Shopping

Pure & General

Monday 30th May 2011

Pure & General

Pure & General

I just got back from a week in Sydney which was BUSY but brilliant, and filled with many new discoveries!   One of my most FAVOURITE finds was this brand new store in Potts Point – Pure & General!  OMIGOD so so beautiful.  Truly.  Proprietor Linda Gregoriou (whose impressive credentials include property developer, urban designer and ex-judge on the ABC’s New Inventors!?) opened the doors just last week, and although it’s tucked away down a quiet side street, there are plenty of whispers about Sydney’s newest retail store already… Pure & General certainly won’t stay secret for long!

After a year overseas sourcing her unique collection of homewares, furniture, toys and soft furnishings from across the globe, Linda has ensured her store is stocked to the brim with pieces you truly won’t find anywhere else in Australia.  Stunning timber vessels from Japan and Morocco, glassware and ceramics from France, cashmere from the UK and tablelinen from France and Japan… it’s just the most exquisite collection of product under one roof.  There’s a cafe on the way too, thanks to Linda’s friend and collaborator Cassie Karinsky, who has a background in hospitality consultancy and interiors styling, and who spent time living and working in Marrakech before recently returning to Sydney.

Pure & General is seriously UNMISSABLE.  One of the loveliest and most unique retail concepts I’ve seen anywhere in Aus.  It’s like a little piece of Merci or 10 Corso Como right here in Sydney.  I must thank my dear friends Megan Morton and Liane Rossler for taking me to Pure & General (twice!).

Pure & General
114 Brougham st
Potts Point
NSW 2010

ph. (02) 9360 6060

Mon – closed
Tues to Friday – Open 11.00am – 6.00pm
Sat – Open 10.00am – 5.00pm
Sun – Open 11.00am – 4.00pm

Beautiful wares from Pure & General – loving those incredible carved timber teacups and vessels from Japan!

Monday 30th May 2011

• Sarah B 3 years ago

Wow, what a stunning store. Let’s hope there’s a webstore soon!

• megan 3 years ago

oh P & G – what a beautiful place you are.
    my favourite thing? the rivet sail-ship like fixtures that attach the padded seat to the P & G bench seat. so lovely. m

• Hat 3 years ago

thanks – I didn’t know about this so will visit asap.

• Kelly 3 years ago

WOW! I love shops like these that bombard you with beauty as soon as walk in the door!
    You never know what to look at first. Probably the closest thing to a kid in a toy shop for adults! :)

• Jaclyn 3 years ago

Looks amazing, great find Lucy – hope you enjoyed Sydney !

• Too funny. I looked at the images and thought “Oh, another beautiful Melbourne store that I probably won’t get to set foot in”… but it’s right in my old stomping ground. Yay! I’m there.

• michele 3 years ago

Love the wooden cups!

• Kate 3 years ago

Ooh I love it all. If only I could take the entire shop and stick it inside my house! At least it’s in Australia…. there’s still hope for me!

• Sneh | Cook Republic 3 years ago

What a beautiful shop! Love all that I can make out in the pictures. Can’t wait to explore, lucky it is in Sydney!! Thnx for sharing :-)

• Spin Spin 3 years ago

Doh – just seeing this now, after reading about it in the new Inside Out on Monday too…ie the day after getting back from Sydney :( Oh well, another trip will just have to be organised for more Sydney fun.

• James 3 years ago

I think I’ve spied those lovely wooden cups at Mr Kilty in Sydney Rd, Brunswick

• Hannah 3 years ago

So unfriendly! I walked in with my little boy in a pram and Linda Gregoriou was so rude, telling me, not asking me to leave my pram at the front. My son was sitting so quietly too!….Made me feel so unwelcome. Guess I won’t be buying anything from her childrens section! So disappointed…..

• Eleanor 3 years ago

Strange I found Linda and Cassie quite delightful and accommodating. We walked around with the kids and pram for one hour, it was just a joy and full of lovely childrens things. I bought 2 items which I know my kids will cherish forever. Be back soon !

• I’m not that much of a online reader to
    be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future. Many thanks