Uncategorized

The Trials and Triumphs of Family Life with Able and Game

by Jenny Butler
Tuesday 16th August 2011

One of the things I love about Able and Game is that their illustrations often make you reflect on a similar time in your own life. Since reading today’s post I’ve been quietly grinning about the time my grandma insisted we eat cake with ridiculously tiny oyster forks when she couldn’t find the fancy cake forks. A small moment that brings big smiles. – Jenny x

I love hearing stories about people’s family and the funny things they do. People are always saying everyone’s family is a wee bit crazy but I like to think this is what makes things fun.  The transitions a family goes through in life is always interesting, especially when everyone in the family becomes an adult.

One of life’s pleasures is getting a little tipsy with your parents.

One of my favourite things is having a few drinks with my family.  A few weeks ago our whole family got together for our cousin’s 21st birthday and although nobody was dancing on the couch, my parents dressed up as clowns, complete with the scariest make up I’ve ever seen.  Watching my brother, who was dressed as a bearded lady, and my clown father talk in depth about how Collingwood played that day will be one of those ‘special family memories’ that don’t come around very often.

The benefit of Masterchef is when your brother brings Croquenbush to an AFL Grand Final Party.

A few years ago cooking stores were selling out of Croquenbush moulds due to the popularity of Masterchef. My brother got in on the action for my sister’s grand final shindig and came with a huge croquenbush fit for a wedding. The poor party pies and puffy dogs, even the football match was overshadowed by the tower of choux. We might not watch Masterchef, but we are fans of it for that reason alone.

Anna and Gareth x

by Jenny Butler
Tuesday 16th August 2011

• Jess 3 years ago

So true, as I grow up the quirks of my family become laughable more than annoying. Your family sounds ace! Oh, and btw. My husband flat out refuses help with the shopping. See’s it as a personal challenge to get all bags inside in one go. Everytime.
    Love your funny funny take on life guys!

• Andrea 3 years ago

The Croquenbush story is so me!! Masterchef has totally made me step up the quality of food i make to take to parties!!

• Georgia 3 years ago

Yep – know all about carrying in every single bag from the car in one go! how funny…

• MEGA CROQUENBUSH! Yum.

• Eve Walters 3 years ago

Oooh I would love to win that A&G set! My all-time favourite is the one that claims ‘ I don’t have a lazy eye, I was trying to wink at you’ – my now partner got that one on our first few dates a fews years back, so these guys hold a special place in my heart!

• Jenny 3 years ago

Funny the way the sometimes annoying things about family members become ‘quirky’, ‘daggy’ or delightfully ‘idiosyncratic’ later down the track. My Dad used to cool his tea off by saucering it. Eyebrows were raised as he raised the saucer and slurped! Love the moments captured by Able and Game. Thanks.

• elissa c 3 years ago

Hmm, now I wish my mum would drink.

• Ms Lolly 3 years ago

Have been a long time fan of you guys – keep it coming!

• Em 3 years ago

Getting tiddled with the parents had such a journey to get to the point it’s at now. I used to hide my teenage drinking from them, but now I love sharing a lager with them!

• Liz aka Betty Jo 3 years ago

We had a Croquenbush for our wedding cake, BUT, as I stayed up most of the night pretty tipsy , opening presents and eating the left over croquenbush I have never been able to eat it since……

• Oanh 3 years ago

HA HA…we’re embarking on a family holiday in a couple of months – parents, siblings, partners and inlaws!!! OMG the potential for disaster is mammoth….who’s idea was that?! I suppose we’ll have interesting tales to tell in years to come…