch Design in South Carolina. Photo – Brooke Holm.

You might have seen a bit of insta-buzz about new Melbourne store The Woodsfolk lately.  Open just this week, they had a sweet little launch last night, and I broke my self-imposed rule of not leaving the house on a weeknight to check it out… which was lucky because it is SO CUTE!

The Woodsfolk comes to us from Amber Clohesy.  She totally knows what she is doing because she already runs a super successful wholesaling company called Down To The Woods, founded in 2009.

‘Starting when my youngest daughter Tilda was six months old, I had no idea what I was undertaking and how fast it would grow’ recalls Amber of starting Down to the Woods just four years ago.  Amber launched those popular Heico animal lamps in Australia at Life Instyle in Sydney in 2010 –  there was a big fan base for them here already, and she really hit the ground running!  Six months later she launched her own range of felt products – YES this is where the famous Freckle Rug came from, people!  ‘That’s when things got really busy!’ says Amber!

Although Down to the Woods has been enormously successful and rewarding, it’s alway’s been Amber’s dream to open a shop.  ‘Our retail store has been on the drawing board for many years, I feel like one of those singers who launches an acting career in order to get their break, one day releasing an album, all the while crying ‘no, no I have been a singer all along!’ she says!  (BRILLIANT analogy, top marks Amber!).  However, with young kids at home, Amber was originally encouraged by family to launch a wholesaling business instead, feeling it was more ‘family friendly’.  BUT, one can only ignore their calling in life for so long!  This year was finally the year to disregard all family advice, secure a beautiful little shopfront in Hawthorn and jump head first into retail!

‘Opening The Woodsfolk has been a really big undertaking, and having worked closely with so many wonderful stores around Australia, it is clear the ones that do well are the ones where the owner is fiercely dedicated’ says Amber of her new venture.  She’s excited to finally have space to showcase not only her own product, but the work of many other brands and designers she admires – including local labels such as PonyriderKip & CoMade by Mosey and Lumiere Art & Co.  ‘I can hopefully have my follies and flights of fancies here, because I’m not ordering container loads of the product like I have to for the wholesale business’ explains Amber. ‘Right now dainty little boxes of product are turning up at the warehouse, and we all run and open them like a bunch of over excited kids!’.

That level of excitement definitely shines through in every aspect of Amber’s sweet little shop – from the product range to the styling, signage and smiley service… The Woodsfolk is definitely worth a little detour next time you’re in the area!

The Woodsfolk
39 Church St
Hawthorn
Victoria

P. (03) 9853 7581

Product at The Woodsfolk.  Prints by Lumiere Art & Co.  Photo – Brooke Holm.

Pretty details at The Woodsfolk.  Photos – Brooke Holm.

The Woodsfolk.  Photo – Brooke Holm.

Thursday 14th March 2013

• Carly 2 years ago

Cute store! I love your little articles about new places, keep the tips coming!

• Katie 2 years ago

Gorgeous homewares! Hawthorn is lucky to have such a beautifully curated shop from such talented designers. Can’t wait to visit.

• Dearest Lucy and Lisa,
    Thank you for joining us last night in celebration of the launch of The Woodsfolk. So thrilled to have your support and fabulous to see The Woodsfolk on The Design Files!
    xEsther

• Rebecca Dean 2 years ago

what a beautiful store and a great story of what hard work and dedication can achieve .

• Penelope 2 years ago

The store looks fantastic, and I am excited to discover Stitch Design Co from this post as well – their design work is just lovely!

• Natala 2 years ago

Love, Love, LOVE! I love everything about this store.

• Mandy Newman 2 years ago

Just saw about 15 things that I would buy! Online store perchance?

• Pamela 2 years ago

Wow!!! Such a great little store. I think its time to pack up and move to Melbourne!!! I agree with Mandy we definately need an online store PLEASE!!!

• Pamela 2 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bright coloured latte cups, bowls and jugs who makes them Lucy???

• jessica 2 years ago

wow so colourful! =) the weblink isn’t working??

• Lucy 2 years ago

OH THANKS Jessica sorry that link should be fixed now, thanks for the heads up! x

• Margie 2 years ago

What a fabulous space! That logo is so lovely – really captures The Woodsfolk’s ethos of family, dedication and hardwork – hence the shield! Congrats Amber and team.

• Margie 2 years ago

yep it’s fixed!

• Lucy, thank you so much for writing such lovely things about our store and for coming along last night to the launch. We just love the pieces and the beautiful images captured by Brooke and feel very honoured to be covered on The Design Files! We can’t wait for your next visit. Also your instagram snap of the outside of the store is great!!!!
    Pamela – the bright melamine is by Rice. The porcelain above is by Mud.
    Online – for now we take phone orders but we will have online up and running towards the end of the year.

• Jane 2 years ago

Just my kind of store – wish I was in Melbourne!

• Marioland 2 years ago

Full of colour! Hope I will be able to drop in some time.

• KESEMBOY 2 years ago

WOW!
    How awesome are those button hooks — go HK LIVING!

• Leslie 2 years ago

Oooooh wow…I’m so excited! I think this shop may have been opened just for me…everything looks wonderful! Hawthorn here I come.

• webbplats 2 years ago

certainly like your web-site but you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth nevertheless I

• Lucy Mora 2 years ago

Go Amber! You got it girl … looks fabulous !

• Becs 2 years ago

So I came across you through the Design Files post!!! Based in Cornwall in the Uk.

LOVE the look of your store… will be sure to blog about you and your beautiful collection of products in future. Congratulations and wishing you every success in the future!

• Aggie 2 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the theme and styling. Looking forward to popping in!

• Kylie Garner 2 years ago

What a beautiful store. Will put this on my places to visit next time I’m in Melbourne.

• Siggi 2 years ago

A lovely evening to be a part of! Really excited to pop in again soon to buy some goodies :)
    Well done guys on opening such a gorgeous little shop. X.

• Tarnya 2 years ago

What a beautiful store! Inspiring on all fronts.

• test 2 years ago

I’ve learned that you should always leave loved ones with loving words. It may be the last time you see them.