Travel

Artisan Popsicles – a Sydney thing?

Tuesday 3rd January 2012

Lip-smacking ‘artisan popsicles’ by Sydney based Liana Raine

Ok so I am secretly in Sydney this week for a semi-spontaneous mini break… and do you know what is seriously trending in Sydney right now?  ‘Artisan popsicles’.  In other words, homemade, super gourmet and kind of vaguely healthy seasonal fruit icy poles.  They are everywhere!

One particularly delectable popsicle specialist is Liana Raine – just check out the supreme gorgeousness of their icypole collection above.  As photogenic as they are delicious.  With flavours like Strawberry Cream,  Blueberry Basil and Pineapple Chilli (plus a few cheeky alcohol-spiked creations!) they’re winning fans amongst kids and adults alike.

Liana Raine treats can be found at various organic food markets across Sydney, and at cafes and restaurants listed here.  They also cater weddings and events!

Another cute and slightly more dinky DIY duo creating equally luscious icy treats are Pure Pops – again we’re talking super summery, homemade flavours bursting with fruity goodness.  These guys sell at various spots including the Bondi Farmers market and Kings Cross organic food market.  They also have a super sweet blog in which they share lots of pics of their popsicle-slurping happy customers!  Cute cute.

Sweet pics from the Pure Pops blog!

I am not aware of any of this gourmet artisan icypole business in Melbourne… perhaps it’s a Sydney thing?  We have food trucks, they have gourmet icypoles?  Which is all well and good, except this week its 40 degrees in Melbs and a much more friendly 27 in Sydney… so, I’m thinking…. perhaps Raph Rashid needs a new project?

ps. Apologies for the entirely non design related post today!  Sorry!  It’s summer. I like icy poles.

The Pure Pops girls! (this pic from the Pure Pops blog)

Tuesday 3rd January 2012

• mosey 3 years ago

Artisan popsicles were also really big here in Brooklyn, NY over the summer. Lots of crazy cool flavors sold at open air food markets. Those look totally scrumptious! Looking forward to trying out some more in a few months time!

• Charlotta 3 years ago

So Sydney! So yummy!
    Think you have yourself a nice little business project for the warmer part of 2012.. :)

Hurry hurry before they melt.

x Charlotta
    Space for Inspiration

• Kimberly 3 years ago

Never apologise for talking about yummy icypoles! Except as I read this on a very hot Melbourne morning, in an office where the AC is broken, I now can’t stop thinking about those pure pops!

• kirra 3 years ago

genius. love it. reminds me of mexico. yum. happy new year lucy!

• katiecrackernuts 3 years ago

I was at Peats Ridge Festival over the New Year’s Eve weekend and there were homemade icy poles there – red bean and coconut was my choice. Yummo.

• Cherie 3 years ago

Yep loved icy poles at Brooklyn Flea in May 2010. Food trucks were big at Hells Kitchen Flea too, yummo.

• ragingyoghurt 3 years ago

yes, i was thinking that taco truck needed a shaved ice truck in its convoy, but artisan popsicles would do nicely!

• Miss Polly 3 years ago

hilarious post! I love it!

• Diane 3 years ago

I came across artisan popsicles in New Zealand when I was there not long ago too! Seeing as how it’s so hot in Melbourne, a yummy treat like this would be pretty awesome.

• Donna 3 years ago

I like it when you swim against the tide : )
    The icy pole’s look delish! xx

• Beci 3 years ago

I totally want raph to do sweets and this might just be the fuel for the fire! They look delicious! Thanks Lucy x

• Tara 3 years ago

as i sit here freezing in canada i really, really, really want one of those ice pops!

• felicity 3 years ago

they look amazing – i want to taste them all. however, as a victorian i insist on calling them “icypoles”

• Cam Mahoney 3 years ago

Yeah I’ve had Pure Pops. They are amazing, and all the pure pops team are so friendly.
    I’ m in tassie & can’t wait for them to come down this way!!

• jasmine mansbridge 3 years ago

Mini break hey Lucy…me thinks you might be a little bit addicted to your blog…..which by the way is great because I love reading it! Apologies for the non post related comment! Love to you in 2012 and many thanks for your dedication.

• Kate 3 years ago

Come to Daylesford! Our friend Lia and her family run a certified organic food van that they take around to all the local festivals and markets and they make the most AMAZING organic fruity icypoles. Delish!

• Lee Drake 3 years ago

Sooo delish, so summer and so Manly – Pure Pops exhibit with us when they can fit us into a busy calendar. Meander in the sunshine, lose yourself in intrigue, find yourself at Manly Market Place – Design and Farmers markets in the heart of Manly… If you are nearby, stop in for a visit – saturdays and sundays all year round ;-)

• Erin 3 years ago

Just sat down to read your blog with icypole in hand to find this very appropriate post. And I don’t think you can say this isn’t design related. Look at them – they’re gorgeous!

• jess 3 years ago

they look yummmmmmm.

• jessica anderson 3 years ago

Great story! Bianca and Aja of Liana Raine are very talented and inspired girls. Some of those flavor ideas they come up with are crazy but delish! Little bit in love with the booze infused ones!!

• Katie 3 years ago

It’s not just a Sydney thing :)

I’ve just started a business in the Margaret River region of WA called Delish Ice. I make gourmet popsicles and travel to different events and markets in my little vintage caravan, as well as catering for events and for shops and cafes.

I’m living my dream :)

I declare 2012 the year of the popsicle!

• Chrissy 1 year ago

We are in Melbourne and make yummy artisan ice pops! We can be found at The Fitzroy Market over the summer months. Check us out at http://www.facebook.com/PicketFencePops