Sydney Home · Sophie Tatlow and Bruce Slorach

Wednesday 5th September 2012

The Paddington home of Sophie Tatlow and Bruce Slorach of Deuce Design.  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Quirky collectables in the home of Sophie Tatlow and Bruce Slorach.  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Living room.  Sophie’s fave ‘Parentheses’ light, designed by Achille Castiglioni in the 1970’s hangs in the far corner.  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Living room.  Sophie’s ‘Parentheses’ light, designed by Achille Castiglioni hangs in the corner.  Bruce’s vintage glass collection is proudly displayed throughout.  Marimekko cushion.  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

When we shot this fabulous family home in Sydney’s Paddington a few months back, I actually knew very little about its occupants, Sophie Tatlow and Bruce Slorach, who run a brilliant little design studio in Surry Hills called Deuce Design.  In the weeks that have passed since they kindly let a random stranger in to photograph their home (thanks guys!) Sophie and I have become good pals… she is an absolute GEM and has sent me many story leads, tip-offs and advice!  She’s ex Melbourne but has lived in Sydney for many years, and is one of those amazing, energetic people who just seems to be everywhere at once.  If ANYONE is doing ANYTHING cool in Sydney, Sophie knows!  It’s lovely now to write this story knowing a little more about the clever creatives who live here!

Sophie and Bruce live in this light-filled Paddington home with their son Henri (10).  When they first got their hands on the place eight years ago, Sophie says the house had a ‘beige vibe’ – a little like walking into an episode of the Brady Bunch!  ‘The original fitout included splattered brick, cream flecked carpet, brown curtains, buckled laminex, and too many internal walls – you get the picture’ says Sophie. At the time, it looked like an authentic terrace but in actual fact it was a ‘faux’ mid-seventies version, designed to fit into the Victorian streetscape.

Not long after moving in, Bruce approached architect Peter McGregor, working closely with him to re-design the home and make a dramatic metamorphosis. Internal walls were pulled down, the balconies at the back of the house were transformed to increase the bedrooms and top floor study, and the entire rear wall was knocked out to allow Sydney’s beautiful sunshine to stream in to the split-level living spaces.

Whilst they do love the odd graphic print and quirky souvenir collected on their travels, I get the impression Sophie and Bruce are design purists at heart!  They’re passionate about mid century design, and have an impressive collection of classic modernist furniture and lighting.

‘As far as favourites go, I like the dining room table’ Sophie says (its the Joyn table by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec for Vitra). ‘It seats 8 people and we’ve had some good dinners around it.  The table has a long story behind it, too long to tell, but let’s just say it was hard fought for and nearly didn’t make it…’

Other favourite finds include Sophie’s treasured Parentheses light (designed by Achille Castiglioni in the 70’s). ‘It has a counter weight, and the steel tube allows you to move it it up and down. Brilliant idea!’ she says.

Whilst she still has great affection for her home town, Sophie has definitely been seduced by Sydney, after many years living in the sparkly city!  ‘Everyone says the says the best things about Sydney are the beaches and the weather’ Sophie says. ‘As a former Melbournite, going to the beach isn’t a top priority, but I still like the idea that you can get to a beach in under 20 minutes when you need space, air, light.  There’s no denying the therapeutic quality of the Sydney climate. I like the warm balmy nights, the frangipani in the air and the crazy Sydney speed (most of the time). I love the rows of terraces and the way people have customised their homes with personality and style – coloured doors, custom iron lace, all the quirky bits and even the shoddy renovations. I also love the mad torrential storms and lightning!’

In between running their much respected design studio in Surry Hills, this year Sophie and Bruce have also been busy with a special personal project.  This November they’re launching Utopia Goods, a unique range of homewares with a crafted, quirky edge.  With Bruce’s impressive pedigree (he was head designer at Mambo for five years, before setting up Deuce Design) I’d say this new venture is destined for immediate CULT status.  Stay tuned – I’ll be sure to keep you posted!

Dining room.  Eames DCM dining chairs, Joyn table by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec for Vitra. Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Dining room details. Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Dining room looking out to lush courtyard beyond.  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Split level detail – stairs from dining / kitchen downstairs take you to the living room on level one.   Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Lush courtyard garden.  Sophie’s sparkly  bike!  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Guest bedroom.  Sophie loves her collection of patchwork bedspreads – ‘I LOVE stuff crafted by someone else. I took up needlepoint last year and I know that anyone who can sew is a genius of patience and heart. It takes forever…!’ she says. Photos – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Guest room details, more from Bruce’s vintage glass collection.  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Henri’s bedroom.  COOLEST 1o year old boy’s bedroom ever. Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Henry’s shoes – a small selection!  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Sophie’s libray, top floor office.  Photos - Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Wednesday 5th September 2012

• Kath W 2 years ago

Great use of colour and light, and very cute objects. The courtyard garden looks wonderful.

• Two Ducks Swimming 2 years ago

Love that patchwork Quilt!! The colours work well together.

• love all the bookshelves around their house. and the stairs. and the courtyard. amazing light *swoon*

• Lucie 2 years ago

Colourful and inspirational. I love the green of the plants coming through from the courtyard.

• Emma 2 years ago

beautiful – a fantastic family home, love the colour and light….

• Gillian Hayes 2 years ago

Your old Aunt thinks it is georgous – the positioning and colours of everything so inspiring

• The Cereal Diner 2 years ago

This home is perfectly colourful, perfectly homey and just gosh dang perfect in all aspects! I NEED that cacti! Thank you for sharing your home Sophie and Bruce and Henri!

• Mike 2 years ago

Love your Mexican stuff very cool.

• Sophie Lord 2 years ago

love the south and central american artefacts scattered through out!

• Jacquette 2 years ago

Brilliant colour and patterning throughout the house …. can hardly wait to see the Utopia Goods!

• Jacq Moore 2 years ago

A million years ago, when at uni, I bought many items of clothing designed by Sarah Thorne and Bruce Slorach – seeing some of the images in this post, I am sure the Bruce Slorach must be one and the same! Groovy then, groovy now! I still have the clothes – fluoro, extraordinary patterns – amazing!

• Bianca 2 years ago

what a gorgeous space! love the light and colour – an antidote to the SANAAfication of designed interiors!

• Fi 2 years ago

This home is a true reflection of it’s owners…. intelligent, diverse and extremely creative! Utopia Goods, here I come!!

• Margie 2 years ago

My two fave parts are that gorgeous orange door, and the crocheted figure next to the amber glass collection… Wow.

• Robot 2 years ago

OMG! I sometimes see in the window of this house and wonder what extraordinary world lies beyond its orange door.
    Wow, what a sublime collection of things. I love it.
    These guys are real style captains.
    I live in Sydney – Where can i buy Utopia Goods?

• Ali 2 years ago

Looks sensational Soph!

• Oh wow! There are just so many things that caught my eye: the colourful glass bottles on the bookshelf, the gorgeous dark flooring in the living room and those beautiful rugs! I also fell in love with the courtyard and the stairs! Beautiful home!

• Lakshmi 2 years ago

Alright..now I’ m honestly intrigued as to how you find such great houses. For me a great house tour is one that has a personality and leaves readers with “wow! that’s a great idea that I can try out at my home too.” And this house has many such wow moments like the book shelving idea, courtyard garden and pops of color thr bottles and art work against the white backdrop.

• Alex Chamberlain 2 years ago

That embroidery hoop reminded me a bit of the Galaxy (Chapel St) designs from the late 80s. Wonderful use of colour!

• shelley t 2 years ago

completely, totally, utterly in love. me & the little blokes could move in here in a heartbeat. i smiled at every image, a sense of humour with style, my kinda home. thanks luscious, loved it. x

• Robin Barker 2 years ago

Sophie and Bruce sing their own tune
    Henri hums along
    in their beautiful home of light-filled rooms
    distinctly colourful, quirky and
    original
    not a cliche in sight
    xx

• Helen Morison 2 years ago

Cant quite think whether it was the holmesgaard glassware or the bike which gave it away. Your families, I’m sure are very proud of your achievements and loyalty to design. Keep up the good work, and good luck with your new brand, soon to be launched.

• Helen Mackarness 2 years ago

Sophie and Bruce, such fascinating and beautiful artwork and sculptures. Love your use of such bold colours. The whole house is stunning.

• Emma 2 years ago

Clever Duo
    U Two-o
    + Henri-o
    Clever Duo
    Ooops…
    Clever three-o!

Love it!

• Anna 2 years ago

Wowza! Really love this home. Does anyone know where the pendant above the dining table is from. I need that!

• Lisa Ellis 2 years ago

Hi Bruce and Sophie
    Lesley would be very proud of you! I just love your home. Can I also say that I could easily take your glass bottle collection off your hands? The courtyard looks like a real treat as well- the mix of pots and textural foliage is fabulous. Best regards- Lisa (daughter of John & Libby in Hamilton).

• Kati Westlake 2 years ago

A great collaboration. Bruce and Peter morphed this tiny terrace into a beautiful place for living working and family life. Sophie’s overlay of colours and plants brings the jewel box to life. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

• Amy 2 years ago

LOVE the geisha inspired look – HOT!

• jumbo 2 years ago

really digging the bright colours on the walls

• Greg 2 years ago

Cool house, love the Chicago Hair poster on the wall! Like others have said, so many items that are new to me and inspiring instead of the generic showhomes that feature in magazines.