Red Hill Weekender – Lucy Hill and Family

Wednesday 8th February 2012

The Orchard Keepers Cottage at the Red Hill property of Lucy Hill and family – all photos Lucy Feagins.

Orchard Keepers Cottage interior – beautiful muslin-draped bed, bedlinen from Scarlet Jones

Bedside details

Okaaaayyy get ready for some serious home/life envy.  Today I have the great pleasure of sharing a home I would DIE to own.  This is the Red Hill weekender of Lucy Hill and family. Deep breaths people.

You may remember Lucy Hill’s beautiful Victorian home in Prahran which we posted here a little while ago.  At the time Lucy was keen to share her holiday home in Red Hill with us too – so of course I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to pay her family a little visit during school holidays a few weeks ago!  What I discovered was the truly most idyllic family getaway… complete with rambling hills, vineyards in the distance, horseriding, and a couple of donkeys!   Aghhh – too perfect!

Lucy and husband Tony purchased this beautiful property on the Mornington Pensinsula 5 years ago.  Lucy says they had been looking for a while and fell in love with this farm and it’s three sweet cottages, surrounded by vineyards and green hills.   Being an avid gardener, Lucy was particularly drawn to the generous grounds and beautiful old Sequoia tree pictured below (the tallest species on earth apparently!).

Of course when Lucy and Tony first acquired the farm there was a lot of work to be done! ‘Firstly we spent weekends painting the cottages – anyone who stayed was given a paintbrush’ says Lucy.  Lucy’s special project though, and the subject for most of the shots you see here, is the Orchard Keeper’s Cottage – a tiny, self contained weatherboard cottage expertly renovated in Lucy’s classic, romantic style.

‘We restored the Old Orchard Keepers cottage for guests to stay in’ says Lucy.  ‘It was a labour of love. Everything we acquired fitted in so perfectly – including an old sink from Montreux and a beautiful bench top from a friends old butlers’ pantry.  I worked once a week with a neighbour who was an absolute craftsman restoring it.  When it was completed we decided to start renting it out as a romantic getaway – we have already had a couple of bridal parties and proposals!  It makes all the hard work worthwhile and it has been so lovely to be able to share this cottage with others’.

With teenage kids Sam, Julia and Celia in tow, Lucy spends as many weekends and school holidays as she can here, when the cottage isn’t rented out.  ‘The girls horse ride and I love gardening – luckily we inherited a garden with 50 year old trees so we built a kitchen garden which is still evolving.  I wanted my children to have a childhood of simplicity away on the weekends surrounded by nature’ says Lucy.  I think you’ve succeeded Lucy!  A truly magical home-away-from-home has been created here.

Massive thanks to Lucy for her incredible generosity during my visit, and for sharing her beautiful home with us (again!).  I was so lucky she allowed me to stay in the Orchard Keepers Cottage overnight during my visit and it really was such a serene, calming space to sleep and wake up in the morning – I definitely recommend a stay here if you’re looking for a romantic weekender!  (The Orchard Keepers Cottage is listed here for holiday rentals!)

Lucy loves the local produce and handcrafted product in Red Hill and wanted to make a special mention of the pottery and handmade pieces throughout the cottage, mostly bought at The Red Hill Market.

Another shot of that stunning muslin-draped bed (super comfy too I must say!)

Basin and sweet vintage bathroom accessories

Kitchenette – with beautiful rustic handcrafted pottery purchased from The Red Hill Market.

Kitchen details –  vintage sink from Montreux and bench top salvaged from a friends’ pantry

Dining table details.  Linen curtains dyed by hand by Lucy!

Looking across entrance hall to bathroom.  Rug from Market Import.  Dream Catcher from the Byron Bay Artisan’s Market.

Entrance to the cottage.   Rug from Market Import.

Cottage details – love the rusted barrel side table and sweet vintage details!  Rug from Market Import.  Dream Catcher from the Byron Bay Artisan’s Market.

Outdoor bath with sweet handmade linen curtains!

Kitchen Garden detail

Garden details including that stunning Sequoia tree!

Lucy’s daughters’ handsome horse Melody, and views to neighbouring vineyard

OK I know it’s just getting ridiculous now, but how could I resist getting a few shots of Lucy’s beautiful daughters Celia and Julia with friend India, roaming the property with pet donkeys (Harriet and Twinkie!), and showing off their vintage TENT they love to sleep in when staying at the farm!?  SO CUTE!  The girls’ pretty dresses are from India’s Mum’s label – Willow and Finn.

Childhood doesn’t get sweeter than this!  And besides, who needs Facebook when you’ve got donkeys?  Girls’ dresses by Willow and Finn.

Wednesday 8th February 2012

• Nic @ Yardage Design 3 years ago

Wow – you were right – MAJOR house/lifestyle envy! All of it is lovely, serene, tasteful and interesting. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Lauren 3 years ago

Wow – what a spot! Just beautiful – feeling slightly jealous too!

• mes bijoux 3 years ago

Oh! it is absolutely adorable! I love the bedroom, with the drapped bed and the outdoor bath. Lovely!
    kisses from Barcelona!

• Indra King 3 years ago

I thought I recognised this property! I have swooned/stalked over this place since seeing it on a wedding photography blog and wondered where it was. Have a look here you won’t regret!!

So amazing, what an incredible home. MAJOR life/home envy indeed!

• Oohh take me there. Hello crisp, clean dream land.

Design files- i have just searched my little heart out for you on instagram- are you on? If not, please do! My feed needs you.

xo em

• Emma 3 years ago

Love, Love, Love……….

• Kelly Exeter 3 years ago

Looooove this. I love a predominantly white palette with vintage accessories!

The house and setting is definite the stuff dreams are made of!

• megan 3 years ago

dear red hill house. you are beyond lovely. can i ask where you got your tent from? mm

• sangi 3 years ago

Wow! Amazing and lovely place – will def keep this in mind for next weekend getaway to red hill! thanks for showcasing such a beautiful place!! :)

• Miss Polly 3 years ago

LOVE IT!!!!!

• Something Gorgeous 3 years ago

Love the rug. Actually love everything. x

• Simone Patterson 3 years ago

Indra King, thank you so much for linking Jonas Petersons website. Those photographs are beyond amazing. They actually bought a tear to my eye. Make sure if you have a look that you have the music on. And of COURSE thank you Lucy for once again sharing a beyond inspirational home and the story behind it. x

• Bianca 3 years ago

Gorgeous! thank you so much for sharing, I’m off to check out the Orchard Keeper’s cottage listing now :)

• Sim 3 years ago

Looks too good to be true! Sigh.

• Caro Kelly 3 years ago

Amazziiiii!! Extreme love for that part of Victoria, idyllic.

• Lucy Hill 3 years ago

Thank you for all your beautiful comments
    Yes the photographs on the amazing Jonas Peterson website of the gorgeous bride getting ready at “The Orchard Keepers Cottage” brought a tear to my eye.
    Lucy you also are an amazing photographer!!
    Thank you for capturing the spirit of Red Hill.

• Cat 3 years ago

Ahhh. Yes you’re right… things just did get silly by the end. What a wonderful childhood filled with rolling hills, a vintage tent and donkeys! Absolutely blissful xx

• Therese 3 years ago

Oh super jealous of that tent!! Love all of the ceramics as well.

• Alexandra 3 years ago

How beautiful!! The gardens are just divine and so hard to believe it is only an hour from Melbourne…. The owners truly have a wonderful eye and so nice to see something not so overdone – just enough to compliment the buildings and the gardens. Understated elegance at his best and what a magnificent backdrop for a wedding or a romantic getaway. I for one will be booking ( :

• Em 3 years ago

Almost unbearable levels of amazing

• Margie 3 years ago

I ADORE that bell tent!! The couple at Junkaholique (http://www.junkaholique.com/) use one as well, and have posted some of the most gorgeous English campsites I’ve ever seen, complete with their beautiful vintage camping equipment. It’s a total package. Divine.

• janie 3 years ago

I love the orchard keepers cottage I stayed there last year and it was amazing. Definately will be back.

• Bronwyn Poole 3 years ago

This is so special and beautifully restrained. I love!

• Sara @ zaharadessert 3 years ago

This is just beautiful. I WANT THAT BEDROOM! Stunning!

• deb 3 years ago

exactly! who needs facebook whe you have donkeys! Love it. So charming and peaceful. What a way of life x

• Lucy 3 years ago

Thanks so much for all your lovely comments today guys! I get such a kick out of hearing your lovely feedback to each home tour – makes all the hours totally worth it!

I think Em said it best today with her response to this beautiful home – ‘Almost unbearable levels of amazing’ !! x

• Sarah McCarthy-James 3 years ago

a great inspiration, thank you for sharing.

• Gill 3 years ago

If this house were a dress – I would wear it every day! You plucked a dream right out of my head, complete with Donkey! In love with this house, but I must admit I have seen that Lucy’s gorgeous Prahran home is up for auction soon. I’ve got my Tatts ticket and all fingers and toes crossed!!!!! Lucy Hill you are one lucky lady.

• Mads 3 years ago

Lucy, I’m late on this one…but dang it’s most definitely one of my faves.
    I loved it so much and then when I got to the donkeys! The Donkeys! Gah!
    Too much. My head almost exploded.
    Thanks for making Wednesdays so inspiring xx

• Georgia 3 years ago

Divine home & gardens, Lucy what a gorgeous job you have done. Thanks for sharing. x

• eat my shorts 3 years ago

Just stunning.

• Jules 3 years ago

Such amazing taste and talent Lucy!! Truly stunning property that reminds me of Europe…so rustic, dreamy and romantic!!

• Groomstreet 3 years ago

So stunning!!!! We are looking for a tiny dining table like that one on the cottage! Can I ask where it is from!? Also the couch with the beautiful piping.
    Just divine !!!

• Candace 3 years ago

True true, who does need Facebook when you have donkeys…

• MARGARET O'NEILL 2 years ago

Lucy your sister in law Angeline (my sister) was right your house is amazing. looking forward to meeting you all. Margaret

• bron smart 1 year ago

Hi Lucy,
    Is your weekender still available to rent… I want to go!!

• Paul 1 year ago

The property now has a website: http://orchardkeepers.com.au

• Janie 1 year ago

Looks like Lucy Hill sold and the tiny cottage has taken a new direction. I can’t wait to see what Lucy does next.