Uncategorized

5 Colours in 5 Days with Kate Banazi – Red

by Jenny Butler
Tuesday 11th January 2011

Today Kate brings us another collection of images and delights in this colourful series. Along with the downloadable wallpaper freebie, make sure you leave a comment on any of this week’s Guest Blog posts to go in the draw to win one of the original prints! -Jenny x

This is today’s FREE DOWNLOADABLE DESKTOP WALLPAPER, custom printed by Kate especially for us! Visit HERE to download! There will be a different desktop wallpaper everyday this week. Check out the video below on how it all came together.

RED from Kate Banazi on Vimeo.

Red, a hugely symbolic colour across different cultures loaded with symbolic meanings.

In India, red is holy, it is a symbol of purity and ritual. Wedding saris are red. In contrast, Western societies see red as a sign of power, danger, sex. Maybe that’s really why wedding saris are red. My Indian Nanna told me not to wear a wedding sari when I got married, but that was probably because she thought I’d run off with her jewellery.

Plus, my sister’s called Ruby. Red rocks.

Tonight we’ll be having Tandoori chicken on the barbeque and then summer pudding. Alistair and Milan are cooking… triple win!

Sign from Third Drawer Down, which has become my favourite shop for gifts, which people actually enjoy receiving class stuff and don’t wish to exchange for credit notes (You know who you are).

This weeks red inks. They look rather berry like, the darkest one I had to stop myself from dipping my fingers in it looked like raspberry puree.

Handmade box from Zakee for my 21st birthday, complete with a Ganesh statue from my Dad and two smurfs which were a wedding present for Al and I from our friend Craig.

Milan a couple of years ago conquering the drop-in. There’s a couple of photos of blood soon after, but I’ll spare you.

A trip to Canberra, Evans is one of my family names.

Sydney, Young St

From our roof NYE 2010

I sent Alistair out to take pics of ‘red’ and this is what happened. Powerhouse museum.

Via Julian. The first time I clocked it I thought it was a picture of my mother, freaky.

Under the city

The mighty Heath Killen

Screenprint test sheet

Screenprint by Karl Maier

Cushion by Camilla Stirling

The best hat by Flora McLean

Via Sandi Vincent

I know its more orange, but this is a wish list dress by Jonathan Saunders

Around the corner

I got this beautiful book from my friend Amy and this is just one of the incredible pages in it. You may see more later in the week, but I’m not sure if I’m quite ready for sharing. Issey Miyake ‘Pleats Please’ photographed by Francois Giacobetti.

Kate

by Jenny Butler
Tuesday 11th January 2011

• Anna 4 years ago

I’m loving this one and I think I’m with you, Kate — those last orangey-reds just made me swoon!

They look like summer, like Sydney.

Beautiful.

• kimbalee 4 years ago

red red red….firey passion in my head. bah bah boom! :-)

• elle 4 years ago

beautiful! red = best colour by far…love the orange berries and the paint tins…gorgeous!

• Amy@AQ-V 4 years ago

Such a lovely blog to guest upon, and a terrific interview you guys did last week!

Mmmm red. Love your imagery and vid Kate… and of course the nutzo commentary always. Poor Nanna.

Might suggest you need some zippy Latin muzak or a voiceover of yourself reading your teenage diary aloud for the vimeos. Now that would be something.

• Kate B. 4 years ago

I’m thinking a bit of Grace Jones does Bhangra?
    Thanks for the comments, red is a pretty good colour, I like wearing it with pink and green.
    And all of Nannas jewellery.

• CapreeK 4 years ago

I love the Young St / Scooter photo – is that another of Alistair’s?

• Liza 4 years ago

red: love, remembrance, bold, energetic & adventurous

I’m enjoying watching the little clips of you creating your works Kate – thankyou!

• Carly 4 years ago

The paint tins look just about edible! I was so hoping you’d do orange this week but I can just about content myself with orangey-red (how awesome is that dress??)… thanks so much for this guest blog, and the wallpapers – so generous. ps – your interview with Lucy was great, and I followed the link to your son’s work – he is just a bit staggeringly good, isn’t he? Loved the ‘toodlepip’ car, and the expression on the driver’s face made me think of the John Birningham book ‘Would You Rather…’ Thanks again :)

• Carly 4 years ago

ps – is there a problem with the link to the wallpaper, or is it just me?

• Kate B. 4 years ago

Carly, my website is down, there’s some problem with the server and because they’re in the UK, I think they may still be snoozing. Apologies, it should be back up shortly.

• Rebecca 4 years ago

Red is my favourite colour!! It reminds me of my grandmother’s red beret!!

• Georgie 4 years ago

I love the luscious diorama with the Smurfs! Unreal banana peel.

• Kate B. 4 years ago

Thankyou, glad you like it!
    Capree, that pic is straight and in focus….. must be one of Als
    Carly, Milan, like me was brought up on John Birmingham, so he is an influence.
    Rebecca, you should get Floras beret-its fantastic!