Lorena Gaxiola and family

Wednesday 30th January 2013

The Sydney home of interior designer Lorena Gaxiola and family.  Rug design by Verner Panton.  Artwork on left by American artist Josh Hassin, timber artwork on right by Jorge Tellaeche.  Photo – Phu Tang, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Loungeroom details.  Artwork on timber by Jorge Tellaeche.  Photo – Phu Tang, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Glass dining table by Glas italia, chairs by Cassina and hanging light fixture by German Designer Ingo Maurer.  Photo – Phu Tang, Production – Lucy Feagins / the Design Files.

Today’s home belongs to Mexico-born, Sydney based interior designer Lorena Gaxiola and family. Despite Lorena’s impressive design credentials (outlined below!), she hasn’t tinkered too much with the general layout of the space since purchasing her home six years ago. Though the basic structure of the home remains unchanged, cosmetic changes have included replacing floorboards, changing interior paint colours and some joinery, and also reworking the central courtyard area.

Lorena has a love of bold colour, and a passion for artwork collected on travels through the US and her native Mexico.  One of her favourite vignettes is the entrance hall, where an artwork by her friend, Mexican artist Jorge Tellaeche, is paired with an eyecatching graphic cabinet by Australian furniture maker Old School Industries. ‘The composition is me to a tee!’ Lorena says.

Whist I must admit it’s not entirely clear in these shots, Lorena’s home is built around a central courtyard – from the entrance through to the living space, each room opens onto a generous outdoor room. ‘I love how we can open the hallway, den areas and TV room opens into the courtyard creating an indoor/outdoor feel’ says Lorena. ‘It is an amazing party home!’.

Born and raised in Mexico, Lorena’s father, a respected architect, inspired her to follow in his footsteps in the field of design. As a result, Lorena co-founded her interior design firm, Kuatro Design, in the US in 2000, and became the sole director of the company in 2003. After many years spent running her company from the US, and winning a string of international awards, Lorena moved to Australia six years ago, and had her first child – Demi Luiza (pictured below – so cute!), in Sydney last year.  She now officially calls Australia home.

Though she’s a new Mum, Lorena still plays a very hands on role in running her design business, with high profile clients the US, Asia and Australia. At present, Lorena is also busy adding another string to her bow! Combining her Mexican heritage and international design experience, she is currently working with a small team of Sydney designers to  develop her own collection of homewares, to be released later this year under her own name. We got a sneak peek at the ceramics and glassware whilst we photographed her home and they are seriously SO AMAZING! Lorena’s range will include textiles, wallpaper, rugs, dinnerware and glassware. I wish very much I could share a preview with you here but alas they’re not quite ready for coverage yet. I’ll be sure to keep you posted – think Mexicana meets Missoni….!

Massive thanks to Lorena and Demi for having us, and sharing their home with us today!

Loungeroom details.  Photo – Phu Tang, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Couldn’t resist including a pic of Lorena’s gorgeous daughter Demi!  SO cute!  Black and white rug by Verner Panton. Photos – Phu Tang, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Entrance area – one of Lorena’s favourite vignettes, featuring a painting by her friend Mexican artist Jorge Tellaeche, paired with ‘Hollywood’ sign cabinet by Australian designers Old School Industries.  ‘The composition is me to a tee’ says Lorena.  This photo – Prue Ruscoe.

Deep, moody tones in the master bedroom.  This photo – Prue Ruscoe.

Lorena’s home is built around a central courtyard, accessed by front room, living room and the connecting hallway.  Photo – Phu Tang, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Lorena and Demi in the central courtyard.  Outdoor chairs by Verner Panton, table by B&B Italia.  Photo – Phu Tang, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Wednesday 30th January 2013

• Paula 2 years ago

Wow! how grown up and glamorous! Love it. One day I hope our Melbourne house looks like this.

• carla anderson 2 years ago

I love this house, so sophisticated but family friendly and cosy at the same time, great job!

• Anastasia 2 years ago

Gorgeous House and Cute Family. Great large scale wall colours as well…. Love.

• Karla Jimenez 2 years ago

Love it all!! That’s all I can say❤

• nola farah 2 years ago

Beautiful, individual, sophisticated.Love everything ,from the lighting to the artwork.
    Would not mind one DEMI either.

• Meegan 2 years ago

LOVE the blue, white and apricot rug. Suppliers?

• Vic @ Cush & Nooks 2 years ago

I love this home, especially that first rug and the art. You really need to put a book together with all your gorgeous homes! x

• Tania 2 years ago

An interesting mix of retro chic combined with glitzy bling but the balance is just right and works well.

Could anyone be so kind and provide details of door/window supplier? Thx in advance for the effort!

• Barbara Fisher 2 years ago

Stunning! So elegant yet individual. I can’t wait to find out more about Lorena’s homewares line!

And I agree with Vic @ Cush & Nooks – Lucy, you really need to produce a gorgeous coffee table book of all these amazing homes! I’d snap it up in a flash.

• Alisa 2 years ago

Love this space! Does anyone know what brand that hat stand is?

• Rachel 2 years ago

Gorgeous home! Also I love Demi’s blow up toy with all the balls. It looks HEAPS of fun plus looks so nice! Does anyone know where we could get one too? Thanks!

• Lorena Gaxiola 2 years ago

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your comments. Happy to answer your questions :-) The rug I bought at FY2K in Sydney. I don’t know the brand of the coat rack but I bought it at space furniture, it comes in a variety of colors. I wanted something sculptural that was also functional and this is perfect. I highly recommend it.
    All the best to all
    xoxo

• Lorena Gaxiola 2 years ago

Oops forgot 2 answers. the blue and apricot rug is by surya rugs and the windows, I’m not sure :-( sorry my home was built by Mirvac.

Let me know if you guys need to know anything else.
    Cheers!

• Karla Ballesteros 2 years ago

Wow amiga me encanta todo! Felicidades!

• test site 2 years ago

Hello there! This post couldn’t be written much better! Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept preaching about this. I am going to forward this post to him. Fairly certain he’s going to have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

• Hi there, I merely had to tell you, you’re dead wrong. Your current post didn’t make sense at all.

• Amanda 2 years ago

Hi Lorena
    You have a beautiful home. Where did you purchase the Ingo Maurer light above your kitchen table from? Do you know the name of it – as I have been unable to find it online?
    Many thanks
    Amanda

• Greenwood's Home 1 year ago

Hi Lorena. Your home is stunning. Can you let me know the wall colour please.
    Thank you.
    Sarah

• gajbir 1 year ago

lorena, amazing work and creativity the best u got . luv ur designs and architecture. ur d best