Uncategorized

David Bromley – Inspiration

by Jenny Butler
Wednesday 6th April 2011

Today we get an insight into what inspires David Bromley. From his love of old kitsch paintings to a never ending magazine addiction, these are the things that make Bromley’s creative juices flow. Oh golly, what a treat! – Jenny x

I am a constant sponge and whilst many a creative folk are quite judgey over other peoples work, I am enamoured, excited – and there’s never ever enough time in the day to absorb all the beautiful things.

Magazines – I’m an addict, always have a stash of new ones I’m trying to get to read… I’ve got them in my shelf, on chairs in the car. Gotta find some time to look but I’ve just been watching films by Charles and Ray Eames – Unbelievable.   Alexander Calder – a Genius.   Starck‘s energy and belief that stupidity is one of the key things that enables him to believe he can create despite obstacles and challenges – I suppose he is a believer. As am I (stupid that is).

Day of the dead, skulls… I’m obsessed by big things, little things, jewellery, cars, motorbikes, music, New Black Angels, PJ Harvey, the National collage is the best.  Painting on raw linen and cardboard… mad about old kitsch paintings – and they’re really influencing my new paintings, as are circuses.   I just got nearly a whole of auction of circus paraphernalia.   I’m obsessed by spooky stuff too.

- David

by Jenny Butler
Wednesday 6th April 2011

• Margo Carlon 4 years ago

How bizzare yet wonderfully inspiring. I was sifting through my plethora of design magazines on Friday night and stumbled across an advertisement for your work David Bromley that is featured in Capocchi. I promptly viewed the Capocchi website and discovered the most uplifting, inspiring artistic collaboration. I empathise fully with Lucy’s excitement whenever she discovers your work and features you on the Design Files. Your new venture is wonderful and a very interesting read on your guest blog
    I ventured to Sydney on Sunday and visited your Gallery in Dank Street, i find it a pleasure just bathing in it,s atmosphere, I hear the norh shore is beckoning I look forward to experiencing your new creative space. Finally your exhibit at the last Australian Art Fair was a delight, the hand sewn lampshade and footstools painted from your drop cloths (if i am correct) were a wonderful addition to your range.
    Okay I’ll stop rambling now, thankyou David Bromley and Lucy Feagin

• Lucy 4 years ago

MARGO! I just want to take a moment to say thankyou SO MUCH for your beautiful comments both today and every day! You are always so encouraging and I am so grateful for your kind words and endless enthusiasm for the creative people and spaces we feature on The Design Files!

Truly grateful thankyou! Hope you have a fab day! x

• Sheree 4 years ago

I had the pleasure of visiting your studio on a visit to Melbourne….that was truly inspiring!!!…..I first saw the photographs on Design Files and was dawn into the space…great photos Lucy…they really represented the amazing space so well! David Bromley you are an inspiration!

• Kara Cartisciano 4 years ago

As one of my favourite contemporary artists it is such a pleasure to read about what inspires you…thank you so much for the insight!

• Lucy 4 years ago

Thanks so much for the comments ladies… :) Lovely feedback for all! xx

• daisy 4 years ago

i just wanted to say I have really enjoyed david bromley’s guest blogging!

• jo anderson 4 years ago

oh this makes my heart sing..thankyou-singing and skipping jo anderson