Uncategorized

A Week Inside The Hungry Workshop – Mixing and Matching

by Jenny Butler
Thursday 9th February 2012

Jenna and Simon have almost completed their Design Files inspired card- the second and last print colour is being printed and then the cards are die cut. Today is your final chance to leave a comment and go into the draw to with The Hungry Workshop greeting card prize pack- the winner will be drawn at random after 10pm tonight. Be sure to come back tomorrow for the grand reveal! -Jenny x

After our first colour has had time to dry, we move on to printing the second colour. Today we’re mixing up a beautiful shade of aqua blue.

Each and every colour we letterpress print requires a separate photopolymer plate and freshly mixed ink. Most of our cards are printed in two colours and since the inks are translucent, we always like to work a bit of overprinting in the design to achieve a third colour. For these cards, the third colour is a lovely green accent.

Making sure everything is accurately registered and lined up can be quite tricky, it takes a keen eye and a few careful adjustments inside our big press. Luckily, one of us has very good attention to detail.

Once the second colour is printed and the machine is cleaned up, we run the sheets through a third time for die cutting. The aluminium base is swapped out for the custom made die cutting forme, made up of scoring and cutting rule. This gives our cards a score line down the centre and also cuts the edges into our unique corner shape.

Check back tomorrow to see the finished product!

- Jenna & Simon x

by Jenny Butler
Thursday 9th February 2012

• Toni Smith 3 years ago

That aqua blue…. Swoon :)

• Shelly C 3 years ago

I can’t wait to see the finished DF card. The Hungry Workshop produce beautiful and quality work – I know because my sister has just had her wedding invites printed with them.

• Sarah 3 years ago

Desperate to see the end product…

• eeeeeeeeee can’t wait!

• picturette 3 years ago

letterpress printing is so lovely, it’s very interesting to see behind the scenes, thanks for sharing : )

• Phoebe 3 years ago

urgh, that shot of the ink being mixed is divine! Looking forward to tomorrow guys.

• Brydie 3 years ago

Love seeing the ink, and the colour overlap. Can’t wait for tomorrow to see the final outcome! Thank you for sharing this with us, it’s been so exciting and very interesting.

• Bec 3 years ago

Letterpress printing is lovely and so fascinating to see the process behind it. Thanks for giving us an insight into your work. Can’t wait to see the final outcome tomorrow!

• Lou 3 years ago

I’ve been fascinated by this process…. I didn’t realise it was so hands on. This is definetly something I am going to explore. Loving this week’s guest blog – cannot wait to see the finished product tomrorow.

• emma 3 years ago

this is just lovely
    thanks for sharing :D

• Lauren 3 years ago

Really enjoying seeing the whole process!

• Eden Platell 3 years ago

Each morning I’ve been looking forward to my email just so I can see the next step in the letterpress process. I have an old press in my shed which I’m storing for a friend and I had no idea how it worked, it’s so interesting to see every step from concept to final product. A big call but I think this has been my fav guest blog so far! Can’t wait to see the finished card!

• Ange 3 years ago

All these daily morsels of letterpress goodness is making me…Hungry.

• Jodi 3 years ago

Wow, loving these posts. Looking forward to tomorrow’s big reveal!! Oh, the suspense!

• Ing 3 years ago

Love it, can’t wait to see the finished card!

• Em 3 years ago

That ink looks delicious (in a non-edible way of course). Nice sense of anticipation for tomorrow!

• Spencer 3 years ago

Letterpress FOR THE WIN.

• Amanda 3 years ago

Really looking forward to tomorrows post!

• Matt 3 years ago

Nice work and nice bunch of people too. If only you could letterpress everything.

• Jenna 3 years ago

I know it’s been said many times during these posts, but can’t wait to see the finished product! Such a beautiful technique, it’s great to see the steps involved for the finished product. Inspiring!

• Brett Piva 3 years ago

Great to see the whole process guys. Still loving my business cards and getting so many great responses from them. Thanks again.

• Fig 3 years ago

Shit yeah! That Aqua blue is rocking! :)

• Tara 3 years ago

Gorgeousity!!! Mounting excitement!

• Connor 3 years ago

Trade places?

• Bridie 3 years ago

I LOVE these guys – not only are their cards and paper-stuff super cool and they are super nice, and its the only place I’ve ever been able to find a valentines card appropriate to give a boy!!

• Rebecca 3 years ago

Love letterpress!! Such a beautiful artform…

• Meaghan 3 years ago

Such shiny machines!

• Megan Carew 3 years ago

I’m seriously really inspired by your work here. The progress shots are so gorgeous, and intriguing. I can’t wait to see the finished product. xx Megs.

• ScottC 3 years ago

Nice work. I love seeing progress shots of letterpress work :-)

• Mandy 3 years ago

I’m looking forward to the final product tomorrow. More blogs like this please design files. Its great to follow the progress day by day.

• Jordan 3 years ago

As a professional creative, I long for opportunities to create something beautiful and unique. Simon and Jenna, with their passion for letterpress, their love of paper and their flair for design have created this fabulous business doing what they love and the results show exactly that! I can’t wait to do my next letterpress job. Love, love, LOVE your work!

• michelle 3 years ago

my fingers and toes are crossed!

• Ceridwen Barber 3 years ago

As a little girl, my three brothers and I were allowed to accompany my father on weekends to his printing factory in Carlisle Street, St Kilda ( in the sixties). About 6 workers were employed. Conditions were poor by todays standards. The factory was a large corrugated tin shed housing quite a few different presses inside. Letterpress was being replaced at the time by different methods of printing. We loved the times spent amongst the noise of this print environment. I recall the viscous inks, the galleys of moveable type, the paper. It was an interesting work environment to observe as a young child. The office was situated at the end of the yard in a decrepit cottage. My father died unexpectedly when I was 12) and the business was sold. His father had been a printer and had worked at setting up the business.
    40 years on, big changes have taken place in the field of print. I grew a little and studied art, working as a graphic artist in my twenties. I stumbled on this site. I think your work is beautiful and can see that you love what you are doing. Well done! It’s wonderful to see that these old methods (using Letterpress) are revered and capable of supporting you in the production of such fine work today. Great to see that you saw an opportunity to produce such fine work. Beautiful type, beautiful paper, beautiful colour! (Ceri said).

• the impo$t! 3 years ago

most lurvellié work,
    yes, – its the “hands-on” aspect.
    the craft,
    the real “mixing” of true colours, – not a pms.

love yah work…………!

• Alice 3 years ago

Perfect time for this guest blog as I’m doing a letterpress workshop on the weekend. Thanks for the awesome inspiration – loving your work Hungry Workshop!

• Nusha 3 years ago

You guys make me want to get married just so I can make amazing letterpress invitations

• Pete 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Handmade at its best.

• stephanie darling 3 years ago

fascinating stuff! Really enjoyed seeing the process, thanks for sharing