Heidi Dokulil and Richard Peters

Wednesday 15th June 2011

The Sydney home of Heidi Dokulil and Richard Peters – architectural perfection! (…and that couch ain’t bad either).  All photos – Lucy Feagins/The Design Files.

Designer details – love love love that ENORMOUS Akari paper pendant lamp by Isamu Noguchi and amazing green dining chairs by Vico Magistretti / Artemide.  OK Hand by Tim Fleming, Flatland OK (from Workshopped)

Who needs bookshelves when a few vertical stacks of books look this good?  Also love the cheerful African woven rug, from The Country Trader, Alanda coffee table by Paolo Piva / B&B Italia (from 1981, secondhand, no longer in production), Alexander Girard wooden dolls (from Space) and Astroboy!

Eames LCW Plywood chair in RED.  So so good.

Homes just don’t get more photogenic than this.  Seriously stunning.  I’m usually most underwhelmed by my own photographs – but today I must say I am pretty chuffed.  That’s because this AMAZING Sydney home is a little like Miranda Kerr – it just doesn’t take a bad photo!  Effortlessly efficient design at it’s best.

It’ll be no surprise to learn that this incredible home belongs to two super creative Sydney folk.  Designer / writer / all-round design afficionado Heidi Dokulil (of The Parcel Group and  The Australian Design Unit) lives here with her partner Richard Peters – who studied architecture and is responsible for designing their beautiful home.  The house is an inspired re-working of what was once a shed at the bottom of a larger property in Sydney’s Randwick – it’s now subdivided, with access via a rear laneway.  The pair purchased the property in 2003 – renting it out as an artist’s studio for four years, before commencing construction in mid 2008.  The build was completed in 6 months, and Heidi and Richard moved in on Christmas day – ‘a wonderful Christmas present for us both’ says Heidi!

Whilst the open plan living and pitched roof give it a spacious feel, this perfect pad is actually deceptively tiny – just 85m2, with one modest master bedroom and an even smaller study.  Clean lines, clever built-in cabinetry, under-floor heating and a second roof (to sandwich insulation above the existing corrugated roof!) combine to make this minimalist home practical and comfortable for two busy people!

Whilst the architectural elements and Japanese proportions are a large part of this home’s appeal – it sure helps when you’ve got the coolest furniture in Sydney.  That Marenco sofa (Mario Marenco / Arflex) in incredible indigo denim is just too perfect for words (purchased from Poliform).  And the RED LCW Eames plywood chair on the RED woven checkered rug!?  And the GREEN Selene dining chairs (Vico Magistretti / Artemide – secondhand, sadly no longer in production) with LC6 glass dining table (with pale blue base) by Le Corbusier / Cassina from Space!?  Could this be the most perfectly styled house ever!?  Utilitarian enough to woo even the most staunch minimalist – but with just enough colour and artfully arranged clutter to keep things interesting!   Cannot imagine a single thing I would change.   Can I just MOVE IN NOW!?

Hats off to Heidi and Richard for this incredible achievement (and thanks so much for sharing it!).  Too cool for school.

Sweet details in the downstairs study

Downstairs hallway (leads through to bathroom and study). Model Chair One with concrete base by  Konstantin Grcic.

Upstairs details – cute succulents on the balcony and galvanised mesh treadplate.

Sweet pitched roof in the master bedroom

Noguchi lamp by the bedside.  Cute balcony alongside master bedroom.

Bathroom – cute succulents on the balcony.  Galvanised mesh allows light through to the lower level windows.

White EVERYTHING in the bathroom.  Tapware, showerhead and sink.  Cuteness Missoni handtowel.

From the mezzanine looking down

Love this shot.

Wednesday 15th June 2011

• Camila F. 3 years ago

I want to take a nap in that couch! Beautiful home!

• Avantage Plus 3 years ago

wow this is so nice. I am dreaming of sydney, but mostly about that house…

• Blue fruit 3 years ago

Fabulous photos Lucy and fascinating to read about the history of the building. I did a post about this property recently and was staggered at the overwhelming reaction to it.

• georgina 3 years ago

Picked up the Vogue Living Before and After the other day.. this home has become my obsession.
    Thanks for feeding it. : )

• WDF 3 years ago

hey Lucy that roof reminds me of somewhere – looks great, noisy in heavy downpours!

• Megan 3 years ago

Heidi d is one clever cookie. Today’s rain must be beautiful on the roof. Mm x

• Clare 3 years ago

Totally not my style, but so very cool! Except the staircase fills me with dread. Are they not scared of falling off the side (irrational fear, I know)? I’m curious that it was allowed. I would have thought the local council or *someone* would have had words to say about it? I think it’s very cool, mind, and pleased they were able to do it. It looks great. Just I’d be terrified of living with it :)

• Salpickering 3 years ago

love.. and love the Vola tapware in the Bathroom.

• Raw but still very welcoming. I Like it!

agnes

• pa[u] 3 years ago

I love the ” color touch” of the woven rug in the living room !

• beci 3 years ago

i love this house so much, possibly is my favourite ever. perfect balance of calm with pops of colour. i wish i could be as clean and selective! nice work lucy x

• Rosa Milne 3 years ago

OMG this is devine…would love to relax there for a day or two!

• kate 3 years ago

Lucy, you are way too modest comparing this house with Miranda Kerr! You have done an amazing job photographing this space. It looks inviting and warm which is not an easy task with a minimalist space. You obviously have a great eye. What equipment do you use?

• Lucy 3 years ago

OH KATE you are too kind! I just use a Canon 500D (not very special) and sometimes a wide angle lens… although to be honest I think all these shots were taken with the stock standard lens that comes with the camera! Tres boring. If I could afford a super profeshh Canon 5D AND 50mm lens I would be super happy. Maybe next year!

Thanks for the lovely words everyone! This one is in my top 5 for sure.

• Mark 3 years ago

Very pretty house and decorations. Do you have a link on Richard Peters web? Or floor plans of this house? It looks to be interesting disposition, I would like to take a look at it. Thanks

• Vanessa 3 years ago

Absolutely delicious and lovely photos Lucy. VCT x

• Katie 3 years ago

You need bookshelves because moisture from the concrete floor and wall will be wicked up by the books, making mould grow and spread thoughout the entire book collection…

• That lampshade! Those green chairs! That industrial staircase! The geometric woven rug and the red Eames chair! More exclamation marks!

I am genuinely a little out of breath – WOAH. One of my favourite homes on The Design Files for sure. And gorgeous photos, you can tell the photographer really appreciated and ‘got’ her subject.