Uncategorized

The David Bromley Collection Auction

Thursday 17th November 2011

Ever-unpredictable, Melbourne artist David Bromley is selling his entire collection of art, furniture and collectables later this month! Above – incredible styling at Bromley’s Daylesford warehouse space in preparation for the upcoming auction – timber packing crates are stacked to create individual ‘rooms’ in whcih to display his collection.

Melbourne artist David Bromley always has a surprise or two up his sleeve.  His own art practice has always been propelled by a much broader creative interest – Bromley has for many years curated an incredible personal collection of ephemera and collectables – from antiques to furniture, artwork, vintage cars and motorbikes, all dispersed between his various work spaces in Melbourne, Daylesford and Byron Bay.

Bromley’s latest whim, however, presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the rest of us! Following his decision this year to  relocate to Byron Bay, Bromley has engaged Melbourne auction house Leonard Joel to auction off the vast majority of his personal art and antiques collection. Jeepers creepers!  You should SEE the incredible things that are listed!  Artwork by Charles Blackman and Minnie Pwerle! Mid century furniture, WWII army tents, vintage cars and motorbikes and other hidden gems!  I’m gonna come right out and say this has got to be the art / collectables auction of the year!

Please re-visit this post and this post for a glimpse into the magical world of Mr Bromley. Even if you aren’t a huge fan of his own work, Bromley’s unique ability to create completely enchanting, immersive, stylised environments really has to be seen to be believed! It’s jaw-dropping stuff.

The Leonard Joel auction will consist of two carefully curated parts.  Part I is scheduled to take place at Bromley’s enormous warehouse in Daylesford, and includes post-war and industrial art, furniture and objects.   Part II will take place in Melbourne at Leonard Joel and will represent Bromley’s Australian and International art collection.  The entire catalogue is listed on line – please use the links below.

I must say, as exciting as it is to have an opportunity to acquire some of Bromley’s own hand-selected pieces, it is a little bit sad to see this impressive collection dispersed!

THE DAVID BROMLEY COLLECTION AUCTION – 27th & 28th OF NOVEMBER

Sat 19th Nov 10.00 – 5.00pm
Sun 20th 10.00 – 5.00pm
Wed 23rd 9.00am – 5.00pm
Thurs 24th 9.00am – 5.00pm
Fri 25th 9.00am – 5.00pm
Sat 26th 10.00am – 5.00pm

A few favourites from the upcoming auctions – 1) Charles Blackman oil painting, $30,000 – $40,000 (ok so this is the priciest item in the catalogue but I LOVE IT!), 2) various vintage apothecary and pharmaceutical glass vessels, 3) Leapfrog etching by David Bromley ($400 – $600), 4) David Band print ($600 – $800), 5) David Bromley ‘The Sculptor’ fibreglass sculpture, ($4000 – $5000).

Thursday 17th November 2011

• Soph 3 years ago

I love love love the whole wonderful, whimsical world of David Bromley. Always a pleasure to be reminded.

• daisy 3 years ago

lucy, i agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly!

• Wow, I can’t believe he is selling everything. I totally agreed with you, it’s a little sad but I’m sure they will all go to lovely homes.

• jess 3 years ago

this collection is amazing. I only wish I wasn’t moving to the other side of the country and trying to downsize my life too …

• Siobhan Rogers 3 years ago

Wow! Thats a bit too tempting……..

• gluten free gift 3 years ago

Crazy about the dollhouse effect of this set up! My eyes popped when the image uploaded on my computer. I LOVE this blog!!

• Dana 3 years ago

I adored visiting David’s Daylesford studio earlier this year, I was like a kid in a candy store :)

• Simone Patterson 3 years ago

Bromley leaving Melbourne/Victoria? No. Say it isn’t so. He is one of out cultural assets! A treasure! Melbourne will not be the same without him. :(

• Simone Patterson 3 years ago

And I wonder, will he be the same without Melbourne? Agggh… yes, no doubt he will, just a beachier version. Sigh.

• Emma Davis 3 years ago

Fantastic – I am just around the corner!

• Giselle 3 years ago

Two words: I wish.

• Tania Verdez 3 years ago

What a sad loss for Daylesford… :(

• Jane from Adelaide 3 years ago

David actually spent most of his life in Adelaide (having moved to Australia from the UK with his family at age 4). He relocated to Melbourne about 5 years ago. I use to lunch with friends at the Tin Cat Cafe in Kent Town (Adelaide) and I would admire his VERY early paintings on the walls there (I think his then partner, Tori, owned the cafe). IF ONLY I’d bought some back then – it makes me cry thinking how cheap they were and it’s incredible how far he has come since then.

It is terribly sad he is selling his collection and I suspect it has more to do with finalising his separation from long-term partner, Tori Dixon-Whittle (mother of their 3 kids), than his move to Byron. A lot of people don’t realise that Tori is very successful in her own right and it is so sad that they are no longer together. This sale is very sad indeed.

• Margo Carlon 3 years ago

Wow, what an opportunity.
    The packing crate rooms look like a dolls house.