Shopping

Sock Style

Thursday 7th June 2012

MENS SOCKS, left to right from top : Vanishing Elephant Periwinkle socks – $15, Happy Socks crisscross socks – $17 from Five Boroughs and Vanishing Elephant fair isle socks – $15. Photography by Sean Fennessy, styling by Sonia Rentsch for The Design Files.

MEN SOCKS, from top to bottom : Happy Socks red colourway pattern – $17 from Five Boroughs, Happy Socks large polka dot print $17 from Five Boroughs, Country Road Focus Crew socks $12.95 and Country Road Fair Isle Crew socks $12.95.  Photography by Sean Fennessy, styling by Sonia Rentsch for The Design Files.

SO I don’t know about you guys, but the clothing item I most struggle with when the temperature drops is footwear.  Feet are delicate things, it’s hard to keep ‘em looking smart and feeling toasty all at once.

With this in mind, rather than rounding up the more obvious essentials such as scarves, hats or gloves this week, we’ve pulled together a round up of the sweetest socks (and, ah, one pair of stockings!) to keep your toes colourfully cosy this winter.  Once we started hunting we were amazed to uncover so many surprisingly eye-catching options!  And I’m happy to say for once it’s not all about the ladies around here… we spotted some excellent picks for the fellas too.

MASSIVE enormous thanks to supremely talented still life stylist Sonia Rentsch, who collaborated with photographer Sean Fennessy to create these beautiful shots for your viewing pleasure!  Original product photography gets me rather excited I must say. Especially when it looks this fab!

Boys picks up top, girls options below!

GIRLS SOCKS + STOCKINGS, from top to bottom : Celeste Stein giraffe socks – $14 from FAT, Celeste Stein paradise socks – $14 from FAT, Britta Knüppel paint splatter socks – $25 from Dagmar Rousset and Strathcona rainbow ombre stockings – $38 from Dagmar Rousset. Photography by Sean Fennessy, styling by Sonia Rentsch for The Design Files.

GIRLS SOCKS – clockwise from top : Happy Socks zebra print – $17 from Five Boroughs, Ayame patterned socks – $38 from Dagmar Rousset, Happy Socks mismatch print – $17 from Five Boroughs, Lisa B. cashmere / angora wool blend socks – $30 from Cottage Industry and Ayame block coloured socks – $38 from Dagmar Rousset. Photography by Sean Fennessy, styling by Sonia Rentsch for The Design Files.

Thursday 7th June 2012

• carly 2 years ago

The men’s socks all seem pretty girly to me, I would wear a pair of them anyday. I have a size 40 foot so usually wear mens anyway. Here’s to the unisex socks of the world! And to great colours!

• Heather Nette King 2 years ago

Gorgeous styling!

• Camilla 2 years ago

I like the men’s ones too! Better prices too!

• Lee 2 years ago

This is a fabulous theme for today – I love it!

• Darelle 2 years ago

I love Mens’ socks! I still knick my Dad’s.

• Jacqueline 2 years ago

This is such a cute & fantastic post! Perfect for the weather now too! :D

• Larnie 2 years ago

When I think of an article/post about socks, I would imagine scraping the bottom of the barrel but these designs are amazing. Gorgeous colours and great ideas. I can’t wait for the cold. I’ll be so prepared.

• LizzieBee 2 years ago

I have SO MANY SOCKS. I never used to: I used to live in Perth. It’s almost sandal-weather all year round in Perth. When I moved to Melbourne, I remember thinking “Wow, I have NO SOCKS” and I I didn’t. The first thing I did when I moved to Melbourne was go and buy socks, and then a pair of closed-in Crocs! I now have a bazillion pairs of socks, and my feet are like my hands: constantly cold in winter! I have been wearing two pairs to work (my desk seems to prevent the warmth from the heating vents from circulating!). I have trouser socks, ankle socks, knee high socks, explorer socks, “circulation” socks (my favourite! extra fuzzy bits around your feet!).

• Erin S. 2 years ago

the images themselves are so freakin cool, love that it’s actually just socks! my fav. are the bright red polka dot ones (need some color inspiration for a cross stitch project that includes polka dots…)

• Liz 2 years ago

Just left the mall in despair at the ugly socks for my gals that I was not only expected to spend money on …. but for them to wear!

• Melissa 2 years ago

Great pics. Particularly love the red spots! Happy socks are bringing out a kids range shortly. Awesome unisex colours available. We will get them in store soon hopefully….

• Ipomen Scarlet 2 years ago

Oh the joy of sox!

Sorry: couldn’t help myself. I’m in love with the socks in the 3rd picture. So, so pretty.

• Thea 2 years ago

These make me want to dance in just my knickers and socks to bad ’80s music. They’re amazing!

• AMANDA BROWN 2 years ago