Melbourne Home – Georgia Danos

Wednesday 1st February 2012

The Toorak home of Georgia Danos and husband Julian.  All photos –  Sean Fennessy

Bottom left – one of two bronze dancers, gifts from Georgia’s grandparents when she first moved out of home. ‘I am the very lucky fourth generation to enjoy them – just looking after them for the next generation!’ she says.  Bottom right – painting by Matthew Johnson, a gift from Georgia’s girlfriends for her wedding. ‘I adore the colours and it reminds me of how special and beautiful my girls are!’ says Georgia. Photos –  Sean Fennessy.
Loungeroom.  Paintings by Graeme Rowe.  ‘The pair of Graeme Rowe paintings were a wedding gift from my Aunty & Uncle, who also gave me the wire sculptures many years earlier for my 21st birthday! I particularly love the colour of the Barcelona chair, such a classic timeless design.’ – Georgia.  All photos –  Sean Fennessy.

Ooh la la this one is a doozy.   A mid-century masterpiece in Toorak, designed by none other than architect Roy Grounds of NGV fame!  The home received many accolades when first built in the early 1950’s, and won the Victorian Architecture Medal in 1954.  A classic, quintessentially Melbourne home.  Actually, it feels a little like a teeny tiny version of the NGV, minus the stained glass ceiling.  And waterwall :)

The lucky couple who call this amazing space home are Georgia Danos and husband Julian, who purchased the house nearly 5 years ago.  Georgia and Julian were lucky to move in not long after the home had been meticulously restored by the previous owners.  The house is heritage listed, and still retains the majority of its original features – I get the feeling this home has been very well loved by every generation who has lived here!

What is amazing about this home is the incredible level of detail specified by Roy Grounds when he designed the home nearly 60 year ago.  It borders on control-freaky!  I say this because so much of the furniture is fixed – the cabinetry, the circular dining table, even the master bed and bedsides are all built-in, perfectly placed in symmetry with that incredible internal courtyard, never to be meddled with by any future residents!   Not that you’d want to mess with this uncompromising architectural vision – Georgia says ‘It’s so superbly designed that the sun literally wakes you streaming onto the pillows in the morning!   The detailing is so considered yet so simple.’

It’s clear from just a brief chat with Georgia that she is truly passionate about the  mid-century detailing and historical significance of her home.  She gushes enthusiastically about the unique atmosphere of the space – ‘The circular courtyard is incredible – this aspect is felt from every room, as is the beautiful outlook onto lush bamboo, amazing how it grows!  The timber panelling on the ceiling and walls is a unique feature of the house.  I feel so lucky to live in this little oasis.  There is such a sense of serenity and peacefulness about the space.’

In furnishing her home, Georgia has been careful to work with the existing elements and keep the interior styling classic and understated. A mix of vintage and new artwork and furnishings ensure the home feels contemporary whilst maintaining a respectful nod to the past.  Two original Barcelona chairs in stunning tan leather look like they might have belonged to Roy himself!  The Matthew Johnson painting is a treasured possession – a wedding gift from Georgia’s best girlfriends, whilst the precious bronze dancers are family heirlooms from Hungary. ‘They have been handed down for 4 generations and remind me of my family’s history’ says Georgia.

Georgia is one stylish lass, and for that reason we just had to include the pretty portrait of her below.  Mainly because her outfit is sensational AND somehow it kind of matches the beautiful warm tones of the house!  I aspire to look this glamourous in everyday life.  But don’t be too impressed – Georgia is co-owner of the very gorgeous Grace boutique in nearby Hawksburn village… so everyday glamour goes with the job!

Massive thanks to Georgia for sharing her stunning home with us today!  She’d also like to thank Fleur McHarg for the beautiful flowers dotted throughout the house.

Georgia Danos at home.  Photo – Sean Fennessy

Dining room and amazing fixed dining table!  ‘Nothing beats dining at a round table – meals with family and friends are a favourite past time of ours’ says Georgia.  The flowers throughout the house are by Fleur McHarg. ‘Fresh flowers make me happy!’ says Georgia… ‘I can’t go past Fleur McHarg’s blooms, and this vase was a house warming gift from my brothers in my favourite colour’.

Kitchen – again original cabinetry.  The prints on the wall were bought in a tiny shop in Montalcino in Italy on Georgia and Julian’s honeymoon. ‘I have a started collecting tea cups, which began when I was given one from each of my girlfriends before our wedding. There is a very eclectic mix from fine bone china to chinese tea cups!’ – Georgia.

Master bedroom.   ‘The treetops as a constant background is one of our favourite features of the house’ says Georgia.  Jielde lamp from Euroluce - of course in Georgia’s favourite colour, another shade of green!

An exterior plaque denotes that this special home was the recipient of the Victorian Architecture Medal in 1954.

Wednesday 1st February 2012

• Freja 3 years ago

very inspirational
    10x

• Paula 3 years ago

superb house!

• Jessamy 3 years ago

Inspirational and aspirational.

• Joel 3 years ago

I love this house! Grounds was a genius – and Georgia has compounded that by infusing her great style… Stunning!

• dustjacket 3 years ago

just amazing!
    dj

• librarygirl 3 years ago

The house in the trees…..simply divine.

• handmaderomance 3 years ago

beautiful! love the earthiness this home retains yet still manages to be modern and colourful. gorgeous treetop views and those divine graeme rowe paintings!

• paula mills 3 years ago

All the colours come together so beautifully in this home – wow. Amazing photography too, lovely to look at.

• Margie 3 years ago

my oh my… Roy Grounds has to have been one of the most amazing people… What a treasured home. That WAS a doozy!

• Allison Taylor 3 years ago

Reminds me of the detail in some of Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture. It must have been very fashionable to build the furniture in. What I find amazing though is, the consideration of light and that the cabinetry has stood the test of time. Would cost a fortune to replicate. And I think green is my favourite colour particularly when mixed with a strong blue!

• Donna 3 years ago

Such a gorgeous home. Big fan of Roy Grounds. I so wanted this house when it came on the market a few years back. Alas…

• Annefie 3 years ago

This home is truly amazing. It’s so refreshing to see someone so passionate and really appreciate the heritage and era of this building. I live in Toorak and everytime I walk the streets I am amazed and so grateful at what people do with their gardens and how they keep and respect their beautiful homes. This one is a treasure and one that I will keep my eye out for on my next explore of the neighborhood . Thankyou for sharing

• Jules 3 years ago

What a beautifully stylish house and owner!

• Something Gorgeous 3 years ago

Such a beautiful home, amazing photos. x

• Kylie 3 years ago

I remember seeing this wonderful house in Karen Mc Cartney’s book and I loved it then. So nice to see it well loved and lived in by its new(ish) owners.

• Edwina 3 years ago

As the owner of a mid-century home that we are in the process of restoring, I am
    swooning at the moment….so glad it is heritage listed & being loved & shared. So many stunning & beautifully designed homes from mid 20thC are being demolished in favour of McMansions & the like. Lurve this one Lucy!!

• kristen 3 years ago

Admiration for the owners respect and love for the house. I adore the bedlinen and pillows. Would love to know where they are from. The crazy paving is as good as it gets.

• lauren 3 years ago

Thank goodness such an amazing building is in safe hands. Basically this is my absolute dream house. I love they way they have decorated it, sympathetic and filled with personality, not like a design museum. They are very lucky people!

• Everyinch 3 years ago

Just beautiful – one of my favourite houses on The Design Files for sure!!!

• Lucy 3 years ago

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys! I am sure Georgia will be thrilled to see so many kind words! x

• Georgia 3 years ago

Absolutely – thank you so much for all the kind words! We feel very lucky to live in such a gem! p.s. Kristen, the linen is Sheridan and the pillows are DIY/fabric from a gorgeous little store on Burke Rd, near the corner of Wattletree Road, Malvern East… From memory it’s called Patchwork but it was a while ago so don’t hold me to it! x

• es 3 years ago

Any chance we can get the low down on that beautiful couch?

• eat my shorts 3 years ago

I love the neutral tones mixed with splashes of colour.

• silverfox 2 years ago

Hi, can anyone please tell me anything about the glass coffee table near the barcelona chairs? I actually have one, but I don’t know where it came from. Many thanks in advance.