Travel

Tiny Mini Leather Lockets by Jen Booth

Monday 16th April 2012

Tiny Mini Leather Lockets by Jen Booth!

Sweet handprinted pouches for the tiny mini Leather Lockets!

Ok so it’s been a while since I’ve had a girl crush.  But I have a new one to share with you! JEN BOOTH. Probably the cutest and friendlist girl in Sydney. (And everyone knows how many cute girls there are in Sydney).

I met Jen Booth at The Standard Store in Surry Hills, which is where she works when she’s not making ace leather lockets and/or hair accessories.  It’s really difficult to truly describe how sweet and gorgeous and funny and excitable Ms Booth is.  Basically, when you meet her it’s like you’ve known her for your whole life already.  You get chatting and then after about 2 minutes you’re genuine besties.  It’s quite amazing.

Jen used to make beautiful leather hair accessories under the name ‘South for the Summer‘ – craft afficionados might recall seeing her sweet headbands at markets and online. Jen’s NEW venture is a label under her own name – and it’s all about TINY MINI LEATHER LOCKETS.  You heard it here first people – a global trend will surely ensue.

There is a particularly sweet story behind these leather lockets, so I thought I would share some of Jen’s own words -

My favourite lyrics by Bonnie Prince Billy are from a song called Three Questions. He basically asks, ‘if I put a rock in a locket, and gave it to you on our wedding day, would you wear it?’ Can you handle the complete romance of those words????

My heart then basically waited years and years until I was standing on a beach at Turtle Bay in Hawaii, (covered in buckets of sunscreen) when my partner gave me a tiny purple heart shaped shell and proposed!

But do you know how hard it is to find a locket big enough but cute enough for a shell?  Tres difficile. So, due to my love for working with leather, I had a lightbulb moment. Tiny mini leather lockets!!

Then I realised everyone has those special things they might want to carry around with them, so I decided to make lots of them!

The best bit for me is hearing what people keep inside. Yesterday a man showed me a tiny photo of his parents who are in Germany and a lady told me she changes her tiny keepsake each day, and today had a trinket her grandfather gave her.

I can’t wait to hear about boys buying them as a gift to propose with, or best friends sharing them with a little treasure inside.  Some Mums wanna put baby teeth inside, but thats a bit Angelina for me.

Give it to someone you love, or put something you love in it!

Jen’s lockets are handcrafted in Sydney in the most delectable range of gelati colours, with a sweet brass press stud and just enough room inside for 1 tiny special secret. (They’re about 3cm wide ish, and they hang on a long long chain).

You can buy them at –

www.jenbooth.com.au
The Standard Store
in Surry Hills, Sydney.

Ohhh I couldn’t help but share this sweet pic of the leather locket in action (plus JEN because she is so cute). This gorgeous snap was taken at Holly Hipwell‘s Flower Bomb making class at Megan Morton’s SCHOOL in Sydney.  Which is going nutso by the way – SO many incredible classes on the timetable!  You must check out the full flower bomb photo gallery… so so good. Man, Sydneysiders are so outrageously goodlooking.

Monday 16th April 2012

• Megan 3 years ago

Oh I have to enthusiastically comment pronto and say how amazing the pocket locket is. I have in the past week worn mine to a very fancy wedding, kindy drop off (kids get all googly eyed at them with their dangleness and colours) as well to work meetings that have been
    a bit on the ‘difficult’ side of things and I have put magic spells in the locker to protect me from evil – which I must say, has been successful! Plus I like the length – anything higher is to matronly I think.

• Mads 3 years ago

Stop showing me amazing things to buy! Stop it now!
    ….these are too gorgeous though and I am sending the shop link to my husband pronto. What a clever girl Jen is…there are so many things I want to put in the locket. I may need more than one :)

• pen 3 years ago

I knew Jen back in her Melbourne days- she’s a doll!
    Loving those lockets!

• Melissa 3 years ago

I have one of these, its the best! So many compliments! Mine is metallic gold & pink flag.
    Agree with Megan about the length, so good.

• Jen 3 years ago

LADIES!!
    So much love for each of you!
    Megan- I need a mood board just with your outfits+locket
    Mads- i hope your husband gives you one and puts a secret inside. or a rock.
    Pen- Hello! I’m coming for Markit! Hope to see you lovely lady!!
    Melissa- You’re ace! I love how you make them all rockabilly!!

• margie 3 years ago

oh! That photo is outrageously cute!

• Nicola Reindorf 3 years ago

Jen came into my life 2 weeks before we opened our store … I think it was a Mary poppins moment , her hair in a top knot the cutest crystal 50’s glasses . I was a little stressed , about to open a store … She said : Nicola I was born for retail. She is I agree a very special girl , and she works magic on us all. I think she has put a little bit of magic in each of her little leather lockets, and I wear mine with a lot of joy!

• Lucy 3 years ago

YES NICOLA! So well said – she is the most perfect girl for your perfect store… A match made in Surry Hills heaven! :)

Love your collective work ladies! x

• Anna in London 3 years ago

Oh these lockets are so so adorable! And yes Jen is absolutely gorgeous!!

• holly 3 years ago

I LOVE JEN BOOTH! and her lockets, and her hair and outfits and everything!!

• Simone Patterson 3 years ago

Loving these lockets, great for keeping little secret treasures and tiny lucky charms in!
    And, hope you don’t mind me saying, but the very beautiful Millie bears quite a resemblance to the striking young actress Saoirse Ronan… :)