Melbourne Home – Olivia Tipler of Mozi

Wednesday 27th October 2010

Lounge / dining room details from the Toorak home of Olivia Tipler.  Bottom left is  ‘Mr Pig’, an antique ‘pig-wolf’ statue  Olivia bought for Daryl in India.  All photos here by Jessica Leski.

Olivia at home with Stella the Cairn Terrier!

Dining room details – LOVE the sweet pear and apple wire tealight lanterns from Mozi’s new ‘the Way to my Heart’ range!  These yellow hearts are sooo cute!

Welcome to the gorgeous Toorak apartment of MOZI co-founder Olivia Tipler, partner Daryl, baby Ivy (7 months old) and Stella the Cairn Terrier!

It is great to see a relatively tiny home designed so perfectly!  When I asked Olivia if she had made any significant changes to the apartment since they moved in, in her own words – they ‘ripped the guys out of it!’.  Her partner Daryl is an architect and got his hand on the place late last year.  A major reno ensued – they knocked out stud walls and the old kitchen, moved the front door to accommodate a new kitchen that looks on to the living room, put in structural beams (which are now a feature of the house) and re-configured the living room to open out on to the deck.   Of course the bathroom also got a makeover, and all doors were taken up to ceiling height to give this modest apartment a much grander feel.  Last but not least, the carpets were ripped up and hardwood floorboards polished. ‘Basically it’s a new apartment!’ says Olivia – and just in the nick of time, because earlier this year the creative pair welcomed gorgeous little Ivy into their family!

Olivia loves the sense of space they have created in their little pad, and her favourite details are the marble bench tops in the bathroom & kitchen, and the brick style tiles in the kitchen and bathroom.  She also loves the local neighbourhood, especially for it’s great cafes (a favourite is the ‘Coin Laundry‘), a lovely park where Stella meets canine buddy Monte (an old ‘bitsa’) every morning, and the tree-lined hilly streets.  Most importantly she says she loves the proximity to the yarra river, the easy drive to the MOZI office!

Of course in addition to it’s new layout and design features, the apartment is styled to perfection with classic mid-century and scandinavian furniture, beautiful textiles, pieces picked up on Olivia’s travels, and colourful details including a good sprinkling of MOZI!  The new tealight lanterns are my favourite!

Thanks so much to Olivia and family for sharing their beautiful home with us!

* Please note these shots were taken not by me, but by my dear friend Jessica Leski, who is a very talented young film director and knows her way around a Canon SLR much better than I do!  Thanks Lesk! x

Loungeroom details

Loungeroom details including the sweet apple tealight lantern from MOZI’s new range

Kitchen details

Bedroom.  More fruit!  And artwork by local painter Carla Fletcher!

Bedroom details

Olivia and baby Ivy!

Bathroom details

Stella and the outdoor area

Jess also photographed MOZI’s new Hampton shop after visiting Olivia’s home!  WOW so gorgeous!

Details from the brand new MOZI Hampton store.

MOZI Hampton store

Wednesday 27th October 2010

• missd 4 years ago

This is one of my favourite homes you’ve shown; it’s really beautiful. The calm neutral backgrounds, the warm woods, the pops of colour and eclectic personal possessions… very inspiring.

• Notting Hill Girl 4 years ago

Your Melbourne homes posts make me want to catch the next plane home to start nesting. I love the vintage Bally/French artwork! Oh, and that dog is adorable too. Fabulous feature as always. NHG x

• Prasanna 4 years ago

I have been lucky enough to meet Olivia and her sister Camilla. They are the most down-to-earth and hardworking business women that I have come to know. Their business is such a huge part of their lives, and they value EVERY customer as if they are a friend.

If any of the readers on here are looking for QUALITY homewares and personal products, I would highly recommend making your way down to one of their stores!

• MissL 4 years ago

Superbly designed Olivia, a credit to you and your husband. I love that you have a neutral background on the walls which allows your artworks the focus they deserve and enhances the collections you have. I always get greedy with colour and end up oversaturating a space.

May I ask you the square metres of your house? I am looking at downsizing into a wee home with two school aged boys and I am rather nervous about it. I think the floor space we are moving to is 100sqm.

• sarah 4 years ago

Hello – 2 questions if you can help me please Olivia – where did you purchase the your rugs and also those two beauiful floral cushions on couch? I need to get some of those!

• Fiona kate 4 years ago

the store looks amazing. it’s so lovely to see your products displayed as MOZi sees them

• Diane 4 years ago

I don’t think there’s anything about Olivia’s apartment that I don’t love! The new MOZI tealights are lovely. Thanks so much for sharing these inspiring images!

• Ray Garrod 4 years ago

What a great home, wonderful relaxing vibe….AND anyone who has a CAIRN Terrrier has wonderful taste anyway!

• Minimel 4 years ago

I’m wondering about the pendant light over the dining table – designer/stockist? anyone? thank you!

• jess 4 years ago

i love the pom poms!

• Katie 4 years ago

This is my dream apartment made real! What impeccable taste you have, Olivia and Darryl! Such restraint with use of form and color! Does anyone know where the Danish looking dining chairs are from??

• Danielle 4 years ago

so lovely!

• Le Tigre Papillon 4 years ago

Love the lamps and tealight lanterns!

• Lynn 4 years ago

What a lovely apartment! So nice to see Olivia’s hand made quilt turned out wonderfully and her Liberty cushions are divine. Beautifully photographed.

• Jade 4 years ago

Katie – not sure if these are exactly the same as Olivia’s dining chairs, but I think these ones from Ikea look similar: http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50162212

(Pretty sure I’ve also seen a similar table from Ikea…)

I, too, love the cushions…I’ve been looking for attractive and brightly coloured, large cushions lately and haven’t found any I love yet!

• kimbalee 4 years ago

WOW…am going out to get me some of those apples and pears…she’ll be apples and pears! yum xx

• Dorry 4 years ago

Absolutely loved your apartment, with your flair and a wonderful architect the results are fantastic!
    Must add that I loved the photo of the darling baby too.

• Anthea 4 years ago

Gosh, I LOVE this apartment! So many things to look at in every photo. Just lovely.

• Sass 4 years ago

How cute is Stella?!

• Desley 4 years ago

MOZI …… decadent

• bron 4 years ago

Gorgeous apartment, so gorgeous in fact I just had to share it on my humble design tumblr http://swoonworthystyle.tumblr.com/

• Sheena 4 years ago

Beautiful gentle stylish place which clearly belongs to beautiful thoughtful woman.
    Bravo O – thanks for letting us in and love from Bermagui.
    x