Melbourne Home · Chelsea Hing and Nik Epifanidis

Wednesday 7th November 2012

The stunning St. Kilda apartment of interior designer Chelsea Hing, her partner, photographer Nik Epifanidis and baby Louis!  Vintage Gaetano Sciolari 1970’s chandelier, Fat Fat ottoman by Patricia Urquiola for B&B Italia, Strata sofa by King Furniture, Navy chevron throw by Jonathan Adler, Vitsoe shelving by Dieter Rams, Untitled photographs on wall by Nik Epifanidis.  Photo – Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Kitchen details.  Panthella table lamp by Verner Panton, Chef portrait on wall – ‘Le Chef De L’Hotel Chatham’ by William Orpen.   Photo - Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Kitchen details.  Panthella table lamp by Verner Panton, Chef portrait on wall – ‘Le Chef De L’Hotel Chatham’ by William Orpen.  ‘The Chef is one of my favourite pieces in our home. He has a great presence in the kitchen & is one of the first things we see as we come in the door. Seeing him makes me happy’ says Chelsea.  Photo – Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

You can always count on an interior designer to have a seriously stylish home.  In this case, the odds are doubled, as there are two talented creatives living under this roof, designer Chelsea Hing (who we have interviewed here) and her husband, photographer Nik Epifanidis (and their baby, Louis!).

Chelsea and Nik’s home is one of a group of very special apartments housed within an incredible Victorian mansion in St. Kilda.  Having noticed an impending subdivision / development in the works, Nik and Chelsea had been eyeing off the mansion site for a while, eagerly waiting for the apartments to come onto the market. When they finally did, around two years ago, Chelsea and Nik picked their favourite apartment – and sadly, lost out to a Dutch auction (a high-stakes auction where each bidder gets one chance to write down what they are prepared to pay – the highest price wins! Agh – nervewracking!).

Dejected, they sat in the carpark with the sun going down, trying to talk themselves into what Chelsea calls ‘the runt of the litter’ – a one bedroom + study, down the side of the building that nobody seemed to want. ‘Strange, it was the biggest apartment, but had a disastrous floorplan with a bathroom in the best room in the house, and a long skinny corridor with a window at one end they were calling a ‘study’ recalls Chelsea.  She thought, if she were able to re-plan this apartment into a 2 bedder, it could work.  ‘We did, and we bought it that night!’ she says.

Within a week, Chelsea had drawn up plans to flip the bathroom into the corridor space, shift the master bedroom into the bathroom, and carve out a small kids bedroom. ‘We could hardly believe it but the original plans (and they’d already started building them!) retained a separate kitchen, with living connected by the old servery window – unbelievable in a small apartment.  We ripped that out, and opened up the main space to create a combined kitchen, dining and living room’ explains Chelsea.  Chelsea also salvaged the original fireplace from the builder’s demolition plans – it now subtly divides the kitchen and living spaces.  Victorian cornicing was also reinstated throughout, as it had unfortunately been ripped out by the builders by the time Chelsea got her hands on the place!

Whilst the ‘bones’ of this apartment – it’s grand proportions and clever layout – are it’s best assets, what is most striking as soon as you walk through the door are the incredible deep colours that Chelsea has used on the walls and throughout this home.  As it happens, when they first moved in, Chelsea and Nik had the space painted white, but after settling in and living with the vast proportions of this space, Chelsea had a niggling urge to ‘go dark’. ‘Once we bravely painted the apartment in a dark colour, the transformation was monumental, and this is now our favourite thing’ says Chelsea. ‘The way the light changes the colour during the day is fabulous’.

For more info about this project and many of Chelsea’s other design projects, head over to the Chelsea Hing Design Studio blog!  I must also say an immense thanks to Nik Epifanidis for shooting his own home with me, especially for a TDF feature!  Unheard of!  Very appreciative Nik :)

Kitchen.  714 Table by Theodore Waddell for Cassina, Chair 172 by Takahashi Asako from Feelgood Designs.  Photo – Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

This dresser sits immediately inside the front door, thus serves as an uber stylish ‘dumping’ station for keys and other nik naks! Vanity by Frank Cadogan Cowper, Altered antique plates sourced from Beat Up Creations via Etsy & Third Drawer Down, Ventana mirror in by Jonathan Adler, Joker bowl in gold by B&B Italia, Bespoke console custom designed by CHDC, Rosy Angelis floor lamp by Flos.  Photo – Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Kitchen / loungeroom details.  Left – Altered antique plates sourced from Beat Up Creations via Etsy & Third Drawer Down.  Right – Williamsburg vase by Jonathan Adler, Rimini Blu Sun by Bitossi, Banana bud vase in gold by Jonathan Adler.  Photo – Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Mantle details.  Vintage Greek bust, Anglepoise 1227 lamp, Seletti skull.  Photo – Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Master Bedroom. Leila high back bed by Jardan, Glas table lamp by Diesel for Foscarini, assorted cushions by CHDC including Dhurrie made into cushions sourced from Tigger Hall Design, Castle & Things pink velvet penny round cushion, bedlinen by Aura, sheets & pillowcases by Altamira. Feathered Juju above bed sourced through Etsy.  Photo – Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Master Bedroom details. Leila high back bed by Jardan, Glas table lamp by Diesel for Foscarini, assorted cushions by CHDC including Dhurrie made into cushions sourced from Tigger Hall Design, Castle & Things pink velvet penny round cushion, bedlinen by Aura, sheets & pillowcases by Altamira. Feathered Juju above bed sourced through Etsy.  Photo - Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Bedroom detail – Chelsea’s accessories hang on the bedroom wall.  Photo - Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Louis’ bedroom.  Sunburst clock by George Nelson for Vitra, Framed vintage Jimmy Hendrix poster, Bottom right: Two Boys With Their Toys 1999 by Tytherleigh, Top right: Fly High by Letitia Buchan.  Photo – Nik Epifanidis, Styling – Chelsea Hing, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Wednesday 7th November 2012

• librarygirl 2 years ago

Looks like a grand apartment in the centre of Paris. Fabulous colours and detail.

• Emma 2 years ago

What a stunning home, and in my favourite suburb of Melbourne too! I’d like to move in immediately. :)

• Kathryn Cumming 2 years ago

beautiful.
    What colour/brand of paint are the walls?

• Nicole 2 years ago

What a stylish apartment. Love her colour scheme used throughout the apartment. absolutely gorgeous:)

• Melissa 2 years ago

Wow love this place. Those deep wall colours are gorgeous. And that light fitting is stunning.

• megan 2 years ago

Oh the kitchen set up!! so beautiful! so beautiful!

• Barbara Fisher 2 years ago

Love the dark colours! So much more interesting that white. Amazing job Chelsea.

• Amber 2 years ago

So beautiful! I would also love to know the colour of the grey walls!

• Chelsea Hing 2 years ago

Hi Guys, Lucy did warn me you would all be asking about the colour. Here’s my blog post about the before & after shots as well as the colour names, brand & paint I used.

• Sangi 2 years ago

Such a brilliant apartment – love dark/navy colours, they’ve done such a brilliant job! :) absolutely love this place!

• Lil 2 years ago

Love it. What is the splash back in the kitchen. Is it antiqued mirror? I am looking for someone who does this effect…………any ideas??

• The most glamorous dumping station/transit area I’ve seen! Love the plates & Ventana mirror on the wall:)

• Chelsea Hing 2 years ago

Hi Lil no the splashback is natural marble stone. A specialist glazier should be able to age a mirror for you. Sorry I can’t give you mine I’m sworn to secrecy.

• Ray 2 years ago

oh Wow, beautiful. Love the colour scheme, very relaxing and calming….and such a change from WHITE….Great kitchen, although the way I cook the painting would need to go into the dishwasher to be cleaned every day :)

• Mel@GatherKids 2 years ago

So. Damn. Flippn. Gorgeous! Love it Chelsea x

• Lulu 2 years ago

Such a nice change to the usual white palette. Adventurous and refreshing.

• letitia 2 years ago

Hi Chelsea! Amazing, deep, beautiful colours and pieces throughout your beautiful home. I am also SO thrilled to see you have the Swan print! It looks so striking in Louis’ bedroom, and just made my day :) x

• Kajsa 2 years ago

What a beautiful and tasteful home. I adore the colourchoises, the details… All of it! Brave and fantastic!

• midnightvisitor 2 years ago

Love the wall colour. The kitchen is so stylish. Great work and everything is fantastic. Love.

• Ben 2 years ago

Beautiful work Chelsea & Nik. Very chic, very Parisian. Love everything about it.

• Yael 2 years ago

Stylish and Bold.
    Love the Mood,,,, it’s rich and tastefully put together. I heart this space.

• NIC 2 years ago

A truly original and gorgeous home. The dark walls through out are stunning! I love your chef – may I ask Chelsea if you bought that painting framed or, if not, where did you get the frame?

• Mo 2 years ago

There are some very interesting images which consist of nice home accessories.
    I am a fan of this site as it does show a decent variety of items. thumbs up folks. I
    would like to introduce my own site to those who are after homeware accessories and
    soon will have furniture. The site address is http://www.rainbowtrunk.com. :)

• Mister B 2 years ago

Superb!

• Tina 2 years ago

Absolutely stunning!! Definitely one of my favourite homes. I love the darkness of it. Can I ask what paint colour was used? Also how high the ceilings are? Thank you for sharing, wish there were more photos attached!!!!

• Emma 2 years ago

wow that place is wonderfully intense!

• Amelia 2 years ago

I want that crib. Does anyone know who it’s by and where I can get one from?

• Suze 2 years ago

Amelia, The cot looks like it’s from Stokke

• Jennifer 2 years ago

Where did they find that fabulous crib???

• Raymond Chow 2 years ago

Hi Lucy,

This is Raymond again. I am also interested in publishing this post in our magazine as well. I wish to get connected with you soon. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Raymond

• Cyber Cafe Software 2 years ago

I much like the worthwhile info you offer inside of your content.I will bookmark your blog website and test again here recurrently.I am particularly sure I will learn quite a lot of latest things perfect here! Great luck for your subsequent!

• I similar to the priceless details you give you inside of your content pieces.I’ll bookmark your blogging site and investigate again right here consistently.I’m particularly definitely sure I’ll learn quite a bit of new things best right here! Superior luck with the subsequent!

• Chelsea Hing 11 months ago

Just letting everyone know that we recently launched our new website with loads of our latest projects, case studies & image galleries. So pop over, have a look & subscribe to our little blog too if you like. http://www.chelseahing.com.au