Uncategorized

5 Colours in 5 Days with Kate Banazi – Green

by Jenny Butler
Thursday 13th January 2011

Who need emeralds when you can have Kermit green carpet and a spaghetti tree?! No idea what I’m talking about? Then read today’s Guest Blog by the hilariously talented Kate Banazi! And download today’s super free green wallpaper here. – Jenny x

This is today’s FREE DOWNLOADABLE DESKTOP WALLPAPER, custom printed by Kate especially for us! Visit HERE to download! There will be a different desktop wallpaper everyday this week. Check out the video below on how it all came together.

GREEN from Kate Banazi on Vimeo.

Green is a household favourite, we all love it. The kitchen worktop is a great khaki shade of green, our bathroom is acidic lime green tiles, and our stair carpet is a great grassy green.

I don’t know why, but the three of us are really drawn to it. In London, our front door was a shade of green that my next door neighbour termed ‘nausea’. There again, her front door was painted what she said was salmon, but I thought was ‘flesh’ in the worst sense of the word.

This is a heavy picture load post, apologies.

Because we’ve got a glut of cucumbers from our vegetable garden, we’re having cucumber and dill salad and a cucumber eyemask. How very 1980s.

I’ll also be making this because I love it, and sugar should count as a vegetable.

I don’t know why this pasta tree was made, got a feeling it was a tv commercial prop that one of parents friends may have worked on. I’m sure my mother may chime up in the comments that it was actually built to make me work for my food. Look at me in my matching outfit. Still got the same haircut.

Coming home one night from Circular Quay.

Matt Huynh takes us to all the best places and gives us balloons as bribes.

I have very fond memories of green shield stamps when I was growing up. We’ve still got a couple of books of them. Green shield stamps remind me of being picked up from nursery by my great grandmother, taken to the supermarket on the way home and baked rice pudding for after dinner. My Indian grandmother used to make a rice pudding called kheer, which we eat with puris.

I love a bit of fairisle. I had a fantastic maxmara fairisle cashmere tank top from when I was a shop girl at Whistles many many years ago. I spent all my wages on clothes, which was a bit rubbish really when you consider I was at college to learn to make clothes. This is a Paul and Joe one on sale…. tempting.

I’ll say it very quietly. Cricket. Does nothing for me, but I do like cricket whites. And mens legs. Especially if they’re attached to Alistair.

Green Door by Shaking Stevens. My mother hated that song. Ruby and I used to sing it all the time, that would be enough to drive anyone mad.

These are our stairs at home. When we ordered it, the man at the desk shouted back into the warehouse “Roy! Roy! Someone actually wants that kermit green carpet.”

My breakfast bowl by my old studio mate May Luk. She kept Lisa and I warm in the winter by putting her kiln on overnight so we wouldn’t have to scrape the ice off of the INSIDE of the windows.

When you grow up with certain views I’m sure they become embedded in your psyche in some sort of way. This is mine, this is home. Plus to boot, this is the sports track I had my greatest ever sporting achievement on. 100metre sprint. I was 10, I came 2nd. I retired shortly after, knowing that i’d never top that. I heard recently Natalie Portman did the same thing with ballet.

This packaging for worming tablets, never fail to amuse and confuse me. The worms … so wrong, but so right!

I went to get my eyes tested at Broadway shopping centre. This is the obligatory carpark shot.

The red poppies in the lush greenery are at a barn opposite my mums house in the UK, the barn is fantastic, about 250 years old and just a little bit crumbly.
Plus no snakes there, which in my eyes is a big bonus.

In our garden. Hopefully there’s no snakes there, I flipping hate snakes.

Marcela found me this carpet. I want it. Come over and we’ll get our lego and farmyard set out.

Whilst we drink mojitos playing farmyard (that sounds so wrong), I’ll be wearing this green dress that Keira wore in Atonement. Sadly, nowhere nearly as stylishly as her. I know, I’ve practised the pose.

This is one of my favourite screenprints on last year, it was from a collaboration with Chris Searl who gave me his photographs to use. Not only is he hugely generous and talented, but so is his wife Kelly.

My Dad came to visit me for my birthday and as a present, he built me two huge vegetable boxes. They’re rather marvellous to say the least. We’ve got stack of vegetables and herbs on the go, underplanted with marigolds to keep the bugs away. Did you know that the name Marigold comes from Marys gold?

The pottery is from my mother and its Hornsea heirloom, we had it in our home when I was growing up and Mum gave it to me when I bought my first home in London. It was pretty much the nicest thing I owned besides the shrunken Maxmara tank top.

When I visit Mum, this is where we walk the dogs every morning, I love watching how it changes through all the seasons.

Milan’s new skateboard, complete with green wheels and bolts.

We have a couple of Leah Giberson paintings, she paints things we like, caravans and cars under covers. They have a really lovely quiet quality to them, and I love her use of light and space.

My ventilator mask which I use when I’m dehazing screens beautifully modelled by Milan who does a mean Darth Vadar impression.

Adriana Mullen. She makes Cauliflower look magnificent! Check out her portfolio and I challenge you to not be inspired to make something delicious for your tea tonight!

Beetles at the Australian Museum.

Alistair’s picture of ‘green’.

Chippendale pub, easy wipe down walls.

The Statue of Liberty guards my mighty cucumbers. Thanks to her eagle eye, we’ve had a huge crop this year. Every meal we’ve had for the last two weeks has had cucumber with it.

The shine is starting to wear rather thin.

Kate

by Jenny Butler
Thursday 13th January 2011

• Karen Pearce 4 years ago

Missed my bus stop cos I was so engrossed by talk of all things green. I love green!

• Marcela Restrepo 4 years ago

It’s been great to see Alistair’s photos of each colour!

• Ooh! Do you think if I had a statue of liberty the snails would stop eating my basil? It’s so cute! Maybe I will look in the op shop today.

• Kate B. 4 years ago

Sorry Karen!
    Marce, I made him work hard!
    Penny, if you asked nicely she might. My basils in a raised wooden bed, that keeps the snails off, try a wooden fruit crate for something smaller, or sharp gravel in a 20cm ring around the plant.

• CapreeK 4 years ago

Still laughing about the Natalie Portman bit…

• Adriana Mullen 4 years ago

Thank you Kate. You are truly an inspiration!

• marcia 4 years ago

Adriana Mullen’s site can be an inspiration for tea and… breakfast, lunch, dinner, souper, snack, …. wonderful photos !

• kimbalee 4 years ago

another enjoyable read…thanks Kate!

• Michelle 4 years ago

Green is my favourite wallpaper so far – love it! But cucumbers every day, even beautiful home-grown ones – no thanks!

• sally 4 years ago

Love, love, love green.. and I think it is very underrated!! I lived out west for quite some time and it is the thing I missed most. I find it to be a very positve colour.. Thanks Kate for brightening my day!

• Lucy 4 years ago

Oooh I’m so glad you did green! It’s my tip-top favourite colour and I’ve been hanging out all week hoping for a green post! I especially love the Hornsea containers….. I have some brown ones but I’m super jealous you have green ones. :-)

• CK 4 years ago

I am really glad someone else loves green. I grew up listening to my Mum whingeing about how horrible green is and refusing to buy me anything even remotely green. It literally took me about 30 years to throw off her shackles and realise it is a glorious, vibrant hue! I love green! (read that and weep, Mum)

• meg 4 years ago

I have been looking forward to green all week as it is my all time favourite colour – and the wallpaper is so refreshing and minty.My favourite green would have to be the sheen on the beetles from the Australia Museum.
    Thanks for your gardening tip on keeping snails away – very helpful.
    The reference to the worming tablets packaging is hilarious!

• emma g 4 years ago

i love love LOVE this post. so many beautiful shades!!

• Sharon Parker 4 years ago

I thought I was the only weird person who was attracted to all things green (ok, maybe not all things, but near enough). Love the post – thanks for the giggles!

• Michelle 4 years ago

Loving the colour theme. My carpet is green too, had a few suggestions that it could be improved. They are so wrong!

• Meaghan 4 years ago

So peaceful and charming :)
    I love green!
    Thanks for sharing!

• Megha 4 years ago

ah yeah mango shrikhand!….nothing ever ever beats that !…and the stuff you get at the shop well does not even come near even by a hair s breath to the home made one s !!….LOVE!!

• Andrea 4 years ago

Kate! Love your blog on kermit the frog green! i have the exact same carpet in my place!!
    Gorgeous pics and wicked humor! love it!

• Kate B. 4 years ago

I am really glad I’m not the only one who likes the green overload, especially liking the fact that others too, believe in a kermit carpet.

• Wendy 4 years ago

Oooohhh, I can’t wait for tomorrow’s colour! Keira’s dress, loved it in the movie, still love it. Each day I think “Oh yes, this is the best colour so far…..” But tomorrow will be the last one….very sad Kate. Thank you Lucy and Jenny for a fantastic start to the 2011 Guest Blog.

• Liza 4 years ago

green with envy as you are one incredibly talented ,artistic & hilariously funny girl!
    thankyou for your daily blog it’s been a so much fun (o: one day to go…

• mae 4 years ago

if sugar was a vegetable I’d be a blimp!!! (I’m a vegetarian). Thank you Kate for your blogs this week. I’ve looked forward to every one of them. :)