Shopping

The Quintessential Magazine

Thursday 15th November 2012

THE quintessential MAGAZINE

Pagespreads from the launch issue of THE quintessential MAGAZINE, which goes live today!

Australia’s newest online publication goes live today.  Entitled THE quintessential MAGAZINE, this impressive digital offering comes to us from an esteemed group of creative collaborators… and it looks SERIOUSLY stunning.

THE quintessential MAGAZINE is actually an extension of Sydney’s much loved quintessential duckeggBLUE and duckeggBLUE retail stores, owned and expertly curated by Leanne Carter-Taylor.  The magazine sprang from Leanne’s creative vision, but is brought to life in collaboration with editor and creative director Tracy Lines, who has over 16 years working in magazines both in the UK and here (she was formerly lifestyle publisher at Murdoch Books, and creative director of Inside Out magazine).

Joining Leanne and Tracy in realising this ambitious project are Rachel Peachey and Paul Mosig of Racket Design, who produce award winning web and print design for clients Australia-wide from their studio in Katoomba, NSW.

Other clever creative collaborators include stylist and decorator John Mangila, and photographer Dan Himbrechts – an editorial and commercial photographer who regularly contributes to The Australian and the Sunday Telegraph, and is a finalist in the 2012 News Photography Nikon-Walkley Awards.

THE quintessential MAGAZINE is about sharing the values of Leanne’s business and understanding the need people have for getting back to basics, connecting with the past and the history of the pieces we covet and treasure’ says Tracy. As a natural extension of the duckeggBLUE brand and retail offerings, the magazine features product and content central to Leanne’s stores, providing an outlet for the rich stories which accompany her unique product range.  ‘Often it’s the story behind the purchase that’s as important as the purchase itself’ says Tracy.

We asked Leanne and Tracy a few questions about this inspired creative collaboration! –

Leanne, You’ve gathered a loyal following for your Sydney stores, quintessential duckeggBLUE and duckeggBLUE – what inspired the move from retail into digital publishing?

Leanne - Over the past couple of years I have been asked on many occasions by colleagues, clients and friends when would I write a book that documented what I do within our furniture store, quintessential duckeggBLUE. I thought about it, but to be honest, it always went to the back of my mind, as I was always I focused on the day to day running of the stores.

I made a promise to myself this year that I would cut back on my travelling with work, and not take on any more projects as we are renovating our home, so I wanted to focus on that – I wanted to be available and in the country throughout the renovations!

Not quite sure what happened, because the next thing I knew I was writing a project brief and asking Tracy Lines to come on board as the editor of the magazine!  From that day forward I haven’t looked back!  I feel that developing an online magazine made us push boundaries – it certainly wasn’t seen as an easier option to writing a book, just somehow more relevant.

THE quintessential MAGAZINE brings you the stories behind our brand and stores through a rich visual blend of beautiful photography, interactive features and videos, along with inspiring stories covering the people, the collectors and the makers we work with and meet.  Exploring all things quintessential, the reader will have a fresh insight into the home of ‘found industrial & antique objects’.

How long has this project been in development?

Leanne - This idea has been in my head for some time now. Making it a reality has been challenging, but who doesn’t love a good challenge? When I initially wrote the brief / proposal for Tracy Lines and Racket Design back in late July, I wrote a ‘disclaimer’ saying I had no idea where or how far this project would take us!  I knew what I wanted, but the end result has far surpassed anything we all could have wished for. I think everybody involved is thrilled with what we have produced and with all the concepts and ideas we have for edition 2, 3 and 4 – Tracy and I are discussing our first birthday edition already!

What are your goals for THE quintessential MAGAZINE?

Tracy - THE quintessential MAGAZINE is honest and authentic.  We aim to encourage ideas and evoke emotion – this is at the very heart of what are doing here. We have explored new ways of creating online pages, from the inspiring visual impact through to the stories we are telling, and always remaining true to the quintessential duckeggBLUE brand.

It’s exciting for me to work with Leanne on such a new publishing platform which supports amazingly rich content and emotive storytelling.  The magazine is bi-monthly (we are busy working on the second edition right now) – our second edition will go live on February 7th 2013 – remember to bookmark the date!  Everyone involved is committed to producing an online magazine that has longevity.

What can we expect to see in the first issue?

Leanne – Interesting and creative content and photography that we hope our readers will engage with.  In our launch edition we’re feeling festive! Our feature story ‘A quintessential Christmas’ celebrates the home and inspires you to approach the yuletide season in a discerning and creative way.

Jeremy Granville Smith, our furniture restorer, invites us into his world of wax, planes and Vegemite-covered walls in ‘Meet the Maker’. We feel the love in ‘Me & My’ where author Victoria Alexander shares the heart of her home, and in ‘Every Piece Has a History’ repurposed objects get a new lease of life.

For readers that are intrigued as to how we find all things industrial & antique, we take readers behind the scenes on one of Leanne’s less-than-glamorous sourcing trips, where she digs deep and blows away the cobwebs on all things covetable and unexpected.

And to kick off our first edition, Karen McCartney (founding editor of Inside Out magazine) shares how she shapes an interior gradually with personal and genuine meaning in a piece entitled ‘the he(art) of fossicking’.

THE quintessential MAGAZINE is bi monthly and it doesn’t cost a penny!

Leanne Carter-Taylor and Tracy Lines of THE quintessential MAGAZINE

Thursday 15th November 2012

• This looks absolutely wonderful!

• Jewelene Barrile 2 years ago

This looks really good but I can’t figure out how to subscribe – all links ask for a prior log in & password?

• Sherrrie 2 years ago

The newsletter looks great. But the links to the mag don’t seem to work. As per Jewelene they take me to a login with no option to create a new account.

• Tim 2 years ago

The link to the mag takes you to a login page only. How do you subscribe?

• Ingrid 2 years ago

Looks beautiful, will check it out.

• Sannie Joy 2 years ago

Same problem with log in as above.
    curious from Denmark/Sweden

• Kim 2 years ago

Ditto. Can’t log on – help, looks like it will be great!

• Adele 2 years ago

I am also very keen to subscribe, but without the ability to create a username/password, am at a loss for what to do. Is there a sneaky, secret trick?

• Elizabeth 2 years ago

I would absolutely love to subscribe but am having problems with the website. It does not allow you to create new username/password. Please look into this would really love to view magazine. Thank you for bringing this to us!

• Rynagh 2 years ago

Yes, me too, I’m having the same problem. Looks gorgeous… would love to know how to sign up!

• Lucy 2 years ago

doh SORRY, have just spoken Tracy Lines and they’re having a few technical glitches this morning over at the Quintessential Mag! Sit tight, all should be sorted shortly and then you’ll be able to subscribe! Thanks for your patience!

• Susan 2 years ago

Can’t access just a loop through the login page.

• Tracy lines 2 years ago

Sorry for the slight delay… But up and running and ready to go….thanks so much for your patience, tracy

• Tracy lines 2 years ago

Dear Lucy. Thanks for your lovely article. Leanne and I at http://www.thequintessentialmagazine.com.au are as pleased as punch to be sharing something were so proud of. Many thanks also to the creative, inspiring and talented team and our good friends who have helped and supported us so much along the way. xx

• lizzz 2 years ago

I just subscribed and it seemed to work perhaps you try again?

• jaime 2 years ago

oh my, love your post and I am in love with this beautiful magazine…

• Carla Coulson 2 years ago

Have just been over and signed up a great magazine from such a creative team look forward to future editions! lovely interview with Leanne am sure it will be a success!
    Carla

• Katherine 1 year ago

I’ve learn a few just right stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for
    revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you put to make the
    sort of

wonderful informative web site.

• visit this website 1 year ago

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as you amend your web site,
    how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped
    me a applicable deal. I have been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered bright transparent concept

• Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several
    weeks of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any solutions
    to prevent hackers?

• bit.ly 1 year ago

I always spent my half an hour to read this web site’s posts daily along with a mug of coffee.

Feel free to visit my page – bit.ly

• I delight in, lead to I found just what I used to be taking a look for.
    You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

My web site; laser spine institute locations

• Kasha 1 year ago

I think in the case of Kasha, you definitely get what
    you pay for.

• Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to offer one thing back and help others such as you
    aided me.

• Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment
    (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything.
    Do you have any points for inexperienced blog writers? I’d definitely
    appreciate it.