Uncategorized

The Trials and Triumphs of Technology with Able and Game

by Jenny Butler
Wednesday 17th August 2011

Another hilarious Guest Blog from Able and Game, no doubt some of you are burning your retinas off currently, as per their illustration below! Don’t forget to leave a comment before 10pm tomorrow to be in the draw to win a splendid Able and Game gift pack, check out all the details here. – Jenny x

Technology and the internet is a funny thing in this current age, because it seems there are three distinct groups of people using it. Young people who only know a time when information comes in an instant, a middle group that adopted this technology with vigour but still remember a time without it, and then the people who have no idea what the internet is. I am someone who is very happy to be in the middle section, as the thought of my teenage self on Facebook makes me shudder.

You miss half the film if you sit with your phone reading every actor’s biography on Wikipedia.

I have developed the annoying habit of finding it almost impossible to get through a film without picking up my phone and reading Wikipedia to find out who is in the film and reading their biography. I watched The King’s Speech the other night, a film almost everyone said was amazing. I found it dull and was wondering what the fuss was all about. Then I realised why it was so dull, because I sat reading up on the British Royal Family for most of it.

Waking in the morning and burning your retina as you read emails/twitter/facebook before your eyes have a chance to adjust to the light.

The addiction of a smart phone is often painful and every morning my poor eyes do not reap the benefits of this technology. I rip the phone from the charger and start checking my emails and my eyes burn in pain from too much light. You would think I would turn the brightness of the screen down but my brain isn’t working at that stage, I’m just looking for my fix.

Anna and Gareth x

by Jenny Butler
Wednesday 17th August 2011

• Liz aka Betty Jo 3 years ago

So with you on that morning eye blast of techo light infusion. It’s very unpleasant, but I stupidly do it most mornings…..thanks for the guest post chuckles xxLiz

• Phoebe 3 years ago

I too often thank the god of technology that Facebook and the like was not around when I was younger. I have enough cringey memories as it is.

• monica 3 years ago

I do the EXACT same with the IMDB app on my iphone… it’s especially difficult when watching a foreign film, but I persist! Of course it means I need to watch films at least twice if they’re really good to make sure I haven’t missed all the nuances. Which is why I looked up IMDB in the first place…
    PS: I turn down the brightness at night while lulling myself to sleep playing Solitaire…

• anna 3 years ago

why do we burn our retinas first thing each day hmmmm.

• Claire 3 years ago

I am the person in the second photo!

Though, I still remember photocopying the World Book for school assignments (instead of copying and pasting Wikipedia) and once spent two solid weeks trawling the microfiche (sp?) archives of 1974 newspapers in the State Library to research the media’s response to Cyclone Tracy. I remember when information was precious and required effort to uncover… but I still have a facebook and a twitter and spend most of my day teaching people how to google things.

yay for the middle people.

• Amelia 3 years ago

I love IMDB… because at least every third video we get, there is an actor from the wire in it. And no matter who it is, my husband is convinced he played Clay Davis, and starts saying “shhheeeeeiiiittt”. IMDB allows me to look up the correct character name (NEVER has it actually been Clay Davis). Argument won! Hooray!

• elissa c 3 years ago

I do that IMDB thing too. Especially when you recognise a face and can’t place it.

• I’m a middle person too! Yes to IMDB addiction and YES to retina burning. I wonder what my parents did with the World Book Encyclopedia that spanned our shelves. They must have spent a fortune on it. (probably at least 2 months’ worth of ISP fees!).

• Alana 3 years ago

I’m currently reading this burning my retinas in the wee hours of the morning!! Hilarious!
    Love that drawing – it’s me

• mae 3 years ago

i can’t say i share your wikipedia addiction but the second pic is ME.

• Nadine 3 years ago

I know… the thought of me on FB as a teenager is terrifying! I have disabled the internet on my phone. I use it enough at home in the office! I have friends who comment on FB when we’re out and it’s weird…. should I be complimented that their status update is about how good a night they’re having or pissed off ‘cos they’re too busy updating their status every few minutes to ‘really’ enjoy their night? :) HIDE your phone when you watch a movie. :)

• Mikaela Earl 3 years ago

Georgous! We visit Perth last year and found that coffee shop! YUMMO!