Sydney Home – Bronwyn Poole and family

Wednesday 3rd August 2011

The home of Sydney interior designer Bronwyn Poole and her young family.  Above – light-filled playroom.

Kids’ playroom, complete with oversized bean bag covered in Bronwyn’s all-time favourite fabric – Kelly Wearstler’s Imperial Trellis.

Ain’t it always the case that by the time you finally get your home looking just as PERFECT as you’d always imagined, it’s time to move on!?  I guess there’s nothing like an impending auction to get you motivated to finish all those niggly things that have been on the ‘To Do’ list since the week you moved in!  This is a common story in my experience sourcing and shooting Australian homes every week, and today’s home is no exception.

Interior designer Bronwyn Poole and family have lived in their stunning home in Sydney’s Cremorne for 8 years.  Bronwyn runs interior design firm Touch Interiors and Complete Pad, and we’ve been in touch for a good 6 months with a view to featuring her gorgeous home on TDF.  This month Bronwyn was FINALLY ready to share her home with us – the same month she decided to put it on the market (and it’s just been sold THIS WEEK)!  Ah well, what better way to document a much-loved family home than with a permanent record on The Design Files… right!?

Bronwyn lives here with husband Jason Ballantine (a film editor) and their three children – Hugh 4.5 yrs, ‘pocket rocket’ toddler Ashley (21 months) and a sweet new born girl named Darci (12 weeks!).  In fact it was Darci’s recent arrival that prompted the big decision to sell up and move somewhere a little bigger!  Before having children, Bronwyn used to run her interior design business from the front living room (top pic above).  These days her growing business is based in Mosman, and the front room is a sophisticated kids playroom, complete with oversized bean bag covered in Bronwyn’s all-time favourite fabric – Kelly Wearstler’s Imperial Trellis.  Ooh la la!

When asked for her favourite features of the home, Bronwyn mentions the light filled interiors, the view, the sunsets and those 1950’s curves!  Her favourite place to be is the playroom – ‘I love the lemon tea tree outside, the fireplace, the rattan trunk to hide all the toys from sight, my high bench table where I can work while the children have lego spilled from one end of the room to the other, and of course the beanbag which inspires me to get down on the ground and play!’.   The family will be sad to leave this home behind, but there’s already a new project afoot – Bronwyn and Jason have bought a lovely old 1900’s home designed by renowned architect B J Waterhouse in Neutral Bay.  ‘I hope to restore it to its former glory….  well, one day!’ she says.

Huge thanks to Bronwyn and family for sharing their gorgeous Sydney home with us today.  ALSO be sure to check out Bronwyn’s other interior design projects here – AMAZING colours, pattern and decorative details!  Well worth a sticky beak!

Bronwyn’s workspace at one end of the playroom

Living / dining with beautiful views!

Master bedroom

Toddler Ashley’s bedroom – I spy Printink fabrics…!

Hugh’s colourful boyish bedroom! Love that engine red cabinet.. Industria, perhaps?

Exterior details

Exterior evening – wow!

Wednesday 3rd August 2011

• homestilo 3 years ago

That evening view is amazing. I also like their use of graphic patterns in all of the rooms.

• Barbara Fisher 3 years ago

What a gorgeous, light filled, fresh looking home. I wish my kids playroom looked like that!

• Allison 3 years ago

Gorgeous home! Would anyone happen to know where that monsteria leaf mobile is from? I have a slight obsession with this plant!

• Margie 3 years ago

Yes Barbara, I feel the same way! My son’s room is chokkers and I constantly struggle with storage solutions for this space…

• Marsh Estate 3 years ago

Any idea where the giant bean bag came from – love!

• jen barker 3 years ago

Oh this may be my favourite post of yours ever. Wow! Don’t know whether I have seen the couture cocoon tree photographed so well before.

• Jane 3 years ago

Ooh! What a treat for the eyes, Lucy. Any idea about where Bronwyn found those divine little white houses (for tealights, maybe?) in Ashley’s room? J x

• Anna@MyDesignEthos 3 years ago

Amazing home and I can see why she loves the light-filled rooms. Fantastic interior designer, and I especially love the children’s areas.

• Jo Howie 3 years ago

Love this house – so much living space, surrounded by light, all flowing together but creating separate spaces for each individual’s mood. And so beautifully designed by the wonderful Bronwyn

• Belle Howie 3 years ago

Every element of this house is just perfectly gorgeous, the colours, the balance, the creativity! I adore the entire thing….

• Amelia @ Milkwood 3 years ago

Love the kids bedrooms…. and the playroom is lovely, but where is the ‘play’? No toys? No fun stuff? I know we all tidy up to make it look neater than it normally is when we have photoshoots (or just guests for us regular folk!), but it just seems waaay to grown up for a toddler/kids playroom. I would be very, very happy for it to be MY playroom though ; ) So almost bought one of those rocking chairs she has in her bedroom off ebay last night.. knew I was onto a good thing – I should have bid higher!

• Bronwyn Poole 3 years ago

Trust me Amelia lots of play goes down in this room, you should see the state of it now. After the many open for inspections we have had I am soooo over tiding up.

PS: The bentwood rocker also makes the best feeding chair in case you are ever in the market for one!

• amanda 3 years ago

thaks for the gorgeous pics….only wish i knew the home was open for inspection so i could have a proper peek! Bronwyn, any chance you could let me know the carpet used in your home? currently undergoing a renovation and finding it hard to choose the right natural carpet. thanks x

• I love the white and fresh green together in the playroom. That oversized beanbag looks comfy too!

• kelly 3 years ago

Okay seriously? You aren’t going to mention who the leaf mobile is by? I’m dying over here.

• Bronwyn Poole 3 years ago

Sorry Kelly, I posted answers last night but the comment seems to have disappeared! The monsteria leaf mobile was bought from Pottery Barn in America over 4 or 5 years ago. Check my online shop for details on the beanbag. Thanks for the lovely comments everyone.

• Ladus 3 years ago

What an incredible space! I love the freshness of the green throughout. Reminds me of the tropics. Love your work.. Can’t wait to see the next venture!

• Strudles 3 years ago

The kids room’s are great, I would have loved to grow up there. Love the kids table in the living room. Every room has something else in the detail that just draws you in further. Wish this could have been my new house :)