Melbourne Home – Jessica Tremp

Wednesday 4th January 2012
The Footrscray home of Jessica Tremp and partner Michael Madden.  Above – dining area, filled with rustic vintage furniture and op shop gold.  ‘The table we bought as a wedding gift for ourselves’ says Jess. ‘Something to share stories over, stain with wine and spill memories onto’.  All photos – Sean Fennessy.

Flowers displayed in milk bottles, hanging in an old bicycle basket.  All photos – Sean Fennessy.

Another favourite painting hangs above the bookcase in the loungeroom – Jess says ‘I bought this pretty woman painting for myself on a day I was feeling blue. She makes me feel looked after.’  All photos – Sean Fennessy.

HAPPY Wednesday all!  Aren’t you glad to see that Australian Homes are BACK!?  Thank goodness for that.  Imagine a Wednesday without a gorgeous new Australian home to drool over.  How sad that would be :)

ANYHOO we’re kicking things off this week with what I would consider a typically kooky, eclectic, op-shop fabulous Melbourne home!  This sweet pad in Footscray belongs to photographic artist Jessica Tremp and her musician hubbie Michael Madden.  They live here with their distinguished dog Soda, an ex-racing greyhound (who is adorable but much less energetic that you might imagine a greyhound to be).

This creative couple have been here only 6 months, but have already put their stamp on their new surrounds.  They’re renting, but nevertheless have made a concerted effort to spruce up their new place, even re-painting the whole interior. They’re still getting used to their new neighbourhood after moving from the Northside, but are loving the generous proportions of their new home, with it’s high ceilings, large rooms and huge green backyard (with trampoline!).  Jess says ‘I love that I always feel relieved when I walk through the front door, it’s a space that allows for being creative in’.  Michael says his favourite thing about the home is that Jess is in it.  Awwww!

Massive thanks to Jess and Michael for sharing their home with us – do share the love by taking a moment to check out Jessica’s beautiful photographic work.  Her fine art photographs are here.  Her commercial stuff is here.  Much gorgeousness to discover.

Loungeroom

Jess has a thing for taxidermy, and has collected many pieces over the years.  They’re dotted throughout her home. This one is the most striking… I think because it’s mounted so unnaturally on the wall?  Very eery but beautiful.

More with the taxidermy!  This wise owl watches Jess as she works at her desk!  The image on the computer screen is one of Jess’s photographs from this recent series. The original watercolour of the jumping fox is by T. Grice. The man on the left is an old tin plate photograph.

Bedroom.  Jess wears extremely cute vintage shoes.  I wish my feet were small enough.

More with the vintage shoes.  Quite a collection!

Both Jessica and Michael love this painting in the hallway. ‘We found him on a dumpster and call him the ‘sad man’ says Jess!

Bathroom details

Kitchen detail – isn’t that colander an excellent colour?!
Soda the dog at the front door!

Fab backyard.  Swing – check.  Trampoline – check.

Love that trampoline!  They don’t make ‘em like they used to.

Wednesday 4th January 2012

• What a lovely home, I love all the vintage goodness dotted around the house, too sweet!

• Elyce 3 years ago

Just great! Love Footscray. Moving to Yarraville this week, now I have a few decorating ideas. Thanks Jessica and The Design Files :)

• Donna 3 years ago

Wow – what a gorgeous, colourful home! Love the saucer chairs out back.
    Brilliant home to kick off 2012 with. x

• Monika (MBCaptured) 3 years ago

Gotta have that blue trolley (from pic 1) and that planter stand in the hallway. LoVe it! Xx

• librarygirl 3 years ago

Being a suburban girl and avid gardener I love seeing a REAL backyard, not just a courtyard and pots!
    More please.

• ponygirl summers 3 years ago

Oh no, that poor deer. I really don’t like that. That once living creature deserves more respect.

• Pippa 3 years ago

Lovely home, many great details:)

• Sangi 3 years ago

Love the vintage & colour in the house! Especially the flowers in the milk bottles in the old bicycle basket – so awesome!

• Kylie 3 years ago

It’s silly really, how much I look forward to Wednesdays just so I can have a sticky beak at lovely homes like this one Lucy…

• Diane 3 years ago

What a great way to kick start the 2012 home tours! I love all of the little details in this home (especially the tinned succulents). Footscray is a great place to live and has some lovely houses – welcome to the neighbourhood Jess and Michael!

• Jessica 3 years ago

Thank you so much Lucy and Sean for the lovely post and pictures!
    And thank you all for your lovely comments and Footscray-welcoming! We feel very pink in the cheeks today.

@ponygirl summers
    I absolutely understand your concern, however as a huge animal lover, animal welfare promoter and vegetarian I can assure you that my taxidermy pieces are all ethically sourced. The deer you refer to in particular died naturally and I do believe that preserving the natural beauty and form of nature to be a lot more respectful than, say, eating cruel, factory farmed meat, something which the majority of us is still guilty of. Just a thought.

• Julie 3 years ago

You have made a lovely home Jess.I love the composition with the yellow roses.A touch of yellow brings the sun inside.Inspiring!

• Such gorgeous details! I love all the vintage bits and pieces, especially the mirrors and the bottles :)

PS. I’m having a giveaway on my blog if you’re keen :)

• emily 3 years ago

Gorgeous home! Well said Jessica about the deer, but I can understand Ponygirls concerns as there aren’t many people with your level of care.

• ponygirl summers 3 years ago

Thank you responding, Jessica. Obviously I am a vegetarian and animal-lover-advocate as well. Knowing the deer died naturally does help a bit. Please give it a little pat from me … sweet thing.

• Bec Winnel 3 years ago

Love love love Jess’s work and LOVE her home! I feel so inspired to go pretty my home up now. So happy to see her home featured! xo

• Gaz 3 years ago

Love your blog Lucy, but that poor deer just makes me upset

• lis 3 years ago