Today’s post is a collaboration with Lucy Bock, one of our talented designers at the studio of Hecker Guthrie. One look at her blog, her Pinterest boards, her hair colour or nail polish for that matter, and Lucy's penchant for colour is clear. With this in mind, we've decided to embrace a specific colour theme for this month's Hunt / Gather column. ‘Radiant Orchid’ is this year's Pantone colour of the year, which has inspired us to experiment with a luscious palette of mauve, lilac and berry tones.
While we always celebrate colour in the studio, the Hecker Guthrie team also stress that one should never be governed by the 'colour du jour' when it comes to creating a timeless interior (so don’t buy that purple toaster just yet!). We recommend heeding the advice of our director, Paul Hecker - 'Don’t be governed by colour trends, for there is no such thing as good or bad colour – just good or bad use of colour!'
With this in mind, we've used Pantone's 'Radiant Orchid' as a springboard to explore a variety of different combinations and hues for this month's product round up. Enjoy!
1. 'Quartz 1' wooden illustration by Mariken Steen available from Ferm Living (99.00 Euro) — Printed on 13mm thick birch plywood, this sweet little illustration by Norwegian artist Mariken Steen is beautiful either hung on a wall, or clustered with other objects on a shelf or sideboard. The work celebrates a delicate composition of abstracted geometric forms in pastel hues of pink and magentas, punctuated with black and grey.
2. PET ES Pendant lamps available from Safari Living (from $370) – A beautiful bi-product of plastic bottle waste contaminating the Amazon, these PET woven lights utilise ancient traditions to create handcrafted, contemporary and colourful light fittings.
3. Tapestry by Rose Jensen Holm aka Yesvincent ($640.00) – This special weaving by Rose Jensen Holm aka Yesvincent shows how mauve tones can be bravely combined with other bold hues (green, teal and coral) to spectacular effect. Rose from Yesvincent learnt this impressive craft from her mother, who was a wonder weaver in the 1970's. Based in Brisbane, Rose usually does custom commissions, but we couldn't resist sharing this impressive recently completed piece. All of her tapestry weavings are made with hand dyed Australian Wool.
4. Agate Trivets from Leif Shop (US$22.00) - Used as coasters, small trivets, or simply for decorative appeal, these vibrant pieces of natural agate add a bold, graphic element to the dining table.
5. Elevated Vase by Muuto from Nest.co.uk (GBP£78.00) – This vase by Muuto is currently on our 'want' list! We love the combination of delicately tinted translucent glass with timber base. Designer Thomas Bensen says 'The materials are inspired by the flowers and branches I would put in the vase. The wood represent the roots in the soil, whilst and the glass the airy treetop, as it stands in nature'.
6. Watercolour pink plate by Bonnie and Neil ($65.00) – Colour-loving Melbourne design duo Bonnie and Neil have created their beautiful watercolour plate series in a range of three colours. The deep pink colourway is a winner - pretty yet punchy!
7. 'Banded Opal' Soap Rocks from Third Drawer Down ($25) - This Opal Soap Rock from popular Melbourne retailer Third Drawer Down offers an affordable, quirky styling statement for the bathroom.
8. 'Happiness I' Lithograph, 88 x 75cm, by David Band (AU$1300). David Band's distinctive 'Happiness' lithographs were created in 2010, before David tragically passed away in 2011. A much respected and well loved figure in the local art and design community, David's legacy lives on through Mahon and Band, the design studio David established in 1996 with his wife, graphic designer Fiona Mahon. David's prints are still available to purchase online here.
9. Two-tone balloon from Lightly ($25.00) – These colourful two-toned balloons from Lightly are made in Japan, we love this pastel take on Radiant Orchid. These balloons come in a pack of six - the ultimate grown-up party decoration.
10. Paint Stroke iPhone case by Rifle Paper Co. from Lark Store ($54.95) – This vibrant iPhone cover by much loved US based stationary brand Rifle Paper Co. incorporates just a hint of our on-trend Pantone colour in all its bold and abstract glory!
11. Star Bright Berber rug available from Fossik ($725.00) – Australian based online store Fossik is a treasure trove for rugs, quilts and other far-fetched curios. At the studio we especially love their Boucherouite rugs. This one, called Star Bright, is equally at home on the wall or underfoot, but being a one off, you will have to be quick if you want it in your home!
12. Kip & Co. x Obus cushion cover ($79) - This vivid printed cushion with lilac pom pom detail is a collaboration between Melbourne bedlinen label Kip & Co, and local fashion label Obus.
13. Paul Smith for Stelton Dot bowls available from RoyalDesign (from $122.00) – Fashion designer Paul Smith collaborated with Stelton to produce a beautiful limited edition range of objects for the design house’s 50th anniversary. We could not go past this collection of exquisite trinket bowls in six shades of mauve / purple.
14. Vitriini glass boxes by Iittala available from Top3 by Design (starting from $80.00) – These beautiful glass boxes by Scandinavian design house Iittala are the perfect bedside container for precious jewels and other trinkets. Their name, ‘Vitrini’, is derived from the French word ‘Vitrine’, meaning ‘showcase’.
For more inspiration from the clever team at Hecker Guthrie, do check out their website and view their incredible impressive portfolio of work. If you have an iPad, be sure to also check out Hecker Guthrie's brand new iPad APP, which showcases the most stunning selection of their recent projects!