Melly Beilby

Wednesday 7th March 2012

Melly Beilby’s wonderful country kitchen!  The framed painting on the wall is a personal favourite possession of Melly’s – it’s by David Larwill.  All photos – Sean Fennessy, styling – Lucy Feagins.

Kitchen details and lots of home-grown fruit and veg! All photos – Sean Fennessy, styling – Lucy Feagins.

From garden to table – home grown cucumbers and zucchinis! All photos – Sean Fennessy, styling – Lucy Feagins.

AMAZING fig, beetroot and pistachio salad for lunch!  Thankyou Melly! All photos – Sean Fennessy, styling – Lucy Feagins.

In continuing with our food and wine inspired content this week, today I’m super excited to introduce the Kyneton home of one of Melbourne’s much-loved foodies – Melly Beilby!

Melly is a veteran of Melbourne’s culinary community – she’s the proprietor and matriarch of fabulous Melbourne cafes Spoonful and Teaspoon in High st, Prahran East, and sweet Sardine in Armadale!  (She also co-owns Hut 13, right next to Sardine).  Melly’s cafes and catering are immensely popular and much respected by locals for their fresh, seasonal  flavours – she always has the best of the best when it comes to robust, colourful salads and delicious savoury tarts and pies.  SO SO Good.

It was an absolute pleasure to pay Melly a little visit recently at her rambling country home just outside of Kyneton, in Victoria’s spa region. After a relatively recent tree-change (Melly and husband Peter have been here only two years) Melly has taken to country life like a duck to water!   No surprise of course, given she and Peter now have space for a gaggle of healthy chickens, plus Oona the dog, and the most impressive vegie garden you’ve ever laid eyes on!  It is truly amazing, bursting with shiny produce – and so neat and tidy!

In addition to the amazing garden, Melly says she loves the solitude here and the sense of space, as well as the bird life – despite their affection for her fruit trees!  Of course another major drawcard for Melly and Peter was the fantastic produce in this area and the foodie culture in and around Kyneton. ‘On Saturday night we arrive home late and always stop off at Annie Smithers for a simple meal with a really good glass of wine – it almost feels like home as the staff are so welcoming & the food delicious.  It is a very food oriented area – lots of good eating to be done here.  The Lancefield farmers market is wonderful – real farmers with real food’ – says Melly.

Another favourite local business for Melly is Prunella - a gorgeous little shop in Kyneton for flowers and other bits and pieces.  Melly often uses Prunella for flowers for her catering jobs in Melbourne.  (Actually I spotted such retail / gallery / junk shop goodness in Kyneton whilst passing through, I really must go back and do a proper shopping guide for this region very soon!).

A final word of thanks to Melly and Peter for their incredible hospitality during our visit.  Not surprisingly, Melly has an effortlessly impressive culinary repertoire and fed Sean and I SO MUCH during our visit. We started with tea and homemade scones around 11.00am, followed by lunch (Syrian chicken with apricots, plus 3 amazing salads using home grown veg!) AND we each left with a hunk of delectable soft spongecake for afternoon tea! What a woman.

If this post has made you a little peckish, do pop in soon for a dose of Beilby hospitality at Spoonful, Teaspoon or Sardine… you won’t be disappointed!

Melly’s kitchen!  Painting by David Larwill. All photos – Sean Fennessy, styling – Lucy Feagins.

Sunroom looking out to vegie patch beyond

Sweet details in the sunroom – check out those pumpkins!

Entrance hall – table piled high with mostly food-related books!

Entrance hall details – foodie books on the table, crazy 70’s woollen wall hanging.

Details from the spare bedroom (love that crazy colourful Mexican blanket).  Chair-back cushion from Hut 13.

Loungeroom details.  Love that bold printed cushion, and all Melly’s beautiful colourful rugs.

Bedroom with views across the property.  Soft sculpture I think by Mirka Mora (this one not entirely fact-checked… I could be wrong…!)

Formal dining room – set out for what looks like Christmas lunch!  Thanks Melly!

A few of Melly’s most treasured possessions – her Peter Cole sculptures (right).  Peter is an incredible sculpture also based in Kyneton… we were very lucky to meet him during out visit!

Another corner of the amazing gardens, looking out to the tomato patch.

Garden details!  Melly loves her chatterbox chooks!  Also, home grown tomatoes overflowing on the table, perfect green vegies and lettuce, and marigolds to keep the pests away.

Now that’s a vegie patch.  With NETTING.  Serious stuff.

The winding driveway which leads to Melly’s home

Wednesday 7th March 2012

• Siobhan 3 years ago

Beautiful!

• Lisa 3 years ago

So nice to see a stylish country home. That vegie patch is amazing!

• Christine Mason 3 years ago

I was planning a trip home to Melbourne (from L.A.) a couple of years ago and remembering how much I loved the spinach tart at Spoonful, called them ahead of time to say I would be in town and any chance they’d have it on the menu – and guess what? They did make it, on the day I said I’d go – how nice is that?

• daisy 3 years ago

what a wonderful home, and amazing garden. all the colourful textiles dotted throughout give it a warm personal touch. i could quite happily live there! i would love to see more country homes featured.

• dazza 3 years ago

wow – great veggie patch

• Sunshine & Daydreams 3 years ago

What an inspiring woman, with such beautiful businesses,house and garden. This has inspired me to take a closer look at my sad old veggie patch. Thanks!

• Catherine 3 years ago

Love love – -I want a wall hanging like that too please..Dont we just love Kyneton. Family have lived there for years.

• Ben 3 years ago

Beautiful. Love Kyneton.
    Don’t forgot to visit Kabinett on Piper Street in Kyneton – super vintage shop full of treasures.
    Came back with a boot full of goodies.

• Miss Polly 3 years ago

YEY! love the Whole Kyneton hood!
    Loads of fabulous places …You must go have a lamington or something else equally delicious mmm apricot slice and a Gypsy Hot Chocolate at Monsieur Pierre in Mollison Street. LOVE IT>!
    How green is that garden!? Also love lancefield farmers market. Although it is hard to leave without buying some chickens to wander aimlessly around the garden looking cute.
    The Veggies are SO fresh!

• Bridie 3 years ago

This is a beautiful home with so much warmth! I would love to know where the entrance hall and lounge room rugs are from….?? And the little two person out door setting…?? I’m after one exactly like that…!

• Athena 3 years ago

Wonderful! What great color!

• Jessamy 3 years ago

Fantastic use of colour. Wish I was so brave!

• Simply Phoebe 3 years ago

Pretty taken with that wall hanging. Off to google “crazy 70s wall hangings” right now…

• Mandy 3 years ago

That salad look amazing !!!!!

• Jodie 3 years ago

Where did that wall hanging come from? I need one!!! What an amazingly vibrant and warm home, could move in tomorrow.

• Lynda 3 years ago

What a gorgeous house Melly has, so colourful, happy & bright. Spoonful is one of my all time favourites, the food, the setting, warm and cosy just like her home. We had Melly cater five years ago for my husbands 50th birthday party, food was amazing, a very clever lady!!

• Sarah 3 years ago

Love it! This is my dream home.

• Scarlet Jones 3 years ago

Hope you don’t mind me saying this here but I think that wall hanging came from my store Scarlet Jones. (via Patchwork on Central Park) I was excited to see it so beautifully displayed. I imported them and cushions to match from an Italian supplier about 18 months ago.
    Beautiful post as usual Lucy.

• beci 3 years ago

i need that mexican blanket in the guest bedroom! any clues as to where i could get something similar?

• Catherine 3 years ago

So Lucy, you can see we want to know where the wall hanging and rugs can be found… PLEASE.

• Margie 3 years ago

Wow… I was most impressed by, well, everything… but those VEGGIES!!! With NO INSECT DAMAGE!!! Double wow! I see the obvious benefits of netting… and a flat patch of ground… Just beautiful. Especially those lettuces. Sigh.

• Natalie 3 years ago

I dined at Spoonful last week and between the most divine mouthfuls of a Vietnamese pork roll, I was ogling the chairs around the big table….then I see them in this post- AND they are of the same beholder!!!! Where can I buy some of these chairs?!!! My life will be improved immeasurably if I was able to source the frenchy cafe chairs! X all help and guidance is appreciated!!!

• bek 3 years ago

This home is lovely and i especially adore those amazing chairs that have colourful weaving around them- the ones sitting around the dining table- does anyone know where i could find these or something similar??

• letitia 3 years ago

I LOVE this home, and no wonder- I love Spoonful on High and Hut, and guess what! We almost bought a home in Kyenton last week so I ALMOST became Mellys’ neighbour :)
    I also NEED to know where these chairs come from, I have also loved them in Spoonful, they are divine, delightful, colourful and textural!
    Thanks for a beautiful post! x

• LizzieBee 3 years ago

Ahhhh Kyneton: my local hood :)

I love living up here!! We moved up from Melbourne (where we’d moved to from Perth a year before) three and a half years ago and we couldn’t imagine living in another area :)

I love all Melly’s bright hangings and bits: you definitely need bright things inside for a lot of the year up here: is so grey, so they’re just fantastic!

• Ali S 3 years ago

I’m with Bek – those woven chairs are the bomb – want, want, want!!!

• Margaret Lewis 2 years ago

Inspiration for my own country retreat. Love the colours.

• NIKI 2 years ago

THIS IS THE GREATEST DISPLAY OF COLOUR….I WOULD LIVE HERE IN A HEARTBEAT AND I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THOSE WOVEN CAFE CHAIRS ARE FROM?? I MUST HAVE THEM!

• Lisa 2 years ago

Gorgeous colours in the kitchen! I would love to know what they have used for the splash back in the kitchen? Inspiring use of colour!

• Jennifer 1 year ago

Please! I would love to know where the rug is from! the one in the picture with the tan couch , flower pillow and basket?