Vanessa Steele & Peter Braig

Wednesday 9th May 2012

The beautiful Sydney home of Vanessa Steele and Peter Braig.  Sunroom – patchwork kilim from I & B Perryman Oriental Carpets, Woollahra.  Photo – Felix Forest, Production Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Living room – straw and wool embroidered Moroccan rug, purchased on a recent overseas trip.  Large photographic artwork by Peter Braig.  Photo – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Living room – large photographic artwork by Peter Braig.  Photo – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files

We’re back in Sydney again with today’s seriously lovely Australian Home – although I must say, this one could almost pass for a classic LA apartment, with it’s Spanish Mission styling and those amazing arched windows!  That top image of the sunroom  is such a stunner – totally magazine-cover fabulous (nice work Felix!).   It’s incredible how certain architectural details really give a space the feeling of being somehow so very ‘international’!

The lucky residents of this beautiful two bedroom apartment are Vanessa Steele, who runs her own PR company, and Peter Braig, a photographer (plus Macchiato the cat!).  This creative pair moved to Sydney from Melbourne five years ago, but hunted for three years before finding the perfect pad to call home.  ‘We were looking for something special – it was worth the wait…’ says Vanessa!

One of just a handful of boutique apartments in a building known as ‘La Granada’ in Sydney’s leafy Bellevue Hill neighbourhood, this apartment really does have a special something going on. Tucked at the back of the block on the ground level, and opening out onto a leafy patio, it’s wonderfully private, and with windows on all sides, it feels more like a house than an apartment.  Vanessa puts that down also to the layout of the rooms and shape of the space.  ‘ The square footprint makes it more like a house, and means we use every room’ she says.

Vanessa and Peter have been here just two years.  Since moving in they haven’t needed to do too much – other than polishing the floorboards and painting the walls white throughout. Of course they’ve also pulled together a tight, cohesive edit of furniture, soft furnishings and artworks to enhance the features of the space. I must say they’ve done such a stellar job of styling their home – all the colours and textures are so perfectly balanced, and not a thing out of place!  Vanessa and Peter’s favourite pieces at the moment are their antique Moroccan rugs in the living and dining rooms, found on their most recent overseas trip. Peter is originally from Europe, and the pair love to travel, inevitably collecting things to bring home with every trip!

It’s clear from chatting to Vanessa that she and Peter are still kind of pinching themselves, even two years after securing their beautiful apartment – and after 3 years of looking I would be too!  There is so much to love about the place – Vanessa says favourite elements include the Spanish Mission style of the space, the privacy, and their wonderful leafy outdoor area.  ‘The courtyard is such a great space – excellent for parties, it extends into an outdoor room in the warmer months’ says Vanessa.

Massive thanks to Vanessa and Peter for sharing their beautiful home with us today! Aaaaww Sydney.  You’re so pretty.

Dining Room – view to courtyard.  Photos – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Dining room details.  Artwork top left by Vanessa and Peter’s godson Alessio Jaeggi!   Photos – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Dining room – oil pastel artwork by Newell Harry, straw and wool embroidered Moroccan rug.  Photos – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Dining Room.  Photos – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Details details!  Clockwise from top left – artwork by Anthony Lister, Vitsoe built in shelves, industrial details in the living room and sweet peaches Vanessa kindly fed us during our visit!  Photos – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Living room details – Mark Tuckey bookshelves.  Artwork by Kitty from Melville Island, and Hideyo paper art ball.  Photo – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.

Master bedroom through to ensuite.  Photo – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files

Master bedroom details.  Photo – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files

Master bed – wool rug with pom pom fringe from Morocco.  Photo – Felix Forest, Production – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files

Exterior – rear courtyard.  La Granada alright! Photo – Felix Forest, Product – Lucy Feagins / The Design Files

Wednesday 9th May 2012

• Mary Anne P 3 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the colours, textures and the individuality of the place – a little bit of this and a little bit of that. It all works beautifully.

• Brismod 3 years ago

They have beautiful taste! I love all their rugs. x

• Paula Norman 3 years ago

Spectacular!!!!!!!

• gOLd ChaLK 3 years ago

what a wonderful house – this is one of those houses that you could look at all day and find something new in every pic. Lovely work Lucy – Loved it !

• A lovely apartment in Sydney. Great colourful impact and those doors opening to outside – just gorgeous. I love the globe! It can be anywhere in the world…:)

• Rigbette 3 years ago

I love the warmth of this house, I wondered where the red fabric lampshade is from? its just beautiful.

• marie 3 years ago

Beautiful – and the roses as well – stunning

• julie @ tractorgirl 3 years ago

omigosh, that nook is to die for! I would curl up with a good book and stay there, reading and dreaming…

• Megan 3 years ago

Love the styling xmm

• Wahwah 3 years ago

That’s the look I’m hoping for in our renovation. I love Peter’s photograph, very alluring against a white background and the russet colours of the rug and cushions. Beautiful.

• Jacqui Fink 3 years ago

I love the artwork by Alessio. Very cool. Great house Lucy.

• veggie mama 3 years ago

You know, white terrifies me. It really does. And then I see beautiful airy photos like these and think… I need some beautiful airy spaces. Get thee a window seat, woman! I’ve got to do that xx

• Amberly 3 years ago

What a pretty home! I’m obsessed with that giant green pitcher – must find something similar!

~amberly
    ambsgoodlife.blogspot.com

• catie 3 years ago

So gorgeous, but I just listed my Componibili bedside table on ebay and now I’m regretting it! Love the reading nook with leafy outlook, patchwork kilim, single yellow chair (was that a stylist swap with the one at the desk?) and the beautiful cedar drawers with overblown roses. TDF does it yet again! Thanks for making my inbox happy.

• Lucy 3 years ago

Thanks for the lovely comments guys! I am sure Vanessa will be so thrilled to see all your kind words!

Catie – NOPE that wasn’t a stylist swap promise…! The odd yellow chair was already at the dining table… such a sweet detail! But you know me too well obviously because that would be exactly the kind of thing I would do!

Thanks for all the ace comments guys! x

• Vanessa 3 years ago

Thanks guys; so nice of you to all comment on our apartment! And happy you all like it. Yes Lucy you are right we are thrilled.

Rigbette the lampshade we had made by the boys at Chee Soon & Fitzgerald from a Marimekko fabric.

Amberly the green jug is from Market Imports in Double Bay – they have a store in Armadale in Melbourne too.

• Annie 3 years ago

This is the most amazing pad. I would love to know if these guys used a stylist to pull it all together, or if they know of anyone local they’d like to recommend who has the same style sensibility. x

• Allywan 3 years ago

I am obsessed with that living room photo. it’s beautiful!

• Ann 3 years ago

I just love this home. Love, love, love. Thanks Lucy – again – and Vanessa for inviting us in.

• Sally 3 years ago

Great light and lovely feel.

• Emma 3 years ago

Yes – im in love with ocean photo also! I want it!!

• Kelly Kuretich Sacks 3 years ago

Gorgeous digs, Peter and Vanessa! A far cry from my country home in the orchard in Ashland, Oregon!

• Graig Alquicira 3 years ago

Very good written story. It will be useful to anyone who utilizes it, including yours truly :). Keep up the good work – for sure i will check out more posts.

• 推薦行動電源 1 year ago

Hey, thanks for your blog.Truly searching forward to read more. Want more.

• Lyn 11 months ago

Beautiful home, gorgeous accessories. Was just curious where your kilim cushions came from? Looking for something similar! Look forward to hearing back. Thanks!