Melbourne Home – Jane Hall

Wednesday 27th July 2011

Pretty details in the home of actress and DIY-queen Jane Hall, aka Salvation Jane!

Jane’s treasured paintings by Australian artist Rebecca Cool are ‘joyful and incredibly beautiful’ she says.  (She has three!)
Light filled dining area, and Jane’s much loved vintage Parker dining suite – looking snazzy in hot pink upholstery!

There’s a lot of buzz around at present about Salvation Jane!  This wonderfully catchy moniker is the alterego of actress, designer and DIY-queen Jane Hall!  I had the great pleasure of meeting the lovely (and rather famous) lady herself a few weeks ago and photographing her GORGEOUS home in Fitzroy.  Jane’s home reflects her passion for bold colour, re-purposed vintage finds and eclectic details… it’s the perfect pretty little pad for Jane and 8-yr-old Lucia!

Jane’s been here nearly two years, which if you ask me, isn’t very long to get a home looking this picture perfect!  Aside from having one hell of a work ethic (and not being afraid to get her hands dirty!), I reckon Jane’s speedy progress is due to her tried and tested decorating motto - to salvage what you have.  Whilst she has certainly put her creative stamp on the place, Jane hasn’t knocked out walls, or made expensive changes like moving plumbing or switching rooms around.  She’s painted inside and out, had the floors sanded, changed lights and replaced a few windows.  Jane also designed robes for the two bedrooms and joinery for the study, and had them installed by a cabinet maker.  A little plastering and re-tiling here and there, replacement of taps, hardware and kitchen appliances…. and voila…total DIY refurb!!  Nice work Salvation Jane!  (She doesn’t sit still for long!)

Jane’s favourite piece of furniture is her vintage Parker dining suite. ‘It was built around the time I was born’ says Jane, ‘classic, Australian craftsmanship that never goes out of style.’  The dining chairs are on their third round of upholstery… and WOW that hot pink is amazing!  Jane’s piano also holds nostalgic significance – ‘it’s the one I learnt on as a girl, and now my daughter is torturing it’ she says.  Jane also raves about her bed, the ‘Leila’ from Jardan – apparently it is ‘THE best bed in the world!’

Jane also loves her local neighbourhood.  ‘My home and my neighbourhood are perfectly suited… eclectic, bursting with colour and culture, warm and inviting and TIGHTLY PACKED!!’ I love that description – I’m sure it’s something many of us can relate to.

HUGE thanks to Jane for sharing her beautiful home with us, and buying me a sandwich for lunch, and baking a CAKE!  Totally unnecessary yet greatly appreciated :)

DO make sure you pop over to Jane’s lovely blog and bookmark bookmark bookmark!  (if you have a good look you’ll spot a photo of ME photographing her house! Ouch!).  Jane’s new venture ‘Salvation Jane’ is now OPEN FOR BUSINESS – it’s a service that bridges the gap between high-end interior design and a styling service… Jane is all about making your home look the best it can, without ditching all your old stuff!  So if you have a home or just one room that could do with some TLC and clever design ideas, Salvation Jane is your answer!

Psst. Also, keep your eyes peeled for Jane’s brand new Salvation Jane soft furnishings range…. I’ll blog it very soon!

Loungeroom – rug by Loom, cute and surprisingly solid three legged table from the IKEA PS range!  Couch from Jardan.

Jane’s ever expanding collection of vintage Murano glassware (on top of the piano!) shows her love of colour and collecting.

Dining room details – love the vintage Perrier poster.

Bedroom – including new 27c cushion by Jane’s friend Shannon Lamden aka Aunty Cookie (another amazing multitasking Melbourne Mum!)

Details from Jane’s bedroom – top left, another painting by Australian artist Rebecca Cool
…a healthy dose of IKEA (it helps when it’s sitting on a Loom Rug :)

Lucia’s room! Pretty in PINK!

Lucia’s room (take a moment to appreciate all Jane’s amazing pre-shoot vacuuming!)

Jane’s study nook (in a corner of the dining room).  She was mildly horrified that I took this shot without ‘styling’ anything. :) ha!  I like it just how it is!

A few of Lucia’s creations above Jane’s desk

Kitchen details

Backgarden

Jane ♥’s hearts

Cute cute cute exterior.

Wednesday 27th July 2011

• Paula Norman 3 years ago

Just makes you feel happy with all that colour!!!

• heatherkeiko 3 years ago

Just gorgeous! Just what I needed to brighten up my morning… Thanks!

• Pippa 3 years ago

Yeah! excellent examples of mid century AUSTRALIAN furniture, keep collecting Jane, thanks Lucy for a great post:)

• Lusi 3 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE Salvation Jane!
    Lucy you took great shots of a home that continues to inspire me :-)
    Thank you!
    L x

• anne 3 years ago

that’s very inspiring!

• Penthea 3 years ago

Love it Lucy..! I thought I recognised that house…we used to live on that beauitful street!! Roses on the side wall….yeah?

• daisy 3 years ago

Oh it’s so pretty and fresh! I love all the hearts, and art, and garden details. Lucia’s room is beautiful. A house that makes you smile.

• ilovelollies 3 years ago

What a beauty – so colourful!

• jas 3 years ago

what a gorgeous home! I love the use of colour and I too would love that dining table if it was mine – just lovely.

• Chloe Walker 3 years ago

I would love to know where the cushion in the first photo came from…

• mariana 3 years ago

a warm, fresh and very inviting home.
    adore the pops of colour throughout and the hearts in the garden. thank you for sharing… oh.. and a lovely article about your visit on jane’s blog!

• Dawn 3 years ago

Oh my! Jane I LOVE your kitchen!!!!!

• Lyndsay 3 years ago

Oh dear, I just fell in love! So much colour!

• Alisa 3 years ago

Oh I LOVE it!!! I adore Rebecca Cools work too. I have a gorgeous doll that she made in the late 90’s and she takes pride of place in my room. What a fabulous home!

• gaz 3 years ago

The warmth oozes from Jane and Lucia’s home. Love the colour and hearts!

• BAWKBAWK 3 years ago

ahhh-ha! i know this house! its in my street, a couple of houses down- hello neighbor!

• Amelia 3 years ago

Jane’s home looks like a page out of the Undecorate book. It’s so cheerful and so much personality in each room.

• Jo @ Little Melbourne 3 years ago

Very inspiring! Adore the featherston and upholstered Parker setting.

• Amanda 3 years ago

Hi Jane & Lucy! Jane – I’m in the process of ordering the same gorgeous bed from Jardan, but I cant decide what fabric to cover it in! Do mind telling me what fabric you have on yours? I would love to know. Thanks so much, your house is divine xx

• Margie 3 years ago

great ethic, great photos, geez there are some fab people around.

• trendoffice 3 years ago

“eclectic, bursting with colour and culture, warm and inviting” – that’s my style! One can see at a glance that this is one happy house – and that’s the main purpose of interior design, not creating a showcase of beautiful and/or expensive things. I like your pictures and the way you succeed to convey that feeling!

• Diane 3 years ago

I was going to list all of the things I like about Jane’s house, but really, I like it all. What an absolutely lovely home!

• Jane Hall 3 years ago

Hi everyone, I am really, honestly touched by your comments. Thank you for making me feel so happy. I hope I can inspire some of you to lash out with a bit of colour, and to remember that decorating is NOT a science, just do what moves you, and what makes you smile.
    For Amanda, my bed is covered in an ALTAMIRA fabric, warm oatmeal.
    And hello to my neighbour!!
    Thanks so much XXJH

• Emma Treadgold 3 years ago

Thanks for featuring Jane, I have just discovered her blog and love that Design Files have picked her, love your images and her choice of colour….

• Mary Anne 3 years ago

Loved this home when I saw this in Real Living!! I liked how it has been changed around a bit so it is still really interesting to see. I love the Loom Rugs and the hot pink touches! Jane makes decorating accessible and fun! Thanks Lucy for great home tours….can I please request Mark & Louella Tuckey’s Sydney home….am dying to see if that has evolved!!

• Tracy 3 years ago

WOW a great home. It just wants to make you smile with all that uplifting colour.

• captain kk 3 years ago

another gorgeous home. thanks lucy! i think jane’s colourful, warm home reflects the happy, creative (& obviously super organised & industrious!) person she seems to be. i had quite the art glass collection myself, but then went crazy a few years ago and got rid of any & all colour! really just starting to let it creep back in last year or so :)

• tiles 3 years ago

The colour palette in this home is just stunning. It really illustrates how to use colour within your home to great effect

• Felicity Rodgers 3 years ago

Hi Jane,
    Lovely home, great mix of warm and homely furnishings.
    Would you be kind enough to share where you found your light over your kitchen table?

• I’m totally in love with Jane’s house and adore Rebecca Cool’s artwork too. Thank you so much for another great tour.

• love this house! where is the green striped pillow on the floor of the living room from?

• Pauline 3 years ago

This home is amazing, I love eveything about it, and the colours… :)

• Leesa 2 years ago

I adore the blue/ teal coloured lamp in the dining room. Any idea where that was from?

• Love the colours – they create such a happy vibe. The letterbox is too cute! Nice too see Jane reply to the comments too – lovely personal touch.

• Merryn Byrne 1 year ago

Colour is my BFF!! Awesome home xx

• Jarrod 1 year ago

Really impressed with the layout and colour selection, great work!

• Richard Fuessel 1 year ago

This is exactly the inspiration my wife has been looking for! Thanks, I will shoot this over to her. Some of the artwork is amazing :)

• Plumbing Melbourne 11 months ago