Winter Week 2012 giveaway!
Ok so as it happens, this week I’m in Queensland. Therefore is seems a little odd to be launching WINTER WEEK when in fact I’m currently hanging out in balmy T-shirt wearing temperatures. HOWEVER I am, of course, very aware that if you’re in Melbourne, Sydney or Tassie right now, things are getting pretty chilly. Heaters are on, hotties are out, brollies are at the ready (actually, brollies are very much in action in Brissy this week too, but I wouldn’t exactly call it ‘wintery’).
LAST winter, we spent a whole week looking at beautiful cosy things like doonas and blankets and stockings and umbrellas, and this year we figured we should continue this seasonal tradition! We’re kicking things off today with a fabulous winter giveaway, showcasing 12 of the prettiest finds to brighten these endless grey days. I really felt an urge to keep this giveaway warm and toasty in more ways than one – the buzzing sunny colour scheme is the perfect pick-me-up at this time of year, don’t you think?
Many of the pieces we’ve rounded up are locally designed and/or made, but a few fabulous international finds made it into the mix because a) we fell in love with them and b) we love to support independent local retailers, no matter what design goodness they are selling! Hence the addition of a few design classics such as the very gorgeous Marimekko Unikko teapot, and the cult-status All Knitwear beanie from fab Melbourne store Dagmar Rousset!
The full Winter Week Giveaway line-up :
1. UIMI Indiana woollen throw in Jade. Uimi is an ACE local label specialising in eco-friendly knitwear, made in Melbourne from natural fibres, including extra fine merino wool and certified organic cotton… we love their things!
2. ALL Knitwear beanie from Dagmar Rousset (rrp $75). I have a little soft spot for the hypercolour madness of Fitzroy store Dagmar Rousset, and I must say when it comes to WINTERY goodness they have got it totally covered! From All Knitwear clothes and accessories, to a seriously epic range of socks and stockings, Dagmar is your one stop shop for a very vibrant winter!
3. Marimekko Teapot (rrp – $139). Who doesn’t love a beautiful teapot? This one by Marimekko is a modern classic… available in Melbourne at Safari Living and Space, Sydney at Funkis or Space, Brisbane at The Modern Furniture Store, Adelaide at Outdoors on Parade and more stockists listed here.
4. Gina and May Carousel Umbrella (rrp – $49.95). Sydney start-up Gina and May just go from strength to strength with each season… I love all their umbrella designs – it’s impossible to choose just one favourite! Luckily Melbourne provides ample opportunity to show off these brilliant brollies.
5. Emily Green and Lucy Hall Knitted Scarf (rrp – $160) – Um YES. I snuck this in here to see if you were paying ATTENTION. Newsflash! – Emily Green launches amazing new knitted scarf collection in collab with emerging local textile designer Lucy Hall. MORE ON THIS TOMORROW people, hold on to your hats!
6. Penelope Durston Mohair Hot Watter Bottle (rrp somewhere in the vicinity of $55 I wish I could remember exactly). I bought one of these beauties at the Finders Keepers in Melbourne a few weeks back and it is SO SO soft and delicious. Then Pene sweetly made a TDF yellow version for our winter giveaway!
7. ’Easterly’ Scottish wool throw by UK textile designer Eleanor Pritchard (rrp – $340), from Melbourne retailer Quince. Quince has recently secured the Australian distribution for these exquisite woollen blankets and throws… such amazing woven pattens and colours, they really must be seen and felt to be truly appreciated! Melbourne folk can pop into Quince in Malvern East for a squizz at the full range.
8. Wet & Wendy Mini Cape (rrp – $49.95). In was, in fact, the very stylish Sophie Gannon who enthusiastically showed off her Wet & Wendy mini cape when we were shooting her home a few weeks back. I was overcome with the sweet simplicity of this idea – a teeny cape, just big enough to protect your head and shoulders from the rain, and compact enough to roll up and pop in your handbag so you’re always prepared for a downpour!
9. Hermon & Hermon Slippers (rrp – $29.50) These sweet felted slippers from Hermon & Hermon are made in Tibet and come in a wide range of cheerful colours.
11. Gascoigne & King Aria and Belle Candles (two candles, rrp – $55 each). I had the great pleasure of meeting Sydney candle maker Bronwyn Gascoigne of Gascoigne & King recently and learning a little more about her amazing candles. Despite the huge popularity of her candles she still makes them all at her dining room table – for now! You’ll learn a little more about Gascoigne & King later in the week!
12. Hobes new ‘Wooly’ lambswool fleece-lined shoes, in colour ‘stone’ (rrp – $179). The Wooly Hobe is kind of like an ‘anti ugg’ – a modern take on a well loved classic sheepskin-lined boot that’s chic but super cosy. The perfect winter weekend shoe.
To be in the running to win one of the twelve lovely items listed above, simply leave your comment on this post before 10.00pm, today Monday June 4th. Twelve winners will be drawn at random and contacted via email tomorrow!
Massive thanks to all the ace local designers, makers and retailers for their generous contributions to this giveaway! Do share the love with a little visit to their respective websites, if you have a moment!