Uncategorized

Beci’s World – Food

by Jenny Butler
Thursday 12th January 2012

Today is your last chance to leave a comment and go into the draw to win 1 of 5 copies of Beci‘s limited edition book ‘Compendium of Me‘, published by Erm Books. Just leave a comment before 10pm tonight, the winners will be drawn at random and announced in tomorrows Guest Blog. Good luck, it is an excellent prize!! – Jenny x

food is a BIG thing in our lives. it comes with the territory when you are married to raph, creator of beatbox kitchen, taco truck and our new rooftop venture all day burger. he is, of course, the main chef in our house, but i would confidently say i hold my own in the cooking department too.

we are spoilt for choice with food shopping in our local hood (brunswick), with the likes of bas foods and mediterranean wholesalers just around the corner for us. our local organic stores are put to good use as well.

Top image – our local Italian greengrocer, La Manna Fresh.  Bottom pics from Brunswick’s famed Mediterranean Wholesaler!

we also have a few small veggie patches. i’m quite haphazard with my gardening, but each year my crops are getting better. see the green thing in the corner- that’s our BBQ. its (appropriately) called the big green egg. raph loves it so much i call it his other wife. the big green egg has magic powers – everything cooked in it comes out juicy and delicious with subtle smokey flavours.

cooking for friends is one of our favourite things, and we do it at least once a week.

this was recently down at my mum’s house in rye for christmas. some friends came down too and it was relaxed and unfancy – just how we like it.

we really like cooking with our kids too.

and of course there is always our lunches and dinners at beatbox kitchen and taco truck. that’s like a family dinner too.

we are also blessed with old school italian neighbours, who regularly pass basil seedlings and home-bottled tomatoes over the fence. here are nina and dom doing their annual olive bottling in their backyard.

this is my favourite and most inspiring thing about food, and also one of the reasons why raph started his trucks – the sense of sharing and community that it brings.

beci

by Jenny Butler
Thursday 12th January 2012

• Cathg1g2 3 years ago

Yay, love it!

• Laura 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing your inspirations with us, really fascinating……I’m off to the ops shop with camera in hand, and making some god homemade food…..

• kirra 3 years ago

…And you guys cooking for me is totally one of my new favourite things! All hail the big green egg. Gorgeous snaps Beci. x

• Natalie 3 years ago

lovely photographs which capture that essence of community you speak of…this really resonates with me – I totally love the way foody things can gather people together…and it doesn’t have to be fussy – just considered :)
    thanks

• Gerry 3 years ago

Sharing of food: fresh produce and baked goods is one of my favourite things about my neighbourhood! Gorgeous inspirational images1

• mal 3 years ago

I love that these photos are celebrating the charm in everyday events. The bunting, the table cloths, the personalised pie really does say that LIFE is the occasion. Beci, I love your work!

• BusiChic 3 years ago

…I love how food brings people together. We were living in a house full of olive trees when our old italian neighbour popped around one day with buckets and pointed at our trees. We stopped what we were doing in the house and joined him. He had limited english so he showed us how to pick the olives then watched and adjusted us until he was happy with our work. I remember the picking being a lot of fun, sitting on the fence and watching cars drive by as we picked away. We gave him all the olives and months later he came back with jars of our olives that he’d preserved, some with lemon and herbs and some with chilli. I’m a softie so whenever I used those olives, I had to try to not cry from smiling so hard.

This went on for the next few years that we lived in the house until we moved out. Driving past that house, I see that the new owner replaced all the olive trees with magnolias- which are a favourite of mine and I know will look amazing one day but I think about that opportunity for a wonderful relationship that is now lost. Food is awesome.

• Alexandra Hanna 3 years ago

Nothing better than relaxed eating and food with friends. Who needs the stress! Particularly love the idea of group-pea-shelling!

• WendyGai 3 years ago

I’m loving Beci’s Guest Blog – it seems like a peek at her real life, people, food, places, and an insight into how she sees the world. Not only is she amazingly, creatively talented but genuine. You know, like if she knew me we’d be best friends!! (like George Clooney….)

• Kate 3 years ago

I wish I had Italian neighbours to help with my olive addiction!!

• jasmine mansbridge 3 years ago

Hi Beci, I have really enjoyed reading your blog this week and I am comforted to know I am not alone in being an unminimalist! I do try but I guess i’ll always fail! Your unpretentious blog has been colourful and fun….thanks..

• Shelley 3 years ago

Gosh, this has been such a wonderful insight into your world this week Beci. Absolutely love the colourful and unpretentious-ness of your home and wee garden. An inspiration for all of us non-minimalists out there!

• Stace 3 years ago

Hi Beci,

It has been fun having a peek into your world this week via this colourful Guest Blog.
    Thanks.

• annie 3 years ago

Lovely and inspiring as always. Thank you.

• sarah 3 years ago

AH delicious! X

• Cassie 3 years ago

I love your quaint and space efficient garden!

• Chezra 3 years ago

Hi Beci
    Love the photo of the olive bottling. Some of my favourite neighbours were Greek and used to deliver homemade biscuits over the fence and feed me litres of lemonade when I went to visit (at the age of 20-something!).
    Thanks,
    C

• Margie 3 years ago

So great – we are so fortunate to have the most amazing food in this country? We are truly spoilt for choice… By the way your back garden looks SO pretty! What are those fabulous grassy looking plants on the back deck??

• Jennifer Knowles 3 years ago

Wonderful to read your blog…. I have been blathering on like a maniac to my partner about it…. colourful, delicious, and heart-warming.

• Zen 3 years ago

Woot, love that beatbox truck. A really lovely relaxed feel has been captured in your posts.

• elissa c 3 years ago

Yup, agree about food and community. Thanks for a great week of guest posts!

• catherine 3 years ago

beautiful !!!

• Emma 3 years ago

LA MANNA! Love it there, can’t always afford it but the produce is SOOOO good, VIVA BRUNSWICK!