Sydney Home – Jo Carmichael and family

Wednesday 16th February 2011

Stylish details from the Sydney home of interiors stylist Jo Carmichael

Loungeroom (featuring brand new beautiful green Bholu rug!) and pretty details on the mantlepiece

Mantlepiece details

Jasmine’s room – love that wall colour!  Inspired by gingerbread!

After seeing her beautiful styling work on the site last week, it seems perfect today to share a little window into Jo Carmichael‘s world!  This is the Sydney home of Jo, her husband Adam and little Jasmine (just 6 months old), photographed last week during my whirlwind Sydney visit!

Jo and Adam have lived in this super cute Ermington home for three years, slowly renovating it DIY-style over the past two years.  And it’s been a big job!  The pair have knocked down  the kitchen wall, creating an open plan kitchen / dining space, and have removed the dining room window,  replacing it with reclaimed door frames (purchased on ebay for $20!). Other window panes in the space were removed,  reglazed and painted – and now open out onto a brand new outdoor decking area.  The old sunroom adjoining the dining room has been opened up and turned it into a small office for Jo to work from.  The floors throughout have been stripped of carpet and boards polished – and very stubborn wallpaper has been painstakingly removed from all walls (‘the lady before us worked at Grace brothers wallpaper department!’ says Jo.)

A new Ikea kitchen has been re-worked with a custom paint job using a Murobond paint called Ebony – ‘a dark colour without the heavy drama of black’ Jo explains.  Horizontal timber cladding has been used for the walls in the study, kitchen and bathroom to give these areas a ‘distinct Australian contemporary classic look’ – It’s one of Jo’s favourite details in the home.  Other favourite features are the lovely paint tones and colours used throughout, and the large double doors installed in the dining space which spill light throughout the house.

It was so sweet to hear Jo’s inspiration for Jasmine’s room colour – gingerbread!  ‘I wanted a strong colour that would go with pink without it being twee and too girly’.  Mission accomplished!  It’s a Murobond colour called Mud – such an inspired choice, and a great contrast for the white and pink details in the room!

This little house has been a dream first home for Jo and Adam, and a fantastic place to renovate.  Their hard work has certainly paid off – the result is a truly stylish yet friendly, cosy and comfortable family home.  Jo says it’s been a great learning curve ‘we’ve learnt a ton of ways to design and make things, how not to do things and how we’ll make the next house even better’.

And in typical DIY renovation style, having just completed their labour of love, this clever pair already have their sights set on something new!  They’ve decided to make a move to NSW’s Northern beaches to enjoy a different lifestyle and to look for the next project.  WOW!  Serial renovators!

HUGE thanks to Jo and Jasmine for having me run around their house last week with my camera!

Dining room details including sweet gathered blinds on the doors and windows made by Jo

Kitchen details – loving that beachy timber panelling!

Loungeroom and hallway details

Study nook and that excellent Murabond ‘Ebony’ paint colour again

Study nook details

Bedroom details – beautiful  vintage embroidered French Linen pillowcase

Exterior – and the best Australian backyard!

Wednesday 16th February 2011

• Danielle 4 years ago

What a gorgeous home! There are so many details to drool over but I think I love her desk nook the best!

• Annie Bowen 4 years ago

Wow, looks fantastic, what a talented lady. I love the dining room, beautiful texture in the rug. Well done!

• Tracie Ellis 4 years ago

Jasmines room is adorable – great to see such courage used with the gingerbread inspired colour. And I do love the Maxx bedding!

• Meagan 4 years ago

Such a pretty home! Thanks for sharing!

• Jaine Fulcher 4 years ago

Just like Jo’s gorgeous work, her house is just beautiful. So stylish and I love the Ebony colour too.

• Clare 4 years ago

Oh, I want to know how she made those gathered curtains!

• Simon Food Favourites 4 years ago

i wish my home looked like this. everything works so well together :-)

• Jackie 4 years ago

Beautifully balanced in terms of textures, colours and finishes. Work/study would seem so appealing with a nook like that! Wondering if anyone knows where I could find the wooden lightshade above the desk?

• Beautiful! Love that they’re doing so much DIY and that mobile for Jasmine has to be the prettiest I’ve ever seen!

• Jasmin 4 years ago

Love it! I’d love to know what the grey paint in the living room called?

• JAN 4 years ago

would love to see a bigger close up of the murobond kitchen cupboards – clever clever

• Sarah 4 years ago

such a gorgeous place. I love the rug in Jasmines room – would anyone know where it is from or to get one similar.

• Mandy 4 years ago

I love the huge lampshades and the butterfly mobile …. great post !!!

• Kirsty 4 years ago

I love this house – would love to know the colour spec of the light grey wall paint!

• Ina 4 years ago

Sarah, the rug in Jasmine’s room is from Ikea! http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30168286

• Emily 4 years ago

Hello, beautiful house!!

I’m desperate to know what technique or products they used to paint over the ikea cabinets in the kitchen. How has it come up? Is is durable? I’m stuck with a bright yellow kitchen I’m keen to paint over!! Thanks.

• Tanya 4 years ago

Beautiful, beauitful home!

• Claire 1 year ago

Hello, I know that someone has asked this question already, however do you happen to know the name of the gray paint they have used on their living room walls? Thanks in advance!

• Anastasia 1 year ago

OMG. please please please tell me the gray colour it’s PERFECT. I need to know that colour brand and name!!!!

• Leigh 11 months ago

Did anyone find out the name of the pale grey paint colour? It’s SO hard to get the right grey….

• Jo Carmichael 7 months ago

Thank you for liking my home. The colour in the living room is Raw Earth 100% by Murobond. I made the lampshade from weaving soaked cane strips around a blow up beach ball. Very easy to make. Jo.

• Today, I went to the beach front with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.”
    She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally
    off topic but I had to tell someone!