OK, I understand
Oh Dawn! Did you hear my tummy grumble for this exact pie while I was watching Julie & Julia last week? And have you heard, dear readers, that Dawn just launched her own fancy website? Very nice!! - Jenny x
Watching Julie & Julia, the part where Julia came home from a long day’s work, and made a deliciously thick chocolate cream pie. This recipe is my version of that. It’s great for days when you’ve had stupid bosses and clients from hell. Think no more about work! Make this pie and all your worries will go away! Well, at least while you’re enjoying the pie. It’s so good for eating in bed. Yummy, rich and oh so comforting. Bosses and clients can wait. This pie can’t. Trust me, you got to try this one!
Julie’s Chocolate Cream Pie With Summer Berries!
Serves approximately 6 chocolate lovers
400g sweet shortbread biscuits
400g cooking chocolate
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
50g caster sugar
1 egg (approx 59g, beaten)
50g unsalted butter, chopped
1 cup or 250ml pouring cream
300ml thickened cream
good handful of fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, any sort you like)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a food processor, process shortbread until it resembles a breadcrumb-like texture.
3. Add egg and caster sugar until mixture just comes together.
4. Divide into 6 and shape each into individual tart tins, or into one large tart tin.
5. Bake in oven till pastry become nice and golden brown. Remove and cool tart shells.
6. To make ganache, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place cream and butter in a saucepan and bring almost to a boil. Pour hot mixture over chocolate and stir until smooth. Spoon ganache among tart shells, then refrigerate for 5 minutes or until ganache just sets.
7. Meanwhile, to make orange cream, using an electric mixer, whisk cream to soft peaks. Fold in orange zest.
8. Top chocolate tarts with a spoonful of cream along with your favourite berries and enjoy!
- Dawn x