Tony Jarratt

Wednesday 28th March 2012

A stunning traditional weatherboard ‘Queenslander’  – the Brisbane home of Tony Jarratt and Arthur Holder.

Kitchen details

Today’s home comes to us all the way from sunny Brisbane – we’re ALWAYS so excited to branch beyond Melbourne and Sydney, so massive thankyou to Tony Jarratt and Arthur Holder for submitting their beautiful Queenslander for a TDF feature!

Tony and Arthur purchased their weatherboard home sandwiched between the Bardon and Paddington areas in Brisbane 2 years ago, and have completely renovated the home since then.  They were keen to retain as much of its original charm as possible – so the beautiful exterior frontage of the home remains largely unchanged, whilst the rear of the house has been opened up to create a bright open-plan living space that takes full advantage of the generous verandah and view of Mount Coot-tha in Brisbane’s western suburbs.   The pair also built under the house at the rear, to create an additional living area, guest suite and laundry room downstairs.

The bright, beachy feel of this home is so instantly appealing – the white timber panelling in the bedrooms and study is such a pretty, understated feature, and really celebrates the colonial heritage of the property. The interior details are classic and restrained, but so spot on in this environment – the seagrass matting runner in the hallway, and green / grey cabinetry throughout are the perfect nautical touches for this classic Australian home.

Tony is thrilled with the results of the renovation and has many favourite features!  He says he loves the upholstered chairs in geometric patterned fabric in his study, and industrial side tables in the bedroom and living space, all purchased from Brisbane designer / blogger Anna Spiro‘s much loved store, Black + Spiro.  ‘I just love Anna and her sense of colour and style!’ says Tony. Other favourite finds include Julie Paterson’s Kangaroo Paw prints that hang behind the sofa in the living area, purchased in Sydney. ‘Julie’s use of thick gloss varnish on these pieces adds such depth and texture’ says Tony.  He is also particularly fond of two original London Underground posters from the 1930’s by British artist Edward Bawden. ‘I love them so much, I’ve carried them half way around the world with me’ he enthuses!

But the main drawcard of this home for Tony and Arthur is the location.  The leafy surrounds and view of Mount Coot-tha from the front verandah was a major attraction initially – Tony says the feeling of living amongst the trees is very calming, and the perfect antidote to the bustle of city life.   Being right on the edge of the Bardon and Paddington neighbourhoods in Brisbane, Tony also loves being only a short walk from the lively Paddington precinct on one side, and the leafy suburb of Bardon with the Botanic Gardens and Mount Coot-tha on the other.  ‘It really is the best of both worlds’ he says.

Huge thanks to Tony for sharing his beautiful Queensland home with us today – I know, I know we are shockingly bad at featuring homes from this neck of the woods… please forgive us, we can’t be everywhere at once – Queenslanders, if you have any tip-offs of other fabulous homes for a potential TDF feature, we’re all ears!

Kitchen – beautiful muted tones in the cabinetry, also love the wishbone dining chairs – super perfect in this space.

Antique dresser in the kitchen – nice balance with the new cabinetry

Hallway.  Love the white timber panelling throughout and seagrass runner – so perfect here.

Living – Kangaroo Paw painted panels behind couch by Julie Paterson.  Original vintage bus scroll so perfect in that spot!

Bedroom – industrial side table from Black + Spiro

Bedroom reverse – including one of Tony’s much loved London Underground posters

Perfect bathroom / laundry details.  Subway tiles, deep ceramic laundry sink with lab tapware, sea green cabinetry…

Study – Tony’s favourite geometric upholstered chair.

Exterior details and that beautiful leafy view!

Wednesday 28th March 2012

• Daylemoses 3 years ago

Gorgeous peaceful home. Love the cool tones throughout. Also the seagrass matting throughout is so perfect for Queensland living.

• Kath 3 years ago

Oh, that aquamarine armchair! Too perfect. Are those red buttons on the chair? The lounge lamps seem a little heavy-handed, but this house is just tremendous! The light is beautiful, the kitchen space impeccable. Bravo: thank you for sharing. Such a pleasure to look and look again (and a relief from seeing the fashion posts on this blog: yawn!)

• Lauren 3 years ago

Once again I’ve changed the direction of my dream home due to the homes feature on the blog. Gorgeous.

• Cath K 3 years ago

Great home – looks so relaxing – though how do they keep the Alessi kettle so sparkle larkle – I need that secret!! (perhaps the kids boiling it dry is my problem!!)

• Kate 3 years ago

Lovely house! That laundry room is divine!! Wish there was a bit more colour (especially cushions on the lounges) but the gorgeous upholstered chairs do make up for that somewhat. Complete shame they built in underneath, seems you can’t stop qld people doing it, despite the consequences.

• Anna Spiro 3 years ago

Tony’s house is so lovely just like him!!
    xx
    Anna

• pve 3 years ago

It has such a sophisticated ageless charm to it….love the mix and the subtle colors.
    pve

• suzy 3 years ago

Beautiful! Do you know what the paint colour on the cupboards and shelves in the kitchen is (the grey/green)? It is so calm and pretty.

• liss 3 years ago

yay QLD! love the old queenslanders.

• Victoria 3 years ago

Absolutely charming! All the painted woodwork is divine! The kitchen is a dream!

• liss 3 years ago

ps. really love the mix of modern elements with the antiques and industrial pieces.

• clealmond 3 years ago

love the front door!

• Diane 3 years ago

I thought this home looked ‘very Paddington’ from the first picture! This is a gorgeous home; I absolutely love it. Especially that aquamarine armchair! And the verandah, with that view!

• Lana 3 years ago

What’s with the negative comments today? I know people are entitled to their opinions but why do they need to be posted to the public? Tony and Arthur have done a beautiful job renovating and decorating their home, why bring it down?

• Jas 3 years ago

a gorgeous home, love the white panelling in the hallway and the runner, so subdued. Also loving the deck chairs – oh to have a deck!

• Hermit Homewares 3 years ago

That is one stunning home. You have to love the character of an old weatherboard, plus it contains some divine homewares. Tony & Arthur, you have great taste!

• Anthea 3 years ago

Lana, Agree with the neg comments, soo rude!
    Great house, and I think the wardrobe series has been great fun, even though I am an interiors addict.
    Don’t pick on my home, or I’ll turn you into a garden gnome.
    If you want to yawn, go paint your room fawn!

• Anthea 3 years ago

PS – love the hall, the study and the bedroom especially – house swap to Melbourne one weekend ?!

• Margie 3 years ago

Would love to know what exterior colours were used…..so pleasing to the eye

• Sally 3 years ago

Love the pics such a fresh house. Just wondering where Tony sourced the laundry sink and taps?

• shannon fricke 3 years ago

loving the sea green on the bathroom cabinetry… heaven…

• Em Collins 3 years ago

I love love love this home! My fav this year. So beautifully decorated!

• Yvette 3 years ago

Tony and Arthur your house is devine! A perfect balance of colour and neutrals. I totally get the neutral cushions in the living room – you don’t want to detract from the Kangaroo Paw painted panels which the photo probably isn’t doing it justice. BTW not all of Brisbane floods and when you live on a hill (check out the vista) you are safe, so why not utilise the space underneath!

• Brooke 3 years ago

Great, livable home. BTW there are fabulous houses all over Australia. Great design is not only found in the cities. Non city dwellers may not have the plethora of products available to those in the city but innate style prevails regardless of address.

• Gabrielle 3 years ago

Please tell me what the exterior color, is i love it!

• Cas 3 years ago

Just beautiful! The exterior light and deck chairs are to die for …. where are they from???!!

• annie diamond 3 years ago

I just love it all…I love all the white, but with the color too! A perfect blend.

• Johanna MacMinn 3 years ago

A beautiful Queenslander – Thank you for sharing. I would love to see the garden!

• Ronnie 3 years ago

Love the white, simplicity and character of this Queenslander. Makes me want to live in QLD! Agree with Jas, those deck chairs are awesome.

• Sam 3 years ago

Ditto, does anyone know what the exterior colour is? LOVE it!

• E-Gene 3 years ago

Amazingly well thought up house. Lots of beautiful details that fit so well with pretty much everything!

• Clare 3 years ago

Brooke, all praise to the country folk, we in little hamlets like Lithgow NSW, where the traditional miner’s double brick rules, with fireplaces in every room, floorboards crying out for revamp, and the loo off the back porch!!
    This house has a delightful airiness and grace, accentuated by the restful colours and painted woodwork. I can imagine it would be restful and soothing to spend time in. Cute flourishes like the Alessi kettle, Wishbones and bus destination scroll add a personal touch. I like its not-in-you-face gentleness and the possible recycling of so-called “industrial” tables and adirondacks. I could easily bring my book and nap quietly in any room!

• Terri 3 years ago

The house is beautiful. Any idea where the lights in the kitchen are from? I’ve been searching for the exact same type for a year now and haven’t had much luck.

• carol jane 3 years ago

I love all the white walls. So clean, fresh, and modern. What brand paint and color are all the walls? Thanks.

• Clare 2 years ago

We have a ‘Queenslander’ style home in Sydney, so it is lovely to see a similar property and compare notes. Interior looks so lovely and fresh. Love the laundry colour and traditional tiles. Can you please let me know where you purchased your exterior light from?
    Thanks
    Clare

• LOVE everything about this humble abode!

• House builders 2 years ago

Great information shared on Brisbane homes. Thanks for sharing.

• House builders 2 years ago

Nice pictures of Brisbane homes. Thanks for sharing the post.

• Miss Meg 2 years ago

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! We have just bought a 14 year old QLDer on the Sunshine Coast in need of a LOT of updating & tender care. Settlement happened today and all the brave thoughts I had of the marvellous make over I would create when we first bought it, quickly turned to ‘OMG what the hell have we done’!!!! But after madly googling ‘stunning QLDers’ I am thrilled to have come across this divine property. Thank you, thank you, my vision has been restored. Mum of 3 hectic boys xx

• Ryan 2 years ago

I love the Paddington area in Brissy and what a wonderful renovation. Such simple colours beautifully highlighted by furniture and wall art. Lovely home.

• Beautiful information given in this blog related to the houses.

• D 11 months ago

Would you mind telling me the names of all your paint colours

• EMILY 9 months ago

hotassmess

• Nikki 5 months ago

Just wondering if you could tell me the exterior colours used on this property.

Thanks