Heidi Gill and Family

Wednesday 18th April 2012

The Sydney home of stylist Heidi Gill and family. All photos – Felix Forest, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Beautiful leafy Sydney courtyard garden! All photos – Felix Forest, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Sydney greenery. Love it. All photos – Felix Forest, styling / production – Lucy Feagins.

Can’t you just tell in an instant by the lush green (and very mini) garden that this is a Sydney home!?  It’s all about the FOLIAGE.  A garden overflowing with glossy green foliage is one thing worth moving to Sydney for, I reckon.  You’d have to break all water restriction rules in Melbourne to achieve this level of garden cuteness!

The home, in Sydney’s Woollahra, belongs to illustrator/stylist/merchandiser Heidi Gill, husband James and Jemima (8 yrs old) – they’ve been here almost four years. Aside from the sweet courtyard garden, this supremely pretty little house is such a perfect exercise in efficient city living!   It’s truly tiny – with just two bedrooms a kitchen / living space too small for a dining table – and yet it works so well for this busy family of three, plus Pepper the dog!  Amazing.

After buying the home, Heidi and James renovated the interior, with an emphasis on space efficiency – the result is a multi-use space which conceals clever storage in every nook, leaving just enough room for key furniture items. Bespoke cabinetry streamlines the kitchen / eating zone, and a cantilevered breakfast bench doubles as a dining table / workstation, leaving space for a just a 2 seater couch.  Somehow it all just fits together like Tetris, without an inch to spare!

Despite it’s modest proportions, Heidi’s home has a genuinely relaxed, comfortable feel – which I reckon can be put down in large part to her ‘stylist’s touch’ – a classic, understated and intuitive sense of style. The pared back palette – monochrome, blonde timbers, carerra marble, charcoal and a touch of mauve – gives the home a real sense of calm elegance and restraint.

Heidi says she loves her ‘postcard sized garden’ the most, as well as her pretty bedroom with its generous bay window.  As for the local area – the greatest drawcard for Heidi’s family is the proximitiy to Centennial park, and ‘Plane Trees, Plane Trees, Plane Trees’!

Massive thanks to Heidi and family for sharing their perfect pocket home with us today!

View from garden in.  Dot painting leaning in the living room is by Heidi – gesso, muslin and ink on canvas.

Sweet living room details

Kitchen with breakfast bench / dining table / work station attached!

Living / kitchen looking down to hall and entrance (spot the ladder in the hall – leading to attic storage!)

Artwork above bed – Pastel on Belgian linen by Heidi. Pepper the dog wasn;’t massively excited about having his photo taken, as I recall.

Mantle in master bedroom

Left – Painting above bed by Heidi Gill.  Right – Beautiful portrait of Heidi’s daughter Jemima, taken by Hallie Burton.  ‘I love the portrait of Mima, taken by my dear friend Hallie Burton and framed and given to me by my other darling friends Megan Morton, Sophie Baker and David ‘Bubbles’ O’Brien for my 40th birthday.’ says Heidi.

Antique chaise in master bedroom

Bathroom details – pom pom towels by Jac & Jack

Jemima’s bedroom

Details from Jemima’s room – Rachel Castle heart print up top

Dolls house exterior – so pretty!

Wednesday 18th April 2012

• kris 3 years ago

Love this house! What are the wall sconces in the hallway off the kitchen?

• Megan 3 years ago

So lovely TDF and so lovely sparkles

• Kate 3 years ago

What a little stunner! I am seriously intrigued by that bathroom! The tiles? I need to see more :) kb x

• Jane 3 years ago

What a wonderful place! Beautifully styled, but it has such a welcoming feel about it. Love the courtyard garden, love the clever use of small space (love the storage boxes in the fireplace!). A great inspiration in so many ways.

• Epicurean Wife 3 years ago

What a fantastic sense of calm freshness throughout the home. A perfectly suited colour scheme for the building and available light too. Beautiful!

• sarah 3 years ago

I love the matt kitchen cupboards, can I ask how was that done?

• Katie 3 years ago

Beautiful!
    Does anyone know what the tree in the courtyard is? Or the plant on the outdoor table? We are attempting to make a lush green courtyard as well and I love these two features (plus everything else!)

• sunshine & daydreams 3 years ago

How weird. She seems to be living my life but a lot more stylishly. I have one husband, one little girl and a pet named Pepper. Our house is a bit bigger, but hers is so much better! A beautifully inspiring way to start my Wednesday as usual.

• Brendan 3 years ago

What a wonderful home… I love that ornate occasional chair, to die for. I really need to get me a court yard… and a greener thumb! LOL

• Sim 3 years ago

Just breathtaking – this, to me, is such a stylish and well-loved home.

Pepper seems to be saying ‘haven’t you people got better things to do?’ which gave me a giggle :-D

• Harriet 3 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous.

• Heidi 3 years ago

Such lovely comments, I am super flattered. Lucy is a darling to post and produce this little story and Felix is very talented and may I say, an extremely handsome frenchman!! Answers to the questions: The tree is a “Snow Pear” – ornamental pear species, The plant on the table is just Oregano, but lots of it grown in a rusty plough disc from the farm. All you need is a good old Sydney ‘non’ summer of rain to get this greenery!
    The Bathroom tiles are spanish handmade, grouted with good old sand and cement – you can buy them from Aeria Country floors.
    The cupboards in kitchen, Matt polyurethane in Dulux Namadji, shows all greasy fingerprints so beware or be friends with Murchison Hume glass cleaner!

• Barbara Fisher 3 years ago

I love Wednesday’s peek into people’s homes!

Kris – just guessing, but the wall sconces in the hallway look like part of the Artemide Tolomeo family of lights (and that looks like a Tolomeo Mega next to the lounge).

• Lydia 3 years ago

Wednesday is my favourite day at TDF! Heidi’s home is yet another incredibly stylish addition.

• emma davies 3 years ago

thanks for the show and tell x

• Annie Bowen 3 years ago

Gorgeous Lucy! Always love a good home tour, just stunning. x

• Lucy 3 years ago

THANKS HEIDI! If only every home owner knew the exact treatment / paint colour for every surface… trust a stylist to know! x

• margie 3 years ago

LOVE Dulux Namadji – it’s a winner… I always have to warn clients about the joys of matt poly finishes… But really they look super fab, especially in that colour – WOW.

• alessandra 3 years ago

ciao heidi questa casa è veramente stupenda!! Ora è questo il tuo lavoro? complimenti!! una sensazione di armonia bellissimi i diversi materiali sulle tonalità del chiaro. semplice ma raffinata! complimenti!

• Clare Young 3 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, can you share the source for your timber floors? Simple and beautiful.

• Alison 3 years ago

So many things to love. Do you have any details on the outdoor setting – and in particular the benches? They look ace.

• Veggie Mama 3 years ago

Oh my goodness, foliage gets me every time. So lush and beautiful! And I adore the outside, very doll’s house :)

• Katie 3 years ago

Thanks so much for the info on the tree/plants! I’m off to find a Snow Pear! The name somehow seems suitable where I am today as well!
    Another question – that beautiful bed… where did you find that?
    Amazing house! Thanks for letting us peek inside

• Sarah 2 years ago

I know this comment comes very late after Heidi’s house was posted, but I loooove the courtyard and wondered if I could find out what the paving material is? Is it just a concrete thats been sandblasted ? or is it a stone?
    Hoping someone can help.
    Thanks

• Eileen Wegner 2 years ago

LUV, LUV, this stunning wee house; one can feel the vibe just looking at these stunning pics, truely awesome