Sydney Home · Gemma Cagnacci and Andrew Meehan

Wednesday 10th October 2012

The Sydney apartment of Gemma Cagnacci and Andrew Meehan.  Kilim bought in Turkey, clock from Boxx, wooden statue bought in Indonesia, painting by Max Berry, painting by Gemma, etching by Gemma during university years, triangle piece by Me and Amber, antique Chinese box bought in Beijing.  Photo - Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Mantlepiece details – etching by Gemma during her university years, triangle piece by Me and Amber, antique Chinese box bought in Beijing.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

‘Gallery Wall’ in the dining room, featuring old photos taken by Gemma’s grandfather, basket woven by the Tjanpi Desert Weavers, Nubian masks bought in southern Egypt, wall hanging bought in Uzbekistan, print by Adam Hancher, antique textile bought in Uzbekistan. Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, production – Lucy Feagins.

This super sweet Surry Hills lovenest belongs to textile designer Gemma Cagnacci and her partner Andrew Meehan, an architect.  Loyal readers will know Gemma because she is the very clever lass behind the Line x Shape x Colour blog – which I LOVE!  I became hooked on Gemma’s site last year when she and Andrew documented their epic four month journey through the Middle East and Central Asia.  Gemma’s photos of the trip were truly incredible, and we were lucky to have her contribute a little Guest Blog for us on her return!

Since then I’ve had the great pleasure of meeting both Gemma and Andrew in person, and it’s been so lovely getting to know this creative couple, after following their travel adventures on Gemma’s blog for so long.

Having returned from their amazing journey last year, this sweet pad has been home to Gemma and Andrew for only a short time, but it hasn’t taken them long to put their personal stamp on the place.  Inevitably the home is filled with souvenirs and stunning textiles from their travels – Gemma is an expert shopper and can negotiate international shipping rates in any continent!

As you’ve probably guessed Gemma and Andrew’s home is another excellent example of how simple, inexpensive styling can be done in a rented space to maximum effect.  The lightweight, eclectic trinkets displayed ‘gallery style’ on the dining room wall, and the layers of framed artwork and collectables displayed on every surface really personalise the space without the need for permanent fixtures.

‘We were very fortunate that the apartment was very much a blank canvas before we moved in, and have been able to make it our own’ says Gemma, who says she and Andrew made a ‘non-negotiable list’ of pre-requisites when looking for their new place. (White walls, floorboards and lots of natural light!).  Gemma’s top tip for personalising a rental? ‘Those 3M command hook things are amazing – we have put them to great use!’ she says!

When asked for their favourite pieces here, Gemma lists the two rugs pictured in these shots, both of which she found in Turkey.  ‘A carpet was the one thing I insisted we must buy while on our trip – we ended coming home with four!’ she says.  ‘I like to swap them around as it instantly freshens up a room’.  Andrew sweetly says he loves all of Gemma’s artworks and creative projects displayed around the home – ‘we like changing things around a lot and not having things too static – things left in the same place too long seem to become invisible’ he says.

One thing both Gemma and Andrew agree on is how lucky they are to have found an apartment in this perfect location.  Their apartment is tucked down a quite sidestreet, right in the heart of Surry Hills, a stone’s throw from a bazillion local shops and cafes (hello Bourke st Bakery!).

Massive thanks to Gemma and Andrew for sharing their home with us today… incredibly, I also roped Gemma into working with me and taking all the photos you see here!?  Outrageous.  Thankyou Gemma!  You are a superstar!

Hallway details.  Kurdish woollen carpet bought in Turkey, frame on left is an old photo taken by Gemma’s grandfather in Afghanistan, collage of bits and pieces collected in Lebanon by Gemma, vintage super 8 projector.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Living room essentials!  One of Andrew’s boards – a classic twin fin.   Handpainted concrete planter painted by Gemma.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Living room reverse.  Oil burner by Page Thirty Three, an old travel map of Greece framed, black and white doodle by Gemma, portrait of Hmong woman bought in Vietnam, another old travel map of Spain framed. Kilim bought in Turkey.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Main bedroom – suzani bought in Uzbekistan, felt necklace bought in Krygyzstan, artwork on dresser by Andrew.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Main bedroom – handcrafted bed made by a friend, screen printed music poster by Methane Studios, blue dish by Dinosaur Designs.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

The sunny spot!  Old chair from Canada – a gift to Gemma’s mum from one of her friends (‘on loan to me!’ says Gemma). Little woven vessel bought in Egypt, and Taj the cat!  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

‘Gallery Wall’ in the dining room, featuring old photos taken by Gemma’s grandfather, basket woven by the Tjanpi Desert Weavers, Nubian masks bought in southern Egypt, wall hanging bought in Uzbekistan, print by Adam Hancher, antique textile bought in Uzbekistan. Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, production – Lucy Feagins.

Sunny dining room!  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, production – Lucy Feagins.

Dining details – Tonfisk tea set on top shelf from Funkis, old Chinese tin bought in China, lemon cup found at a flea market.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, production – Lucy Feagins.

Dining room looking into sweet mini Euro-style kitchen!  Yellow and black ceramic dish found at a second hand shop,  hand painted poster bought in Vietnam.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Sweet details on the sunny dining room shelf.  Photo – Gemma Cagnacci.

Wednesday 10th October 2012

• Mel 2 years ago

Beautiful apartment. I’m so happy you featured this as I loved Gemma’s travel blog. All the travel purchases look perfect in this lovely place. Where is the furniture (wooden cabinets) from?

• feyza 2 years ago

I love Gemma’s blog and her photos of her travels are amazing. Great feature!

• Kate Paillat 2 years ago

Love all the mid century cabinets and ethnic eclectic details. Just superb!

• Penelope 2 years ago

Loving that gallery wall, perfection!

• Kath W 2 years ago

Superb simplicity. Is that exposed wall above mantle? So clever.

• Kirsty // OTIS & OTTO 2 years ago

LOVE this place!

• Clare 2 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful textiles and handicrafts. And though I know it’s a really common thing to do, for some reason I’d just never thought of hanging plates/ baskets on the wall before. Given me some ideas…

• Kate 2 years ago

It’s great seeing rentals here, especially when they are this lovely and creative!

• Reginald 2 years ago

Great taste and décor Gemms. Can see your artistic talents all over the place. Both Amir and me loved it.

• Shaz Jones 2 years ago

Taj is a star!
    Love the way Gemma has made room for her Grandfather’s heritage, travel treasures and her husband’s hobbies – all wrapped up in her own special style – gorgeous!

• Yasmin 2 years ago

I think I want to live there…

• Ben Wealleans 2 years ago

Thanks for the credit…

• Emma 2 years ago

You never cease to amaze!

• gemma 2 years ago

Thank you everyone!

Mel – we bought the sideboard and cocktail cabinet from Jospehs in Mona Vale, on the northern beaches and the drawers are from Grandfathers Axe in Alexandria.

Kath W – yep it is exposed, but with a light varnish. The place came with it already done – very clever.

• Amanda Joyce 2 years ago

Love the photos! Love visiting too!

• ejorpin 2 years ago

I’ve been following Gemma on Instagram for a little while now and I’m always blown away by her simple, beautiful images. Good to see her house is similarly amazing! Love the carpets, the plants, the orange glass; so many little personal touches everywhere…

• Margie 2 years ago

Yes that exposed wall caught my eye too! As did the Fiddle leaf fig!! I’ve been looking for one for ages! Nice job Gemma and Andrew!

• Kate 2 years ago

Hi Gemma, gorgeous apartment! Where did you find the trestle table?

• gemma 2 years ago

hi Kate, thanks so much! the trestles are from Ikea – painted black – and the table top was made from recycled oregon by a good friend of ours (but who isn’t really making much anymore unfortunately). hope that helps :)

• Katrina 2 years ago

I absolutely adore this home, stunning! I adore the rugs! Where are the black industrial type shelves in the kitchen from?

• Jill 2 years ago

Hi Gemma and Andrew – David and I are so impressed with your decor – it looks great

• Ariel 2 years ago

So glad I came across your site. I’m in the middle of redecorating my living room, and your gallery wall just gave me a great idea. I’m using Simply Decorate as my Online Interior Design Service to help me coordinate all of my ideas so that everything comes out just perfect. Even though I work for them, I can honestly say i get the best feedback from them, plus lots of tips on how to balance everything out.

• Julia Manchik 2 years ago

I adore Gemma and Andrew and am so happy to have a peek inside their home! This is so exotic and beautiful. I’m amazed that so many pieces from around the world can look so good together without looking the least bit cluttered. Nice job shopping around the world, Gem. ;)

• dentist india 2 years ago

I similar to the useful facts you provide inside your articles.I will bookmark your weblog and investigate yet again here consistently.I’m extremely certainly I will study lots of new things perfect here! Really good luck to the following!

• sex sponsor 2 years ago

I just like the beneficial details you supply in your article content.I will bookmark your web site and investigate all over again listed here recurrently.I’m extremely positive I will know a great deal of latest things correct listed here! Excellent luck for that future!

• Wall Masks 1 year ago

Hi,

We know that Wall Masks is essential media for the entertainment of the mask lover people.so if you want the Wall Masks
    for you please visit here.here are the Wall Masks in the world and this Wall Masks are looking very nice.

• Laura 1 year ago

I absolutely love your bed frame, if your friend is still interested in making them I would love to get in contact with him/her. Thanks x