I spent about 4 weeks trying to figure out what would be a ‘Design Files’ way of doing some fashiony content during LMFF. Nothing felt quite right. I guess I’m just more of a design enthusiast than a fashionista. FINALLY, after much brainstorming, a bolt of inspiration hit. We know you love to snoop, and we love sharing beautiful Australian homes with you… so why not share a little look inside a few fabulous local wardrobes!?
And so this slightly silly idea was born…. ‘My Melbourne Wardrobe‘!
For this little series, we have asked 4 stylish Melbourne creatives to show us their favourite fashion finds from their own wardrobes… (plus a few cute personal items to set the scene), and we’ll show you the results over the next couple of weeks.
There’s only one downside – you won’t be able to replicate much of what you see here…. as you might expect, it’s all vintage / bought in Japan or, even more scarce – Gorman from 3 seasons ago! Still, we’re loving the voyeurism and we hope you do too!
Photo – Justine Ellis, Styling – Lucy Feagins
Kicking things off today is one lovely local lass well known for her fabulous way with colour - Kirra Jamison! Kirra seems to treat her wardrobe with the same intuitive sense of composition as is evident in her stunning prints and paintings. There’s a definite leaning towards a few favourite hues – apricot, orange, cream, olive and mint green all seem to dominate… (although I must admit Kirra did send us about 4 times what we have photographed here, which meant a fair bit of ruthless editing at our end – she has one hell of a wardrobe!).
Massive thanks to dear Kirra for sharing her picture-perfect wardrobe with us today… if you haven’t already checked it out go see her stunning screenprints currently on show in an exhibition entitled ‘Total Control’ at Craft Victoria, until March 31st. SO beautiful. Predictably, I want the pink one.
My Melbourne Wardrobe – Kirra Jamison
1. Hand knitted beanie / teacosy(!!) from the Country Womens Associaton of NSW, Bangalow. This place is a goldmine.
2. Obus dress bought last year three hours before I had a show open- always the way.
3. Silk scarf my step sister Sophia recently brought me back from India. Still working on this though.
4. Favourite cotton stripey tee from a thrift store in Paris.
5. Karen Walker Bunny & Flower necklace…KW is my weakness.
7. Stash of mt tape from a trip to Japan last year.
8. Felt hat from my favourite flea market in Paris, Les Puces de Montreuil. It’s a bit of a trek but unbelievably worth it.
9. Limited edition giant Emilio Pucci book… very indulgent purchase but I love it.
10. German ceramic vase from Heaths Old Wares, Banglow.
11. 4th-market teapot from Tokyo.
12. Umbrella also from Tokyo.
13. Grey Melissa gumboots- essential footwear for avoiding soggy socks from dewy early morning grass while walking my dog. I love wearing these with brightly coloured woollen OK OK tights through winter.
16. Elizabeth Peyton postcard Dane brought me back from the Tate earlier this year, and a photo of baby me and my dad age 21!
17. Painted birdie given to me by Japanese artist Mirocomachiko.
19. Paint swatches – these are never far from my side.
- Kirra x