Shopping

Australian Vintage Posters

Tuesday 11th December 2012

‘Melbourne’ vintage Australian advertising poster, by James Northfield – reproduced under license by Australian Vintage Posters

‘Mornington’ vintage Australian advertising poster, by James Northfield – reproduced under license by Australian Vintage Posters

Ok so this gem stumbled into my inbox last week and I must admit I have shuffled a few things around to get it up in time for potential Christmas shopping!  I just thought these brilliant nostalgic prints would make such an excellent gift, particularly for blokes, who are always tricky to buy for.

Australian Vintage Posters is the somewhat accidental creation of Melbourne-based Andrew McUtchen, who, amongst other things, happens to be the Associate Ed of GQ Magazine! After designing his own wedding invitation based on an Australian vintage poster by Percy Trompf, Andrew developed a fascination for Australian vintage posters, and began searching for more. ‘We loved the invite so much that we went looking for more Australian vintage posters to decorate our house with.  It took ages to find any, and the ones we found were buried with the usual European posters – Cinzano, Campari etc’ recalls Andrew.

Andrew’s wedding invitation, based on an Australian vintage poster by Percy Trompf.

Frustrated by the scarcity of original Australian vintage posters, eventually Andrew approached a couple of the great Australian poster artists’ trusts, like the James Northfield Heritage Art Trust, and asked for a license to reprint his and others’ work.  After about six months of emails back and forth, they said yes! ‘Now I am the proud founder of Australian Vintage Posters, which will hopefully expand to become an authoritative source of Australian vintage poster art reproductions’ says Andrew.

Whilst his prints aren’t originals, Andrew has a clear affection for the artists whose work he has discovered, and is very keen to raise awareness of the great artists who created these iconic Australian images, such as James Northfield, Percy Trompf and Douglas Annand. ‘I absolutely love them – and I also think they’re curiously unknown’ says Andrew. ‘The most common response to the business has been – I didn’t know Australia had vintage posters‘.

Andrew has just launched his online shop just this week!  He has an appointment only space in the CBD, and his prints can also be found at Melbournalia in Victoria Market.   His posters are printed in Melbourne by specialist printer Roger Saddington of Art Strategies, and are priced starting from $159.00.

Australian Vintage Posters
Studio 611, Nicholas Building
37 Swanston Street, Melbourne 3000

(Gallery open by appointment)

‘Great Barrier Reef’ vintage Australian advertising poster, by James Northfield – reproduced under license by Australian Vintage Posters

Tuesday 11th December 2012

• carly 2 years ago

AMAZING! Love it Lucy!

• Teresa 2 years ago

This is amazing! I’m in love with the Mildura poster.

• Andrea 2 years ago

I agree the posters are fabulous, however the photos on his website did not download. So disappointed, would love to see more.

• Vintage Movement 2 years ago

Love a bit of Vintage Australiana – fabulous images.
    :) Tina

• Christina 2 years ago

I just love receiving design files daily – it’s so inspirational !!!!!

• leanne 2 years ago

gorgeous!! thinking i might have to get the mildura poster for my mildura-born friend…. xx

• Lucy 2 years ago

Ooh, these are wonderful! I’ve never seen vintage Australian based posters before – what a fabulous idea to reproduce them and raise awarness of the illustrators behind them at the same time. Love!

• gemma 2 years ago

these are stunning! what a find!

• jas 2 years ago

Love these vintage posters, the bird one reminds me of those old Aussie tea towels my Nan has, so iconic. Bookmarked for future purchasing fun!

• Christy 2 years ago

These are spectacular – well done Andrew! These have insntantly solved my dilemma of what to get my friends for their wedding. Now if only the website would stop crashing …

• Cathg1g2 2 years ago

Wedding invite is just too special

• Love this- what a fantastic idea for a business.

• mr jason grant 2 years ago

LOVE these!!!!

• Robertos 2 years ago

Whilst Andrew is quite rightly very upfront about these being reproduction posters, it seems a pity to me that his talent isn’t focused toward creating original designed posters. Whilst he has certainly selected artistic images, is there really any value in reproductions?

• Lainameg 2 years ago

What a holiday feel.

National Library of Australia has some fabulous original ones as does Monash Uni Gallery.

• April 2 years ago

Another great source of vintage Australian posters is Vintage Venus based in Braidwood NSW. I have just had 4 James Northfield posters printed by them incl the Melbourne one shown here. They are very good quality (the framer commented on the quality of the ink and paper used) and they arrived promptly and well packaged.

• PJE 2 years ago

Just outstanding. Divine idea for Christmas and B’day presents!!

• alex 2 years ago

cannot wait for this xmas pressie to arrive
    for me
    from. . . me

• I love art paintings, especially the Great Barrier Reef painting in Queensland, Australia. The fishes looks real even if they aren’t moving. The poster who did this is indeed very skilled.

• Kris 2 years ago

Did you know these same images can be purchased as files from our state and national libraries? The Melbourne one can be purchased for $35 and you can get it printed exactly how you like. The money goes to libraries who keep these things preserved… a much better idea!

• Poster maniac 2 years ago

I am in a poster bussines and i can say this is some lovely stuff… If you are interested, you can check our book of street poster ideas at http://www.uphere.com.au … They are more modern time stuff but good as these above…

• bigcommerce 1 year ago

I every time used to read article in news papers but now
    as I am a user of net so from now I am using net for content, thanks to web.

• garcinia cambogia 10 months ago

Great post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I’m
    inspired! Very useful information specifically the remaining
    phase :) I care for such information much. I was seeking this certain information for
    a very lengthy time. Thank you and good luck.

• alwyn ehlers 7 months ago

I have 6 originals 101 to106,lyre bird,parliment house,inland cattle,barrier reef,sailing boats syd harbour,pastural.Left to me by my mum,great bits of australiania.