Uncategorized

5 Colours in 5 Days with Kate Banazi – Brown

by Jenny Butler
Friday 14th January 2011

Sadly we find ourselves at the last post of Kate Banazi’s Guest Blog but we end with a bang – BROWN!  This is your last chance to leave a comment and go in the draw to win one real life print, selected from any of this weeks downloadable wallpapers. Lucy and I have absolutely loved every second of this colourful week, thanks a million Kate! – Jenny x

This is today’s FREE DOWNLOADABLE DESKTOP WALLPAPER, custom printed by Kate especially for us! Visit HERE to download! There has been a different desktop wallpaper everyday this week. Check out the video below on how it all came together.
BROWN from Kate Banazi on Vimeo.

So, last colour today. I know I could have done one of the other secondaries or one of the multitudes of hues, but I went with multicoloured (because I’m greedy like that) mixed together. Yup, Brown. Wood, earth, hair, skin, its warm and reassuring. It’s also the colour of chocolate and deep fried food. Perfect.

I grew up in a flat that had gloss brown panelled walls a brown carpet and a brown corduroy sofa. If you don’t believe me there’s a picture below. It’s a black and white photo but you get the drift. The 1970’s were mainly brown with pops of colour. Maddie told me the Australian equivalent was mission brown.

Pistachio and strawberry always look enhanced with a scoop of chocolate. You can’t deny it. As an ‘anchor’ of course.

Brown was also the colour of the beautiful, borrowed John Galliano dress I was in when I fell ‘ill’ at my friends 21st birthday party. The shame of it still lingers. Sorry A.B.

There was also the song ‘Brown Girl in the Ring’ by Boney M. which my dad told me, was written about me. I duly went to school and told all my friends and was rather put out when a couple of them told me that I was mistaken, actually their parents had told them it was about THEM.

Anyway this print being multicoloured and fluro with a delicious purpley brown layered ontop with stars n stuff and then real powdered gold and silver. I chucked everything at this one, can’t you tell?

This is because I found out recently that the Universe is beige apparently. I wasn’t surprised. In my opinion, space really came into its own in the ’70s.

Tonight we’ll be consuming Yorkshire puddings with rare roast beef and horseradish, then there will be Yorkshire puddings with chocolate sauce. Yorkshire puddings are GOOD!

Pencil drawing by mother, Pauline Locke Mum, taught me not only to draw but a really strong appreciation of colour. Her biggest words of wisdom was to imagine the colours where sometimes there wasn’t any to be seen.

The ‘brown’ room. This was my dads hair at it’s very smallest. Ruby must have been sedated, the kid never slept, and as I’m smiling, the portrait taker Ron, must have bribed me with chocolate.

When I was 7, Dad took me to see Star Wars at Tottenham Court Road Cinema. There was surround sound and I was enraptured. My friends and I at school used to re-enact the movie every playtime. Everyone used to rave about Luke or Han Solo. Me? It was Chewie all the way.  Still is. Chewie’s 8 foot tall, c’mon who are you going to feel safe with out of the three of them? I refuse to be ashamed by my Chewie love any longer.

Bob Peak is one of my favourite illustrators. His was a style I had a real affinity to when I was drawing at college as well as my drawing tutor Howard Tangye, who was hugely encouraging and inspiring. I just wish I’d listened to him a bit more.

Ligne Roset wooden armchair. I covet these. One will do. Alistair can sit on the floor, he prefers the dog anyway.

When Marcela goes home to Colombia, she always brings me back this chocolate. I think they sell it in Erskinville now, but I like to make her work for the joy of bringing joy to me. This chocolate is delicious, it’s almost savoury rather than sweet.

I did a job for Bloomsberg Business week a while back about ‘the Black Swan’. Alistair went out and found these ones locally, got the shot I needed and then they all did this. Synchronised armpit tweak! Do birds have armpits?

I love this pink on ginger and chocolate brown, great combo.

Milan’s room is so messy he cant find his other shoe, but this blue pops on the brown. Last time Milan misplaced a shoe, we found it in our neighbours house 5 doors down. Their dog had come round to visit Stan and had taken it home with her. Way more palatable than the time Stan hid a meaty bone underneath Milan’s pillow. Nice and sharing.

Amazing photo essay about IBM computers via Aqua Velvet

My friends Troy and Stephano are ‘Necklush‘ This is one of many I want to have, their colour combos are lovely.

QVB (pic by Al) Sydney.

Broadway (pic by Al) Sydney.

James Brown is a superlative printmaker and illustrator, this is one of many of his screenprints that is on my list of purchases for this year. I even know where it’s going to hang.

My friend Jenny made us dinner the other night and mongrammed my pie. She knows I love puff pastry. She knows I love pies and type. I’ll be disappointed now if she doesnt keep this up every time now.

I got three birthday cakes last year. THREE! I had to share them though and the middle one had strawberries in it so it counts as a daily fruit portion.

Mum gave me this cookery book about 20 years ago, possibly more. Its an excellent seasonal book and one that really got me hooked on how to cook.
As it was written in the 70s there are references to the difficulties of obtaining the ‘exotic avocado pear’ and that aubergines were ‘hard to find but would impress your guests.’

Stanley like plastic too.

Aesop Sydney… it smells delicious in there. And those brown apothecary bottles are so well styled.

Pete Roseman makes the most incredible paintings. We’ve fallen in love with more than a couple of them. I love this detail of one where the chocolate base sets off the colours so beautifully.

Marni polka dot wallet. I’d have no money left to put inside it after I bought it though.

War memorial Hyde Park Sydney (pic by Al).

Stanley the Love Dog. He really does have a hard life. We found him in the pound three years ago and he ends up like this most nights. I’m going to get into so much trouble for putting this pic up, you have no idea. But pink and brown rock together, and Jenny and Lucy said I couldn’t put up the naked pics I had, so this has to be it.

So to sign off, thank you all and Lucy and Jenny, for your lovely comments and reading my ramble for the week. Hope you’ve enjoyed a snippet of what I like and what we’ve been eating.

I’ll be mainly watching Magnum PI this weekend and possibly going for a swim at Dawn Fraser, what about you?

Kate

by Jenny Butler
Friday 14th January 2011

• Anna 4 years ago

You are the cuteness! And love your browns — such a great post, even though it makes me want to go and have (more) chocolate, damn you!

• kimbalee 4 years ago

..on this blustery Melb morning, i’m watching all the (brown) leaves get thrown about my garden. sigh.

• CapreeK 4 years ago

Fantastic, Kate! I think this is my favorite print of the week. Also, thank you for introducing me to Pete Roseman’s work; I’m stunned!

• Meaghan 4 years ago

Thanks Kate! I love your comments and I now have a shopping list – just need to wait for pay day or a few :)

• Michelle H 4 years ago

Thanks for your inspirational colour posts this week, you have inspired me to do the same and express/discover what it is I like (or dislike) about colours. Its a great exercise for all the senses, I will have to do brownas well as an excuse to eat more chocolate!

• Cate 4 years ago

So beautiful – thank you!

• Clare 4 years ago

I love today’s print! I set it as my desktop. My partner thinks it’s funny that I can find such “offensively loud” images to set as my desktop.* I think he has no taste. I hope I win the screenprint, and I will choose today’s, and he will have to look at it forever! Actually, I think he’ll quite like it when it’s on the wall, instead of a desktop.

* He once asked where I got my previous desktop from. I replied I couldn’t remember, but could probably google and track it down if he wanted it also. He made this loud, snorty noise and yelped “No! Not at all! I just couldn’t work out where on earth you got such a distracting desktop!”

• meg 4 years ago

Stanely your dog is so lovely! Looks like he would have a great personality. Love that picture of him with the plastic dog. Celebrating brown with essentials like chocolate, and Chewie is so awesome – I was and still am a big fan of Chewie and proudly so!

Thanks Kate for an amazing journey through 5 colours,and your videos creating your prints. I am really opening up my eyes to colour alot more after your enlightening and funny posts.I really like the way you have referenced the colours back to music and sound as well – very cool and good taste in music too! Have really enjoyed it each day and hope you can do more posts for TDF in future!

• Kate B. 4 years ago

I have been reliably informed that chocolate is a bean therefore is a vegetable therefore 5 portions a day.
    Easy.
    I was a bit concerned about a brown post, that everyone would be disappointed, but the Universe being brown really decided it for me.
    Michelle, I quite like the challenge of using colours I’m not particularly fond of to see them in a new context. Sometimes it makes for a positive change. Most of the time if I’m honest, it just reinforces why I don’t like it.

• Kate B. 4 years ago

Thanks for the comments!
    I especially think the offensively loud comment is one to be cherished.
    I did chuck everything and the kitchen sink at it.

• Ray Garrod 4 years ago

Kate – What a week of fantastic posts – and a great way to start each day – with wit, humour and refreshing colour. A refreshing change from interiors and meticulous style and sauveness …… My favourtie ones – blue (which I dont normally – but you’ve converted me, Green – not normally on my radar but you made it scuh an exciting colour, and today Brown – no retro person like me would be complete without brown in their lives…are you sure you werent born 20 years earlier?? Fantastic mix of images too….

• Marcela Restrepo 4 years ago

Love that new print!! I like how you played with the foreground and background.
    Fingerprints are those in the chocolate! caught!

• Bianca 4 years ago

What a fantastic week full of colour!
    I was sceptical about Brown at first but you’ve put a whole new spin on it.
    I was trying to pick my favourite colour but they are all too good to pick just one :)
    Thanks Kate.

• Lauren T 4 years ago

Loved all the colour inspiration!
    Beautiful job
    Thanks Kate

• Adam W 4 years ago

The Cookery Year was also in the library of 3 books that I learnt to cook from; the others being Delia’s Cookery Course and Katie Stewart’s Times Cookery Book – all way more useful than Larousse. Loving your work KB.

• May Luk 4 years ago

Funny and brilliant. But you knew that already.
    “-)