Ballarat Home – Rohan Anderson and family

Wednesday 2nd November 2011

The Ballarat home of Rohan Anderson. Photo – Lucy Feagins.

Master Bedroom

Bedroom details – pics of the kids above the bed, and Rohan’s manly boot collection!  Left photo by me, right photo by Rohan.

As most of you know by now, Rohan Anderson is a photographer turned food blogger, hunter and forager, vegie patch expert and all round old-school good guy.  His blog Whole Larder Love is one of the best in the business – well worth a visit and bookmark if it’s not already on your list!   After being introduced to Rohan Anderson’s epic foodie skillz (yes, with a z) when he graced our Guest Blog back in August, we thought you might like a little peek into his Ballarat home!

Rohan lives in Ballarat Central with partner Kim and kids Helena (6) and Tia (3).   When they first got their hands on it, the house was in need of a little love… so Rohan took 5 weeks off work to polish the floor boards, paint inside and out, and install a new stove and fireplace. This is a man who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.  ‘I also went a bit crazy in the garden and converted the concrete yard into an urban food bowl’  he says.  And indeed it is.  When I visited a few weeks back the backyard was already looking super lush and bountiful (not a slug in sight) – and I’m sure it’s even greener now. I must also attest to the fact that Mr Anderson has a garden no bigger than most city pads – what that man can grow in about 8 square metres is truly impressive.  Goes to show how productive even the smallest and most concretey of gardens can be!

As he documented in his Guest Blog a few months back, despite a long stint in Melbourne, Rohan has always been a country lad at heart.  He’s pretty chuffed to be raising his young family with a strong connection to the great outdoors.  He says it’s the good people and slower pace that he loves most about living here – ‘Nature abounds within  such a short distance, there are plenty of places to go wild’ he says – ‘The kids love it’.

PowerHouse Books in Brooklyn NYC have commissioned a book from Rohan, based on his blog, which will come out next year.   I’ll be sure to keep you in the loop when it hits Australian shores!

Big thanks to Rohan and Kim for sharing their home, and to Rohan for making me a delectable lunch which did not involved snails or eels!

OH and for all the Rohan groupies (I know you’re out there), you’ll be excited to learn than I have roped the big man in for a little guest appearance in the kitchen at The Design Files Open House!   OMG.  Blog celebrity alert.  Stay tuned on that!

Suitcase collection in the bedroom – photo by me

Rohan’s study – photo by me

Lounge room – photo by me

Rohan in the kitchen!

Where the magic happens!  This shot by Rohan.

Kitchen dresser – photo by me

Kids playroom – photo by me (green cushion, barely visible, by Aunty Cookie!)

Creative kids!  This pic by Rohan

Kids details – including cute Christmas tote bag by Aunty Cookie again (perfect stocking alternative!)
Boyish bits in the study – this pic by Rohan

Looking through loungeroom into study

Vintage First Aid kit in kitchen
Sweet garden details by Rohan

House exterior – shot by Rohan

Wednesday 2nd November 2011

• Edwina 3 years ago

What a beautiful, simple home. Love it. Have already been on Aunty Cookies etsy store- love the loot bag! Also love the loveheart shaped photos- is there copyright on that!?

• Notting Hill Girl 3 years ago

Love the heart photo display – I’ve seen something similar before and it just looks fab (without costing much!).

• jas 3 years ago

I love reading Rohan’s blog and his hearty stews and such (yeah, I’ll pass on the snails too!) always look delicious! It’s lovely to get a peak inside his family home and see where the cooking magic happen!

• Kylie 3 years ago

I much as I love your more glamorous house tours (and I do. a lot) it’s lovely to see some simple, well lived-in family homes too. A bit of real clutter instead of contrived clutter is nice I think…

• Lauren 3 years ago

I love the ‘manly shoes’ the most!

• Fiddle Fingers 3 years ago

I love this house, and have even had the pleasure of visiting the insides in person, it’s such a cosy and intimate little family home. I didn’t realise how white it was though! How do they keep it so clean? So inspiring (the decor and the white cleanliness) :D

• michele 3 years ago

Man..I knew his house would be special, but it has exceeded my expectations! What an amazing cottage… Rohan and his family sure know how to do colour + texture. What a beautiful mix of vintage finds… with art + craft collecting! x

• Clare 3 years ago

I’d love to see a mudmap of the garden layout. Interested to see/ know how he makes so much of so little space!

• Allison 3 years ago

Another house that feels like a home … love the vintage first aid kit and I very much heart that photo wall.

• photos in the shape of a heart – love!

…and I spy one of my Ooshka Babushka dolls in the cot/bed/daybed(?)

lovely homey home!

• Siobhan 3 years ago

I spotted Ooshka too! Love all the much love furniture & bits, fab photo’s

• Everyinch 3 years ago

My favourite bit would have to be the herbs in the empty toilet rolls – just genius!!!

• dayle 3 years ago

love the old tea chest used for a side table! i remember hinding in them as a child & often getting snagged by an old rusty nail. Gorgeous looking home…Dayle

• Alexandra Hanna 3 years ago

Love Gorman clothing. Wonderful…:)

• Stacey 3 years ago

Bring on the sunshine! Amazing prints and beautiful colours – I am loving Gorman’s new Summer Range

• ben 3 years ago

My favourite too is the propagated plants in the cardboard toilet roll holders !!!

• Jo 3 years ago

I Love Gorman! Lisa is so talented. Please pick me

• Emma 3 years ago

Ohhhh me me me me me!!

• Stacey 3 years ago

Gorman’s new summer range is pure art! Who wouldn’t want to wear it.

• Stacey 3 years ago

Yeh! Shopping for Gorman from the comfort of my own home – Congrats on the new online store.

• Stacey 3 years ago

What a breath of fresh air! – It is so great to see something new and unique at Gorman. It justs makes me want to go shopping!

• Stacey 3 years ago

What a wonderful surprise I got when I opened my email today from TDF and discovered your story on Gorman. This is my favourite story by far!

• Stacey 3 years ago

No matter how many times I look at the Gorman Summer range I am always amazed by how beautiful it is!

• Stacey 3 years ago

Bold colours and amazing prints – Inspirational Gorman!

• rose 2 years ago

I love what you are doing and how you live. If more of us lived like you we could save the planet.
    BUT I hate that fishing. Surely there is cruelty involved catching an animal through the mouth
    with an evil looking hook, and what about the worm bait ? Was it dead first?
    I know fish aren’t sposed to feel but if Peter Singer wonders then so do I.
    regards and love for you life style (and envy)
    Rose

• Hi! I absolutely love your heart display!! I blog about tips for displaying printed Instagram photos so I love anything DIY with photos! What a neat idea!! Thank you for the inspiration!

• Daniel 9 months ago

Do you have awebsite Rohan that I might subscribe to?