Shopping

Marcelle Crosby · Folded Paper Dresses

Tuesday 11th September 2012

Paper Dresses by Marcelle Crosby

Marcelle Crosby with her paper dresses. Photo – Lucy Feagins

Melbourne maker Marcelle Crosby makes these pretty folded paper dresses from maps and other printed papers… such a sweet and simple idea, and the perfect addition to any little girl’s bedroom.

Marcelle comes from a fashion and homewares retail background, but has spent the last 6 years working as a nanny, both in New York and here in Melbourne.  Her time working with little ones in recent years inspired the design for these sweet decorative pieces.

‘The first two dresses that I made were for the two girls that I used to look after’ Marcelle recalls. ‘I wanted to give them something pretty and handmade to hang in their room. It really started from there. I now sell in retail stores, and have sent these dresses all over the world.  I fold them at home, just churning them out – it’s a very simple business’.

Marcelle’s passion for retail started young, when her parents opened much loved homewares retailer House in Brighton (when Marcelle was 13!).  ‘I used to work after school and on weekends. Once my parents sold the business, I still worked at House for the new owners. I completed a short course in visual merchandising and used to do their windows and dispays’.

Since those early days Marcelle has working in buying and visual merchandising for various respected Australian retailers, including Supply and Demand, Wishlist and Nine West.  These days, in-between making her paper creations, Marcelle juggles PA work and retail work at Armadale baby boutique Lulabie.

Marcelle’s dresses are stocked at various local retailers listed here.  For wholesale enquiries please contact Marcelle via her website.

Paper Dresses by Marcelle Crosby

Tuesday 11th September 2012

• Kirsty 2 years ago

Aren’t these just the cutest thing ever!

• Edwina 2 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. With 4 little girls born in our family this year, I think I know what this aunty is giving for Christmas!

• Lise 2 years ago

What a lovely, simple idea.

• Vicki 2 years ago

Some people so talented !! Great idea!

• Laura Passey 2 years ago

Aren’t these just adorable! I think they could be for big girls’ rooms too!

• Karma 2 years ago

WOW!!
    Like they say, just ” Keep it Simple” . … And these beautiful little frocks are “Simply Sweet”!!
    Clever design, pretty colors, a sentimental gift that will last a life time.
    (My fav is the map of NYC)

Clever girl, and not just a pretty face!!

• Kath W 2 years ago

So sweet!

• Tarnya 2 years ago

These are gorgeous!

• Elements 2 years ago

So cute and so so clever…..they would look perfect in my little girls room.

• Paula 2 years ago

YEY! Had seen these on pinterest and was looking for who made them….great find

• Neroli 2 years ago

Yet more proof that the simplest things are often the best. These are perfect for girls of all ages and appropriate for so many different spaces: bedrooms, hallways, even office walls. True style has so many applications, don’t you think?

• Ariel 2 years ago

Folded paper dresses is a great idea. How unique. Ever since I started redecorating my home, I always surf the web for new ideas. You should see the ideas that Simply Decorate has on their website. Every time I Design A Room, I check out their page. Even though I work for them, I can honestly say they have the best room decorating I have ever seen.

• Amanda 2 years ago

Ummm, no, not unique. A failed attempt to copy the fabulous dresses that Annex has been making for many years: http://annex.net.nz/Travel-wardrobe. Pity people have to rip other people off rather than coming up with their own ideas. You can find Annex’s dresses at Izzy and Popo in Melbourne and more Australian stockists soon. They have been sold in NZ for years now, and won the ‘best art’ piece award on the recent nz ‘the block’

• eeloh 1 year ago

that’s unfair. There’s room for both, surely – the high end stuff made by Annex and the simpler models here? I imagine Marcelle is not selling her creations for $180? Paper dolls and dresses were invented by neither of these people – you can find tutorials easily on the web. Me, I’m happy making my own, using these for inspiration.

• Hi Marcelle
    I love your dresses, what a great and unique idea. Your sister Kate was in Jindabyne and came in for a massage, we started to chat and realised the connection. You and I were at primary school together before you moved. Belinda Wheeler, Carmen Thompson were others in our class. It’s great to hear you are well and she told me to check out your website to see what you now do.
    Take care and when you’re next in Jindabyne maybe you can pop in for a massage.
    Ciao, Lisa

• Raewyn 9 months ago

Marcelle, what absolutely gorgeous little dresses. I agree there is room for everyone, my daughter made me an origami Mothers Day card at primary school just like this, and she’s 32! I took a look at Annex, stunning, they have taken the basic concept and put on their own individual stamp. Most craft ideas are recycled with each generation, to lay claim on any as ones own is possibly quite wrong.
    Love & lollipops :)